Mercedes and Ferrari in 'secret' Pirelli tyre tests

Red Bull are fully entitled to add their names to Pirelli's list of candidates for their next tyre test and I doubt Pirelli would refuse. With regards to what car they provide that is now up to Pirelli and the FIA. Red Bull requested a clarification and now everyone has had one from the IT and know where they stand.

What amazes me is how long it has taken the whole blooming lot of them to stop talking about safety under their breathes and say it out loud and clear that there actually are implications for the safety of competitors.

Fenderman's note: I don't even know why I bothered to write this post. Suffice it to say that I have now dispatched my scratched record. Anyone who wants further replay can read my previous posts on this subject. Oh, and I sincerely apologise for posting this one but needs must...:givemestrength::bored::sleeping:

I think it is incredibly naive to think and suggest Merc has gained nothing from the tyre test, and also that today is not a clear indicator that they didn't. If they were the only one having these tyre problems then I'd agree with you, Fenderman, but considering the fact that there were four exploding tyres today and multiple drivers who had problems with their tyres I don't think that's a very sound argument.
I doubt the test is the only factor in them (apparently) being better on the tyres, I think that they were very close to understanding their problems beforehand (I'd hope so after 3 years, if they didn't they may have to take a look at themselves), but I think the test helped them get that last bit of data they needed.

I would hope that anyone reading any of my posts will take them in context with my previous posts and will note a) that I have never claimed they learned nothing and b) that I haven't been taking a simplistic view during this whole affair. My post above was intended to infer that there was nothing indicative of a profound improvement that can be put down to the tyre test. I apologise for not writing half a page to make that clear.

Further, it pains me to have to reiterate it but the test was Pirelli's tyre test. Everyone and his/her mother knows this. The signicifant learning Mercedes would have wanted above all else would have been with regard to the tyres.

It seems to me that neither Pirelli nor Mercedes learnt enough from the tyre test with regard to this years' tyres. Had they done so maybe Pirelli would not have guaranteed the safety of their tyres and might have fought somewhat harder to bring about the changes in construction they feel they need to make.

Fenderman's note: If anyone is offended by anything I have just said then sorry but I was tagged and I feel it only polite to respond. I'll stop now, honest.:)

Maybe, if the 'illegal' test had been held at Silverstone on a relatively hot and sultry day, with a few duff kerbs in place, and running at race pace, we would have a better idea.

If neither learnt anything then it proved to be a completely futile bloody exercise which has only added to the conspiracy that is F1 and the ineptitude that is the FIA.

To be honest, I don't give a damn any more who learnt what or how many tenths they might have gained. For what it's worth, I still believe Ross Brawn was genuinely trying to help Pirelli out where others had seen fit not to. If Mercedes in the process also gained some knowledge of their own from the test, so what? Anyone else could have availed themselves of the same opportunity.

The only thing I care about right now is that the sport I have loved for forty five years or more is looking ridiculous, its tyre suppliers are looking criminally incompetent and someone soon is going to get killed or seriously injured. It could so easily have been Kimi Raikkonen or Fernando Alonso today, thank god it wasn't. But something has to be done. Let them all bloody test for all I care.

Red Bull already have asked the FIA to be next in line to be a Pirelli test subject. Every WDC and WCC point Mercedes scores from Monaco on is tainted unless and until every other team on the grid have been afforded the same opportunity.

Ross Brawn's claim he learnt NOTHING from the tests strike me about as transparent as Capt. Renault's reaction to "discovering" that gambling was going on at Rick's.

Unaccustomed as i a, to gloating I feel the need to do something to cheer myself up. As many "Clippers" probably never visit Rootersport I hereby do gloat with a posted poster ( http://cliptheapex.com/threads/rootersport.3653/page-3#post-198049 ) i made up some time ago:

2013 TMMITTSM's.jpg

... the hotter they get the faster they shred ...

I believe that Merc's turnaround in fortunes since the test absolutely confirms they learnt a great deal from the test and I agree with Blog Zbod this years championship is tainted no matter what the outcome....

If Merc wins either championship this year it will be a travesty of justice.....

What with all the crap that has gone on this year it will be all the better for being over and best forgotten...

I'm guessing that the YTD will be re-arranged for later in the year and at that time Merc will be allowed to re-join.

So, hopefully Christian Horner will shut the **** up and it's honors even and carry on chaps.

Back
Top Bottom