Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

As I was heading into the hospital this lunchtime, I was following a very smart SUV. Imagine my surprise when I was behind it at traffic lights and realised it was a Porsche. I had no idea that they made anything so mundane.

I'll eat my :goodday: if a VAG brand enters F1 now.

And why would they after seeing what has happened to Honda? Why would any engine manufacturer now take the risk to come into F1 and break the Merc / Ferrari monopoly?

It's almost like certain parties have an interest in keeping it that way :thinking:

Porsche's last venture in F1 was a disaster

The other name supposedly banded around is Alfa Romeo which in all fairness could well be a Ferrari engine with a different badge

alonso brilliant again. tonight in a way its a shame the f1 releationship of Alonso & honda is broken up this season. because his quips are getting better. him saying they were so slow down straight going down the straight red bull didnt think he was on a quick lap so overtook on there warm up lap. only to then hold him up at t2

i think Alonso has made his mind up that he is leaving Mclaren despite today's result.

Let's not kid ourselves that this about attrition and not race pace because the Honda engine were the slowest cars down the straight and Alonso managed to beat Honda's partners next year .

So seriously Honda have a lot of work to do given Mclaren will get a better engine

Opinion: Could McLaren join forces with Alfa Romeo?

Could McLaren run a customer Ferrari engine rebadged as an Alfa Romeo? I like some of the reasoning in Cooper's article: the deal would probably be free of charge if Alfa get full marketing punch from it, versus paying top whack for Mercedes; there isn't a clash of road car brands in the same way; Ferrari have been trying to get Alfa into F1 for some time already; and with Dennis and Di Montezemolo out of the picture, perhaps the old bitterness and distrust could be put to one side.

Ferrari could also then rely on McLaren's support when it comes to renegotiating the commercial rights - although you'd suspect they'd both be in favour of keeping some form of heritage payments one way or another.

Still seems a long shot given the history and politics, but one to keep an eye on.

I think the stalling block would be on what happens if Mclaren Alfa Romeo started to beat Ferrari. As much as they want to push the Alfa brand I Don't see Ferrari not putting a clause in somewhere on that front. Historically they have always been reluctant to supply engines. They have Haas now but I bet there is certainly a deal in place there

I don't think Mclaren will go with Alfa unless they can guarantee race wins.. another unknown quantity unless they are really going to be the same spec as Ferrari engines

At least going with Mercedes they know that their benchmark would be against Force India and Williams and in theory they ought to be ahead and just behind Mercs

The other Mercedes powered teams can;t beat the works team because i) they don;t have the money ii) they don't have the bottle to certainly with Williams they could have won a few races if they were more bold

With Mclaren - they can leverage a few things

i) They won races and championships with Mercedes for a start
II) They will have Alonso ( possibly?) you aint gonna tell Alonso he can;t beat Hamilton because Toto Wolff said so

On the basis that it's a short term arrangement to restore credibility, rather than to win championships, and knowing that you won't be allowed to beat your supplier, I rather think Ferrari looks more attractive than Mercedes. If you can set history aside.

I think that Mclaren would be willing to pay more if they will be guaranteed latest spec engines.. they came to similar agreement with Ford back in 1993 when they were originally two specs behind.

Whilst restoring credibility is definitely something for Mclaren to address... they are championship winning team and need to attract sponsors

Alonso will only stay if Mclaren promise him a competitive car next season and can win

Mercedes are bound by the FIA to supply engines to other teams I think if the FIA intervene they can't say no

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about McLaren's ability to pay, rather than their willingness. No sponsors + no results = absence of £££.

Well ditching Alonso is a sure fire way of freeing up some money.

Part of me doesn't want to see Alonso get a good drive next year despite his talent. He has become the Katie Hopkins of F1 and has kept himself in the limelight by saying increasingly more controversial things to get media attention. If it works then every bugger will be at it and I think F1 will become a crapper place.

Unfortunately Alonso is becoming bitter so you can understand his frustrations are boiling given this is Honda who have F1 pedigree and wanted Mclaren to sign a genuine world class driver to show they are committed to being front runners

Honda have not delivered simple fact

It probably goes back to what if Alonso did not burn his bridges in 2007 and just how many more titles would he have won with Mclaren

Galahad The Bahrainians have plenty of money to foot the bill but I agree the current situation is not helping to get the sponsors and attract them to Mclaren

I remember the days when the team and car had sponsors everywhere

Back
Top Bottom