1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now that's BIG

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Space' started by siffert_fan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Astronomers have just discovered the largest thing in the universe (so far)--a large quasar group (LQG) that extends 4 BILLION light years across. That is over 3 times larger than current cosmological theory says should be able to exist!

There are numerous stories on line about it. Just Google "Large Quasar Group" and go from there.

Just to give an idea of how enormous that is, the Milky Way is 100,000 light years across, and the galaxy nearest to us is 2.5 million light years away.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

You think that's big you should see my ex wife.....

4. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Meph

Does she work at NASA? Several of my co-workers have behinds big enough to have planets orbiting around them.LOL

Mephistopheles likes this.
  5. Mephistopheles

Actually as per your suggestion siffert_fan I have read up on it and it's size is mind boggling 1200 Megaparsecs at it's widest when the boffins thought the largest structure could be no more than 370 Megaparsecs across, and if that thing represents a galactic nuclie then what size is the galaxy it is the centre of?

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  6. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Of course it's not quite accurate to say this IS the largest structure in the universe to have been identified so far. Like everything else in the universe when we look into distant objects and quasars in particular we are also looking back in time.
    That structure they've just detected has probably went a very long time ago indeed.

7. Fenderman

Fenderman Rooters Reporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    ... or it is now considerably larger:thinking: Why break only break one humanly constructed "universal constant" rule?

8. Mephistopheles

How enormous must the black hole be that is driving that thing?

9. Fenderman

Fenderman Rooters Reporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I suspect pretty damn :oing massive. Heh, heh.:D

10. Mephistopheles

Well I never saw nowt like that on Star Trek, fact certainly is stranger than fiction.....

Fenderman likes this.

Share This