Nigel Mansell

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by The Artist....., Aug 15, 2011.

1. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    you mean this:

this:

and this

Completely agree:

Although I'd chuck in this for our Nige too

Fenderman and VanChallis like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. VanChallis

VanChallis Points Scorer

Thanks Rasputin for making up for my lack of time/laziness! :) A gentleman and a scholar :goodday:

4. VanChallis

VanChallis Points Scorer

Ahh, picking up Senna on the in-lap. A beautiful moment! I love how the crowd just go insane when it happens too. It's funny, but the British press seemed to back off of Senna after this :D

5. KekeTheKing

KekeTheKing Banned Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Just came across this clip of Mansell in a review of the 1991 season. (Note - Nigel uses some colorful language here)

6. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    That's unusual "Our" Nige, moaning.

Slyboogy likes this.
  7. KekeTheKing

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Here's Senna moaning about Mansell.

Fenderman likes this.
  8. KekeTheKing

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    And a humble moment of reflection for Nige after the 1991 campaign.

Galahad likes this.
  9. Dario Resta

Dario Resta Podium Finisher

I can't stand Nigel, mainly because he probably complained to his Mrs that the dinner wasn't quite right, or the angle of the telly was wrong. Nigel Whinged for England, or the Isle Of Man or somewhere. The rest of the quote above I totally agree with (apart from the 'tache).

Pyrope likes this.
  10. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    You either loved or hated Mansell.

You love him because he knew how to overtake and it was spectacular as well and you know it involves a Murray Walker moment to go with it

You hate him because he did whinge a bit even when he had the superior Williams in 1992

Mansell captured the crowd in a different way to Senna and was probably more popular than Prost because you had to love his never say die spirit...Mark Webber / Juan Montoya are pale comparisons to him

gethinceri likes this.
  11. You think that the two of them having about 25 Grand Prix victories less than him might have anything to do with it? :snigger:

12. Slyboogy

Slyboogy World Champion Contributor

As much as an eeeedeeeeot Montoya was before he left the sport and "broke" his head, he was much better than Webber, and if he stayed i think that he would be a good comparison compared to Mansell, plus he was quite likeable due to being an eeedeeeot!

13. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Webber seems to make comparisons of himself to Mansell being a late developer into winning races but he does not have the race craft of Mansell

Neither did Montoya because he was such a hot head and was prone to some stupid mistake but he was a joy to watch at Williams when kept overtaking Schumacher

14. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Mansell had his detractors, and that's understandable because there were times when he didn't do himself any favours to say the least.
    But at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the action on the track, not the blah-blah-blah from drivers whoever they are. And when it comes to the action on the track, Mansell was one of the top drivers in what in my opinion must be seen as a generation of drivers of exceptionally high calibre.

gethinceri likes this.
  15. Yes, Mansell was as balsy and as hard and as brave as anyone in an extremely tough driver era.

Juan Pablo, in comparison, drove in a cheap era which was the post-Hakkinen / pre-Hamilton/Vettel gap.

There was only Schumacher and Alonso and Raikkonen...and he got his ass handed to him by Kimi who was only in F1 for the money...and Alonso is finding out just how tough it is to beat the likes of Hamilton/Vettel. Schumacher had huge advantages and has been dismantled without them.

gethinceri likes this.
  16. Vortex

Vortex Race Winner

Don’t talk wet! even in a Mansell thread you need to have a dig at Schumacher, I think you’re obsessed with him!

Slyboogy likes this.
  17. Back at ya!

We were discussing the toughness of the Mansell era which included Senna, Prost, Piquet, Rosberg, Lauda and even Schumacher himself.

They were giants.

Schumacher won titles after Mansell, Prost and Senna were gone and before Vettel and Hamilton arrived.

Ralf, Montoya, DC, JV, Hill, Massa, Barrichello, Irvine, Webber, Heidfeld, Alesi ... they were all Number 2s or eratic and inconsistent number 1s...but not even the best of them were in the Mansell-Senna-Prost-Piquet-Rosberg-Lauda class. Not a single one!

Hakkinen was the only Number 1 on the grid until Alonso and Raikkonen got cars to drive. Once Alonso/Raikkonen got into competitive cars, Schumacher got real competition again...and not just from one guy (chiefly Hakkinen before his bad accident in Australia in 2001).

The driver era mid-May, 1994 - end of 2002 was a cheap era. It only had two proper Aces (MSC, HAK). Any Grand Prix great will tell you that.

Senna's_right_foot and F1ang-o like this.
  18. Vortex

Vortex Race Winner

Including yourself right? lol

Slyboogy and gethinceri like this.
  19. Stewart, Moss, Surtees.

You seriously going to compare JV-Hill-DC-Alesi-Berger-Montoya-Fisichella-Webber-Button-Hakkinen to the likes of Senna-Prost-Mansell-Piquet-Rosberg-Lauda?

Seriously?

F1ang-o likes this.
  20. Vortex

Vortex Race Winner

Umm, where did I say anything of the sort? lol :thinking:

21. Vortex

Vortex Race Winner

I agree!

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice