Max Chilton

There has been speculation about this guy potentially being on the F1 grid next season as the 2nd Marussia driver so does this guy deserve to be there on merit or is he a pay per driver ?

Brother of Tom who races in touring cars because he is too tall for F1.
His junior record is not impressive as he was only 4th in British F3 2009 won by his teammate Daniel Ricciardo and 4th in Gp2 this season behind Sauber bound Gutierrez, Razia and Valsechi ( neither of the latter two appear have found drives for 2013)

However he has shown capability now and then to race at the front with wins and podiums occasionally

Before the British press starts hyping this guy as a potential world champion. What is his true potential out of curiousity?

No disrespect to Max intended but I think he is as fortunate to have an F1 seat as he is to have a thread on CTA. :ermmm:

Edit in light of canny teabagyokel quip:

"No disrespect to Max intended but I think he is as fortunate to have an F1 seat as he is to have a driver thread on CTA.

Last edited:
Back on topic. hasn't Max said he has enough money a contract for next season? What a waste of an F1 seat.

Nice to see Chilton finish in front of Bianchi. I was amused at the message to Bianchi that he was faster than Chilton when the live timing showed that on the previous lap Chilton was the quicker (or least slower) of the two.

You don't normally get many "sponsor-a-drive" Brit drivers so it was really down to Chilton to prove he was more than just a wad of cash this year. He has so far failed to achieve that and no doubt won't find work anywhere else in F1 after his spell at Marussia. Shame from a British perspective but you pay your money you take your chance.

There are signs that he is improving. Bianchi is quite highly regarded in some quarters but is now being made to work for his money. I don't say that he is in the top eighteen yet but we have seen far worse.

I'm really pleased for Max! I was very excited when I knew he was coming to F1 because I followed his brother Tom in BTCC. Then I felt a bit disappointed, when I found out his dad had really bought him in. But he's plugged away, brought the car home, closed the gap on Bianchi and now he's had a great qualifying. Well done Max!!

Back
Top Bottom