Current Max Verstappen

2015 sees the arrival of the youngest driver ever to sit in an F1 car. Max Verstappen was born on 30th September 1997 and, assuming he makes the grid in Australia, will only be 17 years and 167 days, beating Jaime Alguersuaris' record by 1 year and 323 days (assuming my maths is correct).

How can such a young man be ready for F1? As the son of former F1 driver Jos Verstappen Max started racing karts at 4½ years old. In 2006 he won the Belgian Minimax Championship in the KF5 category and in 2007 he won both the Dutch and Belgian titles as well as the Belgian Cadet Championship.

In 2009 he won the KF5 Flemish Championship and moved up to International Karting. In 2010 Max finished 2nd in the KF3 World Cup, won the Euro Series and the WSK World Series. In 2011 he again won the WSK World Series and moved up the KF2 class winning the WSK Master Series and the South Garda Winter Cup in 2012. In 2013, at 15 years of age, Verstappen won the World KZ Championship, which is highest level of karting.

For 2014 Max moved up to European Formula 3. He finished 3rd in the Championship winning 10 of the 33 races, more than those who finished above him in the title race. Max was recruited into the Red Bull Young Driver Programme in August 2014 and only 6 days later was announced as one of the drivers for Toro Rosso in F1 for 2015. Apparently he was also being courted by Mercedes for their young driver programme so you have to wonder how much the pull of an F1 seat at Toro Rosso drove the decision to go with Red Bull.

Having already taken part in 3 Friday sessions as a test driver Max Verstappen is the youngest person ever to take part in a Grand Prix weekend. If he acquits himself well during 2015 many will say it is an inspired decision. If he turns into a mobile chicane or treats F1 like a destruction derby I'm sure many questions will be asked as to why someone not even old enough to qualify for a driving licence in his home country is allowed to get behind the wheel of a car at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Future Champion? One season (or even one race) wonder? 2015 will be very interesting for Max Verstappen.

Racing incident by today's standards. :D
Alonso pushing Palmer of the road in Spa and Sainz Jr. in Hungary and other similar incident between other drivers. The stewards have become very lenient this season.

I don't think anybody is saying that he did anything wrong in the sense that he broke any rules. It think the discussion is more about the fact that the "racing incident" caused a puncture and ruined his race, and whether it would have been smarter for him to wait a lap until he could make a low risk clean pass.

Verstappen himself has commented in the media, that he was probably a bit too eager and should have waited.

Last edited:
Would it have been guaranteed that a pass at a later stage would have been less of a risk?

It looked like there was enough space for both drivers in turn 1, but that Massa either misjudged his braking point or simply ran Verstappen of the road.

I guess on the next lap he might be able to do a clean pass on the straight and completely clear Massa before turn 1.

This is the cleanest clip of the incident I found. Entering the corner Max was only half a cars length ahead of Massa. On the next lap he might clear Massa and close the door before the corner.

(Again, I am not saying Verstappen was in the wrong here. If anything Massa should have left enough space in the chicane. It is just that on this lap the pass was only marginally on and came with added risk.)

Would it have been guaranteed that a pass at a later stage would have been less of a risk?

It looked like there was enough space for both drivers in turn 1, but that Massa either misjudged his braking point or simply ran Verstappen of the road.

I don't think Massa purposely ran Verstappen off the road, he simply thought Verstappen was going to lift his foot. For Verstappen that is the crux of the matter., it was risky move and Verstappen decided to give it a go anyway ... sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't but if Max wants to advanced his career he's going to want to think long-term to make sure that at least he finishes the races.

I only took into account that he may have done it purposely. Thanks to TR for the video, it looks like Massa misjudged his braking into T1.
It's unfortunate, but not something a driver can take into account when racing, if Massa hadn't missed his braking spot they would've cleanly gone through T1.

He was involved in a crash before Turn 1 last year too.

I bet it's emotionally very draining to be out of most Grands Prix by lap 10, then watching a team-mate practically bluff his way onto the podium from the pits.

Max really needs to remember the old racing adage: Races are never won on the first lap, but they are frequently lost then.

If that is what it takes to survive, yes. I guess you think a banzai move is preferable, even though the chances of pulling it off are very slight while the chances of elimination are relatively great.

Ask the sponsors which they would prefer!

Vettel really needs to remember the old racing adage: Races & championships are never won on the first lap, but they are frequently lost then.

sorted the typo for you ;)

because without being horrible. anyone with eyes watching that Vettel onboard can see whoses at fault he squeezed so much there wasnt room for 1 car nevermind 2 & like Austria. verstappen is blameless

Poor old Jean Alesi....Ermmmm....sorry I mean Max Verstappen. If he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all. It's always him that gets the bad luck and not Berger...Ermmmm...I mean Ricciardo.

siffert_fan The only ‘banzai’ move I saw was from a red car, not a Red Bull. I’m afraid that had Vettel not pulled into Verstappens path, all three of them would have finished.

The fact is, that is a standard Vettel move. If Max thought he would forgo that just because it was HIM trying to pass, it showed a serious lack of judgement.

Back
Top Bottom