MotoGP MotoGP 2013 Season in One Thread Thread, it's ALL here!

Don't know whether anybody else watching today thought the same thing but watching those hills full of spectators in the area surrounding the track gave me a few ideas for next year... Charlie was assuring viewers you can see the entire track from them hills.

Budget holidays don't come much better value than this... Budget airline to Valencia, take in the Moto GP week-end for free.... like I said it does give me a few ideas for next year's race. :)

Last edited:
Actually I wouldn't mind Lorenzo winning the race. Might seem like a strange thing to say but I still think he is a bit underrated, even now.

Lorenzo Underrated? He joined MotoGp and apart from a few crashes he immediately gave Rossi a run for his money.

Hoping a re-run from 2006. Marquez falling and trying to make it back to fourth.

I was purely referring to his 2013 season Bushi. I know mistakes are mistakes and had he not committed them he would not have got himself injured twice in succession at a critical time in the season, but he still won the most races and I think the Honda overall was maybe a notch better than the Yamaha.
Still, prodigious achievement for Marc, whose potential is indeed frightening.

The Moto3 was terrific. The top three riders, Salom, Vinales and Rins, were so close in points before the race that any one of them who won would take the championship. After the start they were all in the the top four places, by the end of two laps the top three were the top three riders, there were three riders hanging on but they did not interfere with the leaders until after the final corner.

Vinales lead for most laps but there were several changes of the lead, firsltly (and mainly) Rins would get through but it wasn't long before Vinales would recover the lead. Then Salom moved up from third. Once he got past Vinales it looked as though he might pull away but the other two pulled him back again, Vinales taking the lead again. Then with some ten laps to got (out of 30) Salom made an error which resulted in his coming off and rejoining too far down the field to have any hope. Rins and Vinales continued the fight, towards the end Rins was getting past with Vinales coming back very quickly. On the final lap it was nip and tuck, Rins was in the lead going into the final corner but a very brave overtake by Vinales resulted in Rins going wide, losing second place in the final yards by one milli-second.

A very exciting race between three riders who had been battling it out all season in a series where races were always close, tactics very often deciding the winner.

Final race in Valencia was a cracker, love to see a season end in style. Can't deny Marcquez's talent, what an exceptional rider he is. Lorenzo gave it everything he had, you'd have to say that if he hadn't broken his collar bone halfway through the season, he would most likely have been champion

I agree Mephistopheles - the race was heart in the mouth stuff for the first dozen or so laps.
Jorge did pretty much everything he could and he could have done with his team-mate pressuring Marc but for a 20 year old Marquez had a very mature race, I can't think of many 20 year olds who wouldn't get over-adrenalin & make a silly mistake.
Jorge ws gracious in defeat too, it's good to see a close finish to the season.
I missed the moto3 & moto2 (Remembrance Sunday) but will catch them on iplayer.
Roll on 2014....and pray for a stunning Ducati....hah!

Now put Marquez on the Poocati and see how good he is on that :thinking::thinking:

Expect him to do pretty well. He seems in some sort to have the same driving style as Casey did and he did pretty well on a Duc. I just love the way he powerslides through a corner.

Good race for the first 10 laps or so. Just a shame that Rossi and Bautista where to far back pace wise to make things interesting. Hopefully there are more drivers next year to make things difficult for Jorge,Marquez and Pedrosa.

Last edited:
It might have been tighter had Rossi managed to ride properly in Japan. He could have taken points off Marquez. Strangely after falling off he got back on and rode in a manner that you would have expected someone like him to do.:s

If anyone doubts Marquez's ability then I recommend a trip to Specsavers (for those not of these shores and unfamiliar with Specsavers that's a chain of opticians).

Alternatively, one can always watch a host of past senior class motorcycle Grands Prix and the newer MotoGP series. Those with sharp eyes or a decent optical prescription will note that one of Marquez's key talents is to observe, learn and improve on the techniques of great racers of the past and his peers. Commentators often remark on how he reminds them of someone else like Doohan, Spencer or Rossi for example.

The previous youngest (and rookie) bike GP champion "Fast" Freddie Spencer took the "knee on the ground" technique to a new level by sliding further off the side of the bike than those who went before. He was soon copied by his peers. Marquez has done the same with the "elbow and knee on the ground" technique. Lo and behold, already Marquez has influenced those around him. Until he came along no-one sustained the elbow on the ground for more than a metre. Indeed, even in Moto2 Marc's peers had not yet emulated him. But once they saw how quick he was at the start of this season the top half of the grid have been trying it. The results are mixed with a lot of the guys falling off because they had not got the timing right or got enough of their butts over the side of the bike.

Another skill he has is the speed at which he learns a track and the method by which he goes about that learning. That also must apply to how quickly he mastered the Honda. The factory Honda and Yamaha bikes may be the class of the field but they are brutal machines that would dump all but the best of racers on their arses at the first twist of the throttle. The same goes for getting one of those things around a track at any sort of decent lap time. It isn't simply a case of having one of the best two machines on the grid, Marc has had to control a beast that will - and indeed occasionally does - spit him off at a microns worth of miscalculation.

There is an argument that we don't know how good he is because his main competition threw themselves down the road and hurt themselves more than he did. Well, don't forget the adage that to finish first, first you have to finish. Only the one questionable off - i.e. Dani's following the merest touch of a poorly located traction control sensor by Marc's elbow, apparently - was down to anything other than the blokes themselves chucking it down the road. Apart from the iffy sensor location (questionable), none of his direct competitors DNF's can be put down to mechanical failure. So, in my book that one doesn't fly.

So, as to the question regarding how good he is I would ask "How good is this kid going to get?"

Last edited:
I suspect that he might fall off from time to time. Mind you, the Honda isn't all that stable in the braking area.

-------------------------------------------------

I suspect Marquex makes it look that way because he has such an ability to brake late onto the turn, right up onto a corner's apex. And it might look unstable under Pedrosa too because he is such a fly-weight he finds it more difficult to get it stopped.

It might have been tighter had Rossi managed to ride properly in Japan. He could have taken points off Marquez. Strangely after falling off he got back on and rode in a manner that you would have expected someone like him to do.:s

-------------------------------------------------

Well, he and Marquez are good mates.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom