Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

They had one of them, Ron Dennis, put he went sour so they have put a fat American in his place who wants to "extend the brand". I shall enjoy watching the whole thing go tits up and them being bought by a Chinese consortium in 2021, including their road car business. Ho Pin Tung is sitting, waiting, patiently.

Since Honda left we've not had as many Alonso comedy hour the car is crap radio messages. Today though we got a glorious 'everything is pants shall we just go down the pub' message.

I think Fernando will walk before the end of the season of I'm honest. McLaren will put a spin on it that he's been rotated in order to concentrate on McLaren Indy Car interests but he'll walk.

Which means we'll get Lando Norris in the McLaren. This is a real shame. Not because I don't want to see Norris but because I don't want him tangled up with this McLaren mess. Hope he jumps ship to Toro Rosso.

This is unthinkable what is happening at Mclaren how a team priding in excellence and perfection has got itself in this position going from one crisis to another

You would have thought this is Ferrari

Eric Bouillier won't resign but his position will be untenable considering what he said in Montreal. Zak Brown will get a longer stay of execution because he has been there less time.

---------------------------

At one point Mclaren was a good name to have on your CV to join and drive for but they have zoomed towards the wrong end of the pitlane and I think you will find every other team bar Williams have moved forward

-------------

Alonso is putting on a brave face but another horror show like France he is going to walk. You know those messages he said were at Renault's home race so how embarrassing can it get that the man that gave your last driver title now says "Your engine is :censored:" in front of some very important people of Renault

Alonso could have done a Mansell and drove the car into his box and just give up

Alonso needs McLaren if he hopes to stay in F1, as I don't see any other teams clamoring for his services.

To me, his stint at McLaren has raised serious doubts about his abilities as a development driver, and his constant whining have hardly endeared him to the team. (BTW, how is his constant moaning "Putting on a brave face"?).

Is this all to do with McLaren's 'we must have at least one driver who has won at least one Grand Prix' policy?

They've been pretty consistent with it over the last 30 years. A Norris/Vandorne pairing would break that. I have a feeling it might have happened during the Peugeot period but glossed over it with 'Brundle is a Le Mans winner and a sports car champ' and 'Nigel left us'.

Didn't Mark Blundell replace Chunky in 95?

Brundle and Mika were together at McLaren in 94.

The same premise still stands though regarding Brundle's career to that point.

Yeah they are the only two pairings I can think of with no wins between them at McLaren dating back until at least the begining of the 80s. You could even argue Brundle did win a GP but was DQ'd afterwards. Blundell was never meant to be the lead driver anyway so that was more accident than design.

It was certainly a long standing policy. Whether it still exists I don't know.

it is a strange one, i would assume its a PR & sponsor thing, to have a massive well known driver. i wouldn't because why would raikkonen want to spend a few years in a midfield just retire or go for the le mans in 2020. but 1 thing we can be almost certain is Alonso is leaving because 1 driver for 2019 is just paper talk. but 3 drivers is McLaren actively looking because we have had lando Norris, Daniel Riccardio & now Kimi Raikkonen

If he goes to Mclaren it’ll probably be the best pmace for him and probably the best choice for Mclaren IF they team him with Norris.
Perhaps even in an Uncle Kimi role for Norris and Vandoorne like DC had at Red Bull

Back
Top Bottom