Current Nico Hülkenberg

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by RasputinLives, Jun 21, 2011.

1. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I think the most I.portent thing to take from the last two seasons for Hulkenberg is that he's being beat by Sergio Perez. Now either Perez is as good as we all thought he was way back or Hulkenberg Isn't.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives IMHO A little bit of both

4. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I can't help feeling if they were all using 2008-period Bridgestones that Nico would be a multiple race winner by now. Unfortunately his driving style is one of the most penalised by the current tyre specifications.

Viscount likes this.
  5. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    I find it telling that he did not want to sign for Haas and he was disappointed Bernie changed the calendar so no F1 driver could do Le Mans

It says to me he's not single minded enough to make a big career decision and wants to play it safe.

Perez has taken time to develop but I feel he joined Mclaren at the wrong time and probably it was shoes to big to fill

He is becoming the biggest disappointment in the last decade apart from Kubica who's career ended early in F1

6. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Nico will make a very good, even excellent, endurance driver and should make the move sooner rather than later.

gethinceri likes this.
  7. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    FB I get the feeling he 's already thinking that way as I don't see the big teams wanting him unless Williams do a surprise swoop but why would they when they have Alex Lynn coming through

Renault will probably want young French drivers in Esteban Ocon

Mclaren have Van Doorne for next year probably

Haas - no room unless Grosjean goes but probably have a US driver instead

Manor - a step backwards

Sauber - forget it

Ferrari - a surprise move given there are much better drivers ahead of him

I don't see Hulkenberg being on the grid next season given Force India's money problems as well

8. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    This a good weekend for him to ditch the Martini belt?

RasputinLives likes this.
  9. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    well as silly season kicks off Hulkenberg makes another claim for a top drive BUT he does have a contract with Force India for 2017

10. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

Hulkenberg leaving Force India at the end of the season, probably joining Renault.

Force India confirms Hulkenberg's exit

11. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Great news for Hulkenberg moving to renault had to take the risk instead of stagnating & could end up top of a list "best drivers never to win f1 race" or "greatest unfulfilled talent" as hulkenburg shouldve been in a top team by 2013 or 2014. How guy of his talent never linked with top team baffles me as he was 1 of the greatest drivers in youth categories in recent years

IMG_20161014_102651.jpg

12. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Well with his luck, I'd put an bet on Force India to get a win next year!

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  13. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Sometimes being a great talent is youth categories doesn't guarantee that a driver will succeed in F1. The opposite is also true.

I have a feeling that this move will be great for Nico in more ways that just being able to finally win a race. Renault has just come back to F1 after their hiatus and they can only get better. Last time they did it, they ended up winning back-to-back WCC and their first year back (2001) was very similar to what has happened this year, in one word forgettable. I'm under the impression that Renault is betting on Nico to be "the one" who bring Renault back to the top. Maybe not the one who at the end gets the glory and the championship though.

Incubus likes this.
  14. Road of Bones

Road of Bones MTC Mole Premium Contributor

Good. Let's hope Renault start getting their act together in the next couple of years! The PU is at least starting to look the part...

15. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon... Renault themselves have been saying getting back into anything like full competitiveness will be a multiple-year job. I fear Nico for the foreseeable future is merely trading an above-average midfield car for a poor car...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    rufus_mcdufus likes this.
  16. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Might be a smart move for Hulkenberg but if he has Ocon as a team mate then he might not get it all his own way.

17. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    This was the move he needs after impressing at Sauber then initially at Force India he keeps getting overlooked by the big teams

Force India will not win a race because the closest they got was Fisichella Spa 2009 due to an odd ball season and Brazil 2012 when Hulkenberg crashed into Hamilton when a race victory was on in the wet/ dry race

They can be 4th best team but will be overtaken by Mclaren who are coming back and later on Renault.

Whenever Renault have been in Formula 1 it takes about 3 years to get it right - they did it in the turbo era and should have won in 1983 no doubt. They were on the pace with Williams by 1991 after coming back in 1989.

When they came back in 2001 they were woeful not similar to now with their radical 111 degree engine and then they started in 2003 they had a race winning car but by 2005-06 they were the leading team.

They've gotten rid of World Series in order to devote their resources to F1 and they aint just going to enter to be at the back especially as they feel the engine deserves more credit than it should have in delivering success for Red Bull

I think Sergio Perez will regret turning them down

18. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Last chance saloon for Hulkenberg and a bumper pay .. really an offer he could not turn down

- there has been a few negative comments about Renault's choice that he does not deserve the Renault seat

Frederic Vasseur who manages the Renault team know him well enough from GP2 days and his abilities

If Renault can sort out the car they could be a real surprise next season

19. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I know I shouldn't be surprised but Hulkenberg has been very impressive in the opening races of his time at Renault.

20. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    All he needs is podium I think once he starts getting those he may well really excel

I am impressed that he has come in and asserted himself as the No 1 at Renault and really thrashed Palmer. I just hope he aint a Trulli where he is fast for one lap but does not seem able to sustain it for race pace. I hope this is down to the Renault not being good on it tyres and will find a way to this

Yes he may have less points than both Force India drivers - the team he left but he is showing his class when you consider Magnussen did not want to stay and Perez did not want to join both citing leadership issues . He has taken this opportunity to show himself

The only question remains what if Alonso is his teammate next season seems to be the paddock rumours?

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  21. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

That is unlikely to happen this year and even next year is stretching things; he isn't getting any younger.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice