Michael Schumacher

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Tacitus, Jun 18, 2011.

1. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I know why Perez is in his 8th season in F1. Carlos Slim.

I do watch F3 and Schumacher is doing well against a field as inexperienced as he is. Thats not his fault really but the fault of the view that if you have more than 2 years in a catogry then your not good enough so it's now full of teenagers. Staying in a catogry and developing into a good driver is not allowed anymore. Also winning a catogry means nothing anymore either. You have to be exciting and popular.

As for race craft. There are dozens of drivers who showed great race craft and won things but never got anywhere near F1. Wickens, Bird, Rowland, Rosenqvist. Ask yourself why Schumacher is being talked about for a drive and they aren't.

Charles Leclerc by the way has won nearly every catogry he has been in against more experienced competitiors.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Clay

Clay Test Driver

Bird was considered to be too old. Rosenqvist and Rowland lack the funding and connections to get into F1 and are now 26, so same as with Bird, considered too old.
    For some reason drivers have to have their foot in the door by the age of 15- 18 nowdays or else they're not going to make it. In the case of all the above that didn't happen.

4. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Unless they have a great PR team behind them. Then it doesn't matter what their age, results or funding is.

5. Clay

Clay Test Driver

Don't you need money for a great PR team? :D

6. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Depends. If your name is Schumacher you have the money but you don't need to give it to anyone as teams know running that name means the sponsors bring money anyway. Plus you know the right people in the industry to talk too. Guess I'm kind of suggesting that if his name was Mick Smith we wouldn't be talking about him being in F1 just yet.

Same with Verstappen really. His talent probably would have got him into F1 on its own (I say probably because talent is no longer a guarantee) but there is no question that the instant leap was down to name and connections.

7. Clay

Clay Test Driver

He's second in the championship standings and is still within a shot of winning it. Since when have people not spoken about drivers in a similar situation. George Russell and Maximillian Gunther were both regarded as potential F1 drivers in 2016 yet neither of them had won the F3 championship. The same applies to previous runner-ups, journalists and fans have always linked them to F1.

8. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    They really weren't ya know.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice