Mark Webber

I'm a little puzzled as to why Webber doesn't have a page in the teams and drivers section, as Webber is a pivotal figure in the story upfront. There are questions that need to be asked. Why can Vettel win, and Webber struggle to get on the podium fighting Ferraris and McLarens? Why is the man that was noted as a good qualifier unable to get near Vettel? Did the leg break in late 2008 do him serious performance damage? and What should Webber do in the near future?

Mark Webber. Over to you...

LOLMW was a solid F1 driver ... he was not the most talented driver... but
Read again ZakspeedYakspeed. I was confirming to FB that Kiwi's are the posh Aussies. Neither of us suggested Aussies are posh. ;)

I fully understand what you said ... and I wont go down that slippery path of comparing Aussies to Kiwi's until we can at least win a test match against the All Blacks ....

Webber? Never really rated him if I was honest, didn''t really impress before he joined Red Bull apart from Monaco 2006.

The comparison with Heidfeld sums it, he's always a true indicator against team-mates, solid driver he was, sadly he was out F1 before Webber when in my opinion, it should have been the other way round.

How long will Webber be a "current" driver? I suppose he isn't a "raisin" driver, as he isn't in F1 any more. He ain't a-raisin', he's a-sinkin'....

But a currant? Seems a bit harsh. Ok, there is a nice sign against his name on CTA, but it's spelt incorrectly.

Mark is an ex-Formula One driver.

It's been nice seeing you race... :wave:

Last edited:
Well, he does have a drive with Porsche next year, so technically he is still "current" - just not in F1 anymore...

I bet he's wistfully regretful that he didn't take the Renault drive in '05 now - the way he & Alonso have raced one another over the years meant we missed out on a cracking inter-team rivalry that Fisi just couldn't give us back then.

...and am I the only one who thinks Ricciardo isn't even going to come close to matching Webber's achievements next year?

Mark Webber - former F1 driver. Somehow I don't think he will be asked back in a couple of years to help build a team.

Webber says Vettel is best placed to capitalise on the 2014 rules changes as the tactical element of racing is one of Vettel's strengths. The other interesting part was that he named Vettel and Alonso as the best drivers he raced against, he gave mention to Hamilton but said the formers were ahead.

Webber: “Lewis [Hamilton of Mercedes] is handy but probably not quite as much of a machine as [Vettel and Alonso] are. They are literally ‘plug them in and off they go’. They are very, very handy.”

I follow him here. Hamilton carries his emotions with him when he's racing whilst Alonso and Vettel are purely driven to win.

Last edited:
Webber was maybe the last driver with a real personality! He always said what he meant and F1 needs so much of these "free" spirits. A great talent! I always admired him since his debut in Stoddart's Minardi. F1 is a poorer place without him!

Webber was maybe the last driver with a real personality! He always said what he meant and F1 needs so much of these "free" spirits. A great talent! I always admired him since his debut in Stoddart's Minardi. F1 is a poorer place without him!

F1 is much poorer without Stoddart, too (or is that whom you were referring to in the first place?)!

So Webber will be on the Beeb this season

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/307259/webber-joins-bbc-formula-1-line-up/

Being as Mark Webber is responsible for the most boring piece of TV footage I have ever seen during an F1 build up (It was a piece on him meeting Shane Warne before an Australian Grand Prix one year and all they said to each other was "yep" "I reckon mate" "Gonna try mate" while they both look awkward) I don't think its going to drag me back from the excellent Sky footage.

Nice try though cobber.

Back
Top Bottom