lies, damned lies, and pretty graphs.

I don't see what the big issue is personally, it's tracking position change in the Championship from year to year and how Button has done in comparison to his team-mate in 'X' year

Agreed, and I think another copy should be put back in the Hamilton v Button thread as it made a good point to counter what was being said.

There are two different discussions going on that relate to the same thing. One is that the graph in it's format shows a linear transition which we've already dealt with. The data is fine and the presentation is readable but not correct. In a line graph such as you have drawn you could measure the difference between the two data sets by measuring the area between the two lines to give you a result which would be positive or negative. This would not provide a meaningful result. Therefore a scatter graph or a dual bar graph would be correct and proper in presenting this data analysis. That's not me complaining, moaning, being unappreciative or calling anyone a wally. That is me trying to be helpful and point something out that might help anyone doing such graphical analysis in the future. @tebagyokel. Thanks for doing the graph. It is useful to have that data.

The other is Galahad arguing that if you won the last championship, then you are automatically leading the following championship before it has begun - which is patently wrong. I've given enough reasons for that and I am surprised that it is a point that needs explaining - unlike the graph issue which is a little more complex.

I too think that it is a worthwhile analysis and am thankful for teabagyokel for providing the data. A shame my constructive critisism has been met with such hostility. I was only trying to help.

I just like the graph but I can do a bar chart or a pie chart if you like, or even both....:D

I also know the difference between mean, median, mode and range, for comparing averages if that helps.

My point is most of us do know what we are looking at.....

Don't tell the boss I am skiving off this Monday in Houston.... points per year comparison...

Attachments

• JB vs the others.jpg
    JB vs the others.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom