Things ... Musical chairs (2017-2018 Silly Season)

The off-season is a third of a year - what other sport leaves fans hanging for that long??
What other sports? Well most other sports.

NFL - 6 month off-season
NBA - 4 month off-season
Premier league - 3 month off-season
Cycling - 3 month off-season
Major league baseball - 5 month off-season.

What other sports? Well most other sports.

NFL - 6 month off-season
NBA - 4 month off-season
Premier league - 3 month off-season
Cycling - 3 month off-season
Major league baseball - 5 month off-season.

NFL, NBA and baseball - ok I don't watch American sports so didn't know that. But 4 months is more than 3 months, as far as my maths goes, so that's not most sports. But thanks for the info anyway :)

RasputinLives We are heading to Alonso's worst race of the season apart from Japan where he will be mouthing just how :censored: the Honda engine is

It seems like Palmer could be racing his last race in Canada as rumours now suggesting Sergey Sirotkin (remember him!) might replace him if he does not improve

------------------

Giovinazzi given runs in a Haas interestingly it is Magnussen that will make way more often than Grosjean who was being coveted as a potential Ferrari driver so maybe Ferrari do have a succession plan then to oust Kimi... it just seems like Carlos Sainz is going to be ignored because he just might be too much of a threat to Vettel
-------------------

If Renault do not take on Oliver Rowland.. why can;t he end up at Mclaren (if he wins GP2)? I am just thinking for Mclaren they need world champions in their car but they can't force Button to drive a dump truck even though they can call on his services
How the mighty has fallen:disappointed: To promote Lando Norris unless he has the Force with Him and is brilliant at Pod racing this is a serious gamble for Mclaren and sponsorship might stop them from giving him a go assuming Moet Chandon are worried about their image

Vintly - apart from money reasons for the FIA there is no need to 25 races a year . That is 1 race every 2 weeks. I can't think of any of other sport that involves moving a lot of team personnel and equipment around which costs a lot of freight and transport money and you are asking for engineers to spend a lot of time away from their families which can be stressful. Additionally in between they are expecting to do sponsorship commitments because of its global appeal and business reasons.

Comparing it to other sports

Cricketers find it hard touring because the stress living away from families and friends and in hotels all the time. Golfers to a lesser extent because of different tour cards it is less of an issue. US tour card players just play around the US apart from the majors. European tour players just mostly travel around Europe

Tennis players - it is very physically and mentally demanding on them to playing 11 months of the year - they get 1 month off but the wear and tear on their body is now making them miss tournaments and need longer recuperation time
---------------------------------

The mid season break was put in because the engineers needed to the break to spend time with families . Even when the season ends some teams are already thinking about the next season and starting work then so it can become continuous work.

If 25 races are added alongside testing being reintroduced it is just too much . I don't think people appreciate how stressful doing F1 can be for a driver

NFL, NBA and baseball - ok I don't watch American sports so didn't know that. But 4 months is more than 3 months, as far as my maths goes, so that's not most sports. But thanks for the info anyway :)

I don't want 25 or more races. I have been into this sport since I was 5 and I prefer a maximum of 18 races, as I don't want to invest more time into this sport alone. The sport would also suffer a loss of value and the audience would probably suffer surfeit.
Here in Germany, there is a football match on, on nearly every second day of the week - they don't have anything else really anyway, Champions League, Europa League, Bundesliga, zweite Bundesliga etc.. I'm not into football that much, but even if I were I wouldn't be watching all of these matches.

Last edited:
The last time I remember there was a row about having a break the only team who disagreed vociferiously were Ferrari lead by Jean Todt. One of the reasons for the break was the engineers were pretty much working non stop from one season to the end due to testing that happened in between the two seasons and then you're making them working non stop to make developments to the car.

For Ferrari they would not mind working non stop because they have the money and resources to cope with the additional demands or at least better than say a team like Williams who work on a smaller budget and have less personnel

the constant travelling not only gets to engineers but also drivers as well

25 races is ridiculous and not manageable financially for a lot of smaller teams

He will definitely drive in F1 again, I've always said so, haven't I?
Oh, no I haven't.
Because he won't.
Ever.

If he was capable of competing in Formula 1, then he would have done so in the last five and a half years. There'd be a few teams willing to take a chance on a fit Kubica, absolutely.

And for a brief while a few years ago, it actually looked like Williams were heading back towards the top end of the grid.

Back
Top Bottom