Current Nico Hülkenberg

Never have I known so many people rate a test driver as a future world champion so I thought I'd start a thread for people to pass there opinions on young Nico.

Has an incredible record in other Formula's - won A1 Go in 06, won F3 euro masters in 08, won GP2 in 09 and then came into F1. There was a lot of hype around Mr Hulkenberg in arriving in F1 as he was seen as the next 'Lewis Hamilton' but in all honest in the car he was driving he was never going to be able to match what Lewis did as a rookie the question remains though did he do enough? He scored 25 points to his experienced team-mate Rubens Barrichello's 47 which doesn't look good - however is it unfair to judge a rookie against the most experienced F1 driver in history? Especially a driver who was having a resurgent after being a world championship contender the season before.

To be fair to Hulkenberg he got better as the season went on and it was clear he was getting to grips with F1 - the icing on the cake of course was the brilliant pole he scored in the wet in Brazil. Although tactical he was advised as when to go and on what tyres he still had to produce the time and being on pole by over a second is pretty impressive. I think if Williams could have afforded to keep him on they would have done but needs must when the bank manager drives and poor old Nico was shown the door.

Currently testing with Force India and you have to think that right now he's breathing down Sutil's neck for the race seat. I really hope they take a gamble on him earlier than later as want to see how he fares against Di Resta - I actually think that might be the making of both of them. Currently Di Resta is being praised and lined up for the Merc drive at the moment but you have to say if Hulkenberg comes in and beats him surely Merc would take the Nico option?

Is he as good as he's hyped or does having Will Weber as you manager help you become hyped up? Interestingly back in 2009, when he was being considered for replacing Luca Badoer at Ferrari, Weber stated that Hulkenberg would not take the seat now but he would sign for Ferrari in 3 years time - that makes 2012 - next season!

As mentioned on another thread there have been 2 world champions who have had a season of F1 and then dropped out to take a test driver role for another year - Mika Hakkinen and Fernando Alonso - will Nico make it a hattrick?

That doesn't surprise me(I hypothersized earlier) he'd be able to take it on as his team as team leader.

Just mentioned that Enstone have been supposedly talking to JEV which would be an interesting pairing!

Would they drop Grosjean though? There's not been much talk about him being dropped, despite his poor performances, and the fact that he's close to Bouillier.

I would like to see a Hulkenberg/Grosjean line up rather than a Hulkenberg/Vergne.

I think Grosjean would give the Hulk a run for his money if he could sort out his confidence issues but I think that it may be gone for good so would rather see JEV as I think he'd push Hulk to his best.

I would like to know who else is pressing Bouillier to drop Grosjean for Hulkenberg given he is Grosjean's manager as well

Hulkenberg can;t believe his luck he rolled the dice and unfortunately it did not pay off. Having said that his manager is still Willi Weber right so he might get Willi to talk to both Mercedes and Ferrari about drives - Massa binned it under no pressure remember

It would not surprise if Hulkenberg and Massa swap seats.

Otherwise it could be embarrassing for Nico but he could end up with Force India or Williams both running Mercedes' engines unless Button suddenly retires which means its probably him vs Rosberg vs Di Resta for the seat

Who will replace him? Sauber are getting a driver that isn't getting paid but is getting them much needed results, I would let him race the rest of the season even if he had a contract with another team next year.

Also, where's he going? Lotus?

Both parties look set to lose out if this is the case. Hulkenberg would do much better to remain fresh and current by continuing to race and Sauber would benefit from his experience and skill behind the wheel.

That is unless the situation at Sauber is so bad that they have been forced to bring in a rent-a-driver just to keep the doors open.

Surely in any case, there would have to be some sort of pay off to Hulkenberg for breach of contract on Saubers behalf that means they would have to pay out in one way or another.

This could however, be music to Williams ears because if the right guy isn't brought in to replace Hulkenberg (I.E. one who's quick) then Williams could (if they could just score a few points) overtake them and move up a place in the end of season pay out.

This would further dent Saubers funds.

me neither. I'm pretty sure Hulkenberg would drive for free just to be on the market and also pretty sure the new Russian sponsor has the money to she out and would do to keep their name on the car at the front.

Unless Hulk has an offer elsewhere but can't see him doing that either.

RasputinLives
Jos the Boss
Slyboogy

I hate to smug but it appears Hulkenberg is going to leave Sauber before the end of the season as I suggested a few weeks back :chuffed:

I can understand Nico's frustration but surely he would only walk if he has secured a drive for 2014 definitely elsewhere

What is the chance he might end up at Williams or Force India

If Nico knows he's been taking for a mug driving for free whilst the Russians are stalling their money then you cannot blame him he has not been paid for several months

teabagyokel

It won't be Heidfeld my guess it would be someone like Karun Chandhok or Narain due to Indian owners unless they are going throw that 17 year old due to the Russians insistence

Petrov perhaps ?

Il_leone - I never imagined it would be Heidfeld, I said it reminded me of Heidfeld in 2005.

It's either going to be Petrov, a rushed superlicence for Sirotkin to complete the paydriverest line-up ever or some Mexican chancer.

teabagyokel oh yes conveniently hurt his shoulder and needed to rest and then had to sit out

I can only think of the logic to Hulkenberg it has got to be a better team than Sauber to do it

Now depending what happens with Kimi at Lotus there would be a shuffle between him and Di Resta for the other seats

Before you use the smug icon lets remember it hasn't happened yet and I shall use my smug icon when it doesn't.

oh and can I point out that whilst the head of Sauber has an Indian name does not mean you can assume she has Indian connections. Her family immigrated to Austria when she was a child.

We all know what assume did. Made an ass of you and me.

Maybe it's Robert Frijns who will take the drive? He has got dropped by his GP2 team.

Highly unlikely, but just a suggestion.

This really pisses me off I like the Hulk and he deserves better than to be poached by Sauber and then get screwed over.

Sauber should to be ashamed of themselves, Nico does not deserve this....

Back
Top Bottom