Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!

I'm a only 4th because of crocked cider and his crones fixing the like posts but it won't fool the people. The people love Rasputin. It's going to be so great.

One more added to help you on your way. I may be new here, but I like your posts a lot.

I didn't know there was a likes list, *goes off in search of said list*

Mclaren are desperate because they pride themselves as a world class team who hire the world best drivers only usually world champions .. you have go back to 2006 the last time they did not have a world champion driver

It smacks desperation to get Kimi in the hope it may attract sponsors to the team when Kimi is not the most sponsor committed driver around either
:rolleyes::facepalm:
I would want Kubica in the other car because simply here is a man who would cost less money and has a point to prove. Its better than shelling out $20m or so for Kimi who does not seem to get faster . Its the perfect excuse if Kubica does not work out .. the time away has meant he has lost some of his raw speed and if he succeeded against Norris then we would say Lando needs experience

Vandoorne is the only one who could lose out getting beat by Kubica

Off topic but I'm with RasputinLives - Raikkonen has always been on overrated waste of a seat.

I’m not sure that that has always been true... in 2003, for instance, he was clearly deserving of the McLaren seat (and showed up David Coulthard).

That being said, I always thought Coulthard was given something of a free pass by McLaren, and a more focussed team would have dropped him in about 2000...

Another day, more bad news for McLaren - BREAKING: McLaren Under Investigation By the UK Government Authorities

Just a thought, these investigations started about a year ago. Wasn't that about the time Ron Dennis went on gardening leave?

It must be bad if they think it's going to do more damage to their reputation than their current F1 performance.

All jokes aside I think Mclaren, like Williams, need to cut their losses. F1 is trading off their historic name whilst having rules that mean it's impossible for them as a none manufacturers team to win. Stuff that. Give em the V sign and enter a Formula E team. Wait for the sport to fix itself and come begging.

big news is it a shock to be no, because i could see eric boullier news coming, i said back in march that mclaren take a big risk as leave Honda & their is now no scapegoat left to blame, someone big could go if its still crap. in recent weeks ive been changing my mind thought bouillier would keep his job & instead was expecting highly touted designer prodrodmou who hasn't delivered & as it turns out the low top speed was down to the most ineffiencent/drag chassis on the grid. to be fired

www.skysports.com/f1/news/12522/11424988/eric-boullier-quits-mclaren-gil-de-ferran-appointed-sporting-director

I can't but help thinking of the phrase "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic"

In fact, here's a lovely little tune:

Ahh BAR, the team who had the best ever two sponsors livery on their cars back in 1998. It might have been ugly, but it's one you never forget.

Let's face it, McLaren needed to do something, I'm not sure what, but this doesn't feel like enough to me either.

Back
Top Bottom