Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

So what accords for Valencia then, McLaren were quick there to yet in the later part of the race fell of with more tyre degredation than the other teams, and that was EBD specs, Why does a car go from what many on this site termed "the fastest" to a car that in the later part of stints just fell off. I don't think it was so much the car as the fact that Lewis is a driver that pushes a car a lot harder than others. That said Jenson has been regarded as one of the easiest on tyres and he has had rapid tyre degredation problems.

Brogan. Hurry up and get that ignore button live!

I hope the problems Lewis had in FP3 are sorted out for qualifying. He was going off quite a bit which we didn't see that much in Germany last week.

Hamilton's had a great start last weekend from second, yes I know Webber's cars revs lowered at the last second not helping him, but even without that I am sure Hamilton would have led into turn 1.

The run down into turn 1 from the start line is relatively similar to the Nurburgring.

The run down into turn 1 from the start line is relatively similar to the Nurburgring.

Hey Sly, don't know if you saw the BBC commentary but they're saying Lewis' side of the grid (2nd, 4th, 6th, etc) is at a very big disadvantage at this circuit (which doesn't see much action). Massa's actually very worried starting 4th...and Alonso joked that he's better off 5th on the grid than 4th!.

Enjoy the race, old friend! :)

Hm....true, but unlike Monaco there is a bigger run down into turn 1.

Massa is a great starter, every race this season he has had great starts off the line, Hamilton might be at a disadvantage but I doubt it will be much, plus he has a better KERS package than Vettel that might just help as he will have more power.

Will do :)

Hamilton's had a great start last weekend from second, yes I know Webber's cars revs lowered at the last second not helping him, but even without that I am sure Hamilton would have led into turn 1.

I don't actually think Webber's revs dropped for the start of the German Grand Prix, I just think it was the TV director playing with the speeds of the replay. It didn't sound like a natural rev drop, just a general slowing down of the footage.

I don't actually think Webber's revs dropped for the start of the German Grand Prix, I just think it was the TV director playing with the speeds of the replay. It didn't sound like a natural rev drop, just a general slowing down of the footage.

...why would he do that..? Webber simply botched his start and Lewis and the others were better.

Anyway, let's hope Hamilton can make it exciting again this week :)

If Lewis is held up by Jenson, it could be costly.

Not as costly as Button squeezing him into the wall when Lewis inevitably attempts to overtake

Seb could try his old trick of trying to block the driver in number 2 position leaving Button a door to pass,

Pit: 'Jenson, Lewis is faster than you, do you understand?'
Jense: tell me something new mate, and?
Pit: you said last week you were no longer in contention, why hold him up
Jense: I am still in contention to beat my teammate

What percentage of your above is actually a statement and what percentage is a question

I'm sorry, it was a statement - an error in punctuation (jeez)

...and what about the umpteen races where Hamilton's blown away Button and that statement/question? Korea 2010. China 2011. Monaco 2011. Germany 2011.

I'm referring to tyre management, nothing else. I wouldn't claim Button is a faster driver. I'm just not sure which is the better one.

I can go on and on.
No comment.

But Sly and Galahad, my dear fine friends, for every race Button's looked after his tyres better, there's been a race where the opposite is true or that Hamilton's done a better job!

Look at this year: China (Lewis for sure), Monaco (Button lost that race because of weak tyre management. It should have been a McLaren victory), Germany (not even close)...Last year: Korea (Lewis over Jenson quite easily!)

But Sly and Galahad, my dear fine friends, for every race Button's looked after his tyres better, there's been a race where the opposite is true or that Hamilton's done a better job!

Look at this year: China (Lewis for sure), Monaco (Button lost that race because of weak tyre management. It should have been a McLaren victory), Germany (not even close)...Last year: Korea (Lewis over Jenson quite easily!)

You mean Germany where Lewis made three stops and Button was scheduled to make two?

I agree here with both Ray and Galahad

McLaren have previously underestimated Lewis' ability to manage his tyres, they have calle him in when they didnt have to, 2010 has a couple of famous examples(whose fricken idea was this?) Even this year they still cost him points by assuming incorrectly that a flat spotted tyre will kill him and so he needs a set of old and slow tyres. McLaren dont learn or evolve it seems wher is where Ray comes in. My 2 year old daughter could probably tell that Lewis is no worse than Button with tyres, its just that as he drives faster and wins more and scores more points, then his tyre wear is likely to be different to Jensons. McLaren cannot compute this

The bottom line is that McLaren behave like a new team playing by the official F1 manual. Rain expected? check, put inters on, etc etc

Lewis is not really suited to a team like that anymore, he has out grown them and unfortunately seems stuck there

So, if i have this right ray, Jenson lost Monaco due to poor tyre management, and Lewis lost Hungary because of poor strategy.

Is that right?

Could it be as simple as he was unable to make the time needed on button to make the strategy work? Or is it sacrilege to say that here?

On his strategy, without the spin, I believe he could and probably would have beaten vettel, and maybe come back at Jenson, however, this did not happen.

Now peoples perceptions and bias leaps in, and the premise starts something like, "there is no way Jenson could have ever been faster than Lewis, so why did Jenson win the race?"

Surely, however much you dislike Jenson, 4 wins in changeable conditions in the last two seasons cannot be coincidence.

So, if i have this right ray, Jenson lost Monaco due to poor tyre management, and Lewis lost Hungary because of poor strategy.

Jenson, 4 wins in changeable conditions in the last two seasons cannot be coincidence.

Yes Jenson lost the Monaco Grand Prix (and also 2nd place) because he managed the tyres poorly and was forced into 3 stops (Alonso had 2...and Vettel would have had 2 but decided to make it the 1 out of a desire to maintain track position) and lost track position which is absolutely crucial at Monte Carlo. So, yes, Jenson wasted a McLaren win at Monaco.

Lewis' strategy would have cost him track position to Jenson, possibly Vettel. That put him under a stupid amount of pressure which - whether self imposed or imposed by the team - made him over do it...Causing him to spin.

Hamilton won Belgium and Germany in unusual weather conditions...and finished directly behind Jenson in China last year, so it's not as lop-sided as you think. Add in Korea where Jenson was completely useless in the wet - for whatever reasons - and it pretty much evens it self out.

Come the end of this season, Lewis is going to have to reconcile the fact that Sebastian will be the youngest ever double WDC, a record I suspect he thought he would have held by now, to go with his youngest ever/rookie WDC.

He does seem to be handling things very well lately, especially after what should have been an almost guaranteed win on Sunday, and all he had to say were good things.

Deep down though you have to wonder just how frustrated he is at not being able to achieve what he expected to have by now,

Has some one finally sat him down and had a word with him about the "negative waves"? His attitude was starting to have an effect on his racing and lets be honest, his marketability to sponsors. The low was reached at the Monaco GP this season. Since then however, he has started to lighten up and that has reflected itself in his driving.

Back
Top Bottom