Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

I think he's good, but not great. I think, if he was an ace, he would have managed a win somehow in his career, regardless of the equipment, like Button at Honda, Kubica at BMW, Vettel at Torro Rosso, or Alonso winning titles for Renault. I don't think he's good enough to warrant a top drive.

I fail to see that Alonso winning titles for Renault quite fits into this grouping; that car dominated the first half of 2005 and the first half of 2006 and we know what life is like for a Briatore #2.

But not taking a win does not automatically make you a worse driver. There are, I'd imagine, few who would rate (for example) Peter Gethin's as superior to Chris Amon's.

After 100 races you could say extremely similar things about Button, save for Button's season long defeats to Ralf Schumacher and Fisichella.

I fail to see that Alonso winning titles for Renault quite fits into this grouping; that car dominated the first half of 2005 and the first half of 2006 and we know what life is like for a Briatore #2.

But not taking a win does not automatically make you a worse driver. There are, I'd imagine, few who would rate (for example) Peter Gethin's as superior to Chris Amon's.

After 100 races you could say extremely similar things about Button, save for Button's season long defeats to Ralf Schumacher and Fisichella.
That's a fair point, but all I'm saying is he's good, but not great. He just hasn't done enough.

Makes sense to me; he's been there long enough, and it hasn't happened. He's like... the new Heidfeld.

And Jenson was motorsport's Tim Henman until he lucked into a competitive car. They say that you make your own luck, well that's wrong. You get lucky and then you make the most of it. Nico hasn't got lucky yet, but when he does I'm sure he will take full advantage.

Whilst I agree he legally completed the distance in the quickest time you also have to say that he too would not have won that race if it was for Piquet Jr doing what he did so he doesn't really deserve the winners trophy either. If they really had wanted to call a 'fair' result they would have gone back to the lap before Piquet crashed and called the result there - which would make Massa the winner and world champion for 2008 - which is exactly why they didn't do it as despite it being the fair result it would have been unfair as if that had of been the result everyone would have approached the races afterwards in a different manner.

What if's and what for's but sorry I can't credit Rosberg with than win in Singapore either.

His real chances came in Malaysia and Singapore 09 and I'm afraid he blew them. Maybe 3rd time lucky eh? (hope not for the sake of my bank account).

We'll have to disagree Cook. Yes the other drivers did do the best they could at the time but I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. When Schumacher had all his points took off him in 97 people weren't promoted to race winners were they?

Massa was winning that race fair and square until the incident took place -would he have gone on to win? we'll never know.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. At least we can agree we don't think Alonso was the winner that day!

Massa was winning that race fair and square until the incident took place -would he have gone on to win? we'll never know.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. At least we can agree we don't think Alonso was the winner that day!

Didnt Massa have problems with his fuel rig in the pits? What happened happened, Nico at the end of the day finished best of the legit cars, the only solution IMHO was to have removed Alonso and kept everything else exactly as is.

Didnt Massa have problems with his fuel rig in the pits? What happened happened, Nico at the end of the day finished best of the legit cars, the only solution IMHO was to have removed Alonso and kept everything else exactly as is.

Yeah on a pitstop he only took coz of the piquet crash. A stop that was carried out under pressure. Given him coming in under normal circumstances we don't know what would have happened.

As I say we better agree to disagree coz I don't think we can count Nico as the winner as he too benefited from something that should never have happened

Everyone benefited from something that should never have happened, same thing everytime there is a safety car or crash or change in weather

The illegal beneficiary Renault should have been removed from the results in which case Nico would have won full stop

Its just that the FIA did not act until much much too late (after the season)

Nothing to agree or disagree about

them there are the facts surrounding the incident

Everyone benefited from something that should never have happened, same thing everytime there is a safety car or crash or change in weather

The illegal beneficiary Renault should have been removed from the results in which case Nico would have won full stop

Its just that the FIA did not act until much much too late (after the season)

Nothing to agree or disagree about

them there are the facts surrounding the incident

I must say, I absolutely agree with you on this one.

Guys - The Piquet jnr incident occurred in 2008. The FIA chose to take no action against Fernando Alonso as he explained he had no part in "crashgate". Unless any of you have any specific evidence that you can share with us apart from opinion, hearsay and conjecture it would be much appreciated if you'd drop this now.

Any more revisionist theory will be deleted.

Cheers

FB

nico%20rosberg%20caricature%20formula%201%20williams.jpg

Guys - The Piquet jnr incident occurred in 2008. The FIA chose to take no action against Fernando Alonso as he explained he had no part in "crashgate". Unless any of you have any specific evidence that you can share with us apart from opinion, hearsay and conjecture it would be much appreciated if you'd drop this now.

Any more revisionist theory will be deleted.

Cheers

FB

Sorry FB - We weren't really discussing Alonso/Crashgate just Nico - just think we got sidetracked with the whole thing.

Anyways in conclusion if Nico pulls off a win then Cook is off for a beer and burger down Weatherspoons with 3 mates of his choice and will still have change from the £20 quid. Ray on the other hand will have the money converted and with current value of the Canadian doller will probably be able to buy a heard of mooses.

Me on the other hand I'm gonna have to wait until Nico retires before I claim my money by which time £40 will possible get me a half an Abbot Ale at my local.

No Nico would have won it under a cloud because he was one of the drivers who pitted when not allowed because he was low on fuel . The other was Kubica...the strange thing was Kubica was penalised immediately whereas they took another 15 minutes to tell Nico. The time they dithered meant Rosberg came back out ahead of Hamilton when he should have been behind for the infringement

They were both given the penalty about the same time. The difference was that Nico pitted on the first lap after SC came out, Kubica on the second. At the point when Kubica pitted, there were about half a dozen cars in the queue behind SC, including Kubica who had already lost time to others who were catching SC.

About Singapore 2009 - I don't think he would have had chance to beat Hamilton. He pitted first and in those times (refuelling) it was almost always disadvantage. He would have likely finished on the podium anyway, but then got screwed by the SC in similar style what happened to Alonso in Britain last year.

Back
Top Bottom