Formula E London E-Prix Discussion

It just occurrd to me what a vital role the points for fastest lap played in this decider. If Buemi had kept it he'd have been champ! Was it Turvey who got it in the end?

If I had my way RasputinLives there would be tyres made for F1 which would last the length of the race. But there is an advantage of a well trained team to save/gain a small amount of time through a well managed tyre change. The idea in Formula E is to make it so that all drivers should finish up stopping for the same time. Now of there were a sensor which disabled a car whilst its seatbelt was unfastened and the time limit removed then there could be some interesting moves.

Well thats a good idea regarding the seat belt sensor and like I said the time thing is annoying.

However just because there is a set time does not mean they all hit it on the nose. In fact I bet you there has been more advantage gained or lost in pit stops in the Formula E recently than the Formula One.

Not to mention in Formula E you a team/driver can gain a small tactical advantage by managing their energy in order to use a car for longer so at the end of the race they have more speed to use. Or vice versa.

To be honest I think its all horses for corses and the car changes are no different to pitstops in any other form of the sport.

So excitement depends upon teams being incompetent. How many teams are there? I can supply principals for them who will make for great racing and they will bring their own zither frames.:)

It is so that when a driver changes cars he will have plenty of time to fasten his seatbelt and carry out any other safety procedures which are necessary Brogan. I can't see any team releasing their drivers before they are safe but the lawmakers of Formula E fear that they might.

If you want to see exciting pit stops watch Moto GP when the riders change bikes due to weather conditions.

I can't see any team releasing their drivers before they are safe but the lawmakers of Formula E fear that they might.
If it's a safety issue then surely F1 should have the same to ensure all four wheels are fitted correctly?
You almost answered Bill Boddy's question, Brogan. If F1 can't even get the wheels on right - how many times has there been an unsafe release in F1 where one of the wheels was improperly secured? - then changing the whole car has the potential to be a lot more dangerous.

Then my point stands.

Either address it in all forms of motorpsort and have a minimum pit time with a team of clipboard wielding H&S executives ticking off a checklist, kicking the tyres, etc.

Or drop it.

So excitement depends upon teams being incompetent.

Like at Monaco and dozens of other F1 GP's then?

The skill is to get the stop time spot on just as the skill on an F1 stop is to get the wheels on right. You make it sound like it is simple. I bet the stats on who got it dead on show not that many.

The tough old birds are very partisan on this new fangled racing aren't they? I'm surprised you've not thrown you clogs in the machinary. ;)

(Please notice the teasing wink).

I ma certainly not against Formula E but I do think that at the moment it is being over-hyped. Amongst the things which I am not very fond of is the way F1 is going into more street circuits so criticising a series with nothing but street circuits is only to be expected. So far after one season of Formula E the series has shown promise but there is a long way to go yet, the big breakthrough will come with the development of more powerful, longer lasting batteries that we are being promised. Until then there will be problems like changing cars.

Yes. I understand that Bill Boddy and I'm just playing devils advocate really. I think we'd all like to see the technology develop but the series had to start somewhere and for the most produced some fun to watch racing this year.

The technology race is now on though with the NEXTV team already taking its own produced powertrain for a spin this week. Lots of links to wireless charging around as well but not sure when that will come in. Trulli reckons he can do it already.

It just didn't do it for me.

I tried;I watched a few races.

The lack of sound coupled with the lack of speed just made it, what's the word?, crap.

I think if you expect Formula E to be the finished product, you're going to be disappointed. It has a raison d'etre and it is pursuing it with focus. More than you can say for just about any other series aside from WEC.

Not all the races were enthralling but there were some good moments. The first Battersea Park race was a little dull but the second one made up for it. I like it as a fairly simple racing series. And it's televised on free-to-air TV for the UK of course so can't really complain.

What I am looking forward to is when someone brings a car along with a motor on each wheel, it would be interesting to see how much this would increase speed, especially round bends.

Formula E's debut season was very interesting. The first few races were very frantic as the drivers and teams sorted out how best to tackle a race. Later in the season a pattern began to emerge and that dampened the racing slightly. I can see why some do not like the racing. The lack of speed is very pronounced and I know a lot out there are big fans of the 'sound' of racing which this series lacks.

I for one am a big fan. We need an alternative to fossil fuels and this series is pursuing an alternative route. However, that's not why I am interested in the series. The possible technological benefits are a bi-product of an interesting racing series. I worry that critics will continue to point to the relative lack of performance and decree the series a failure as a result. Yes, we want the technology to improve and help us all in the future, but what I really want out of a sport is competition. I don't watch football and expect my footwear to be revolutionized on an annual basis.

The series is far from perfect and I hope that the issues improve over time. I'm just glad that the series seems to have a decent following.

Back
Top Bottom