Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Can you someone tell me which has been the best car this season - the Ferrari or Mercedes ?
At least Hamilton had to fight his teammate for his championship , Vettel at Red Bull did not have much of a fight for two of his

However when Hamilton made the bold move to leave Mclaren for Mercedes people thought he was daft given then they had tyre chewing issues

He has justified his career move so I think he took the opportunity when he saw the long term potential there

I have never said he lacks talent. His WDCs pre-dating the Mercedes domination proved he has lots. But the fact is, his stats have been so flattered by the total dominance of the Mercs that rendering judgement on his rightful standing is far more difficult than it would first appear. Let him move to RB or Ferrari and win a WDC and it will become easier to quantify.

BTW, I totally disagree that Senna couldn't have won a title with, say Williams instead of McLaren.

The Mercedes has not been the best car this season though
At least Lewis was prepared to race his teammates unlike some 7 time world champion who 's record he is now gunning for

I am sure if Lewis wants one more challenge is to win in a Ferrari he will take it and I have no doubt he will excel on the track

---------

Senna made teams look better than they did so I have doubt he would have won titles with Williams especially when with Adrian Newey designing the car

Last edited:
Re: the "allowed to race his teammates" argument: what is the difference between having an upper-mid-tier teammate who is not allowed to race and having a mid-mid-tier teammate who IS allowed to race? IMO, the net effect is the same.

There are two ways a driver can win an F1 title. He can beat the cars or he can beat the drivers. Rosberg was in the same car as Hamilton and therefore he beat the driver.

Drivers who beat other drivers to WDC's (I.e. where they are either in the same car against a teammate of equal ability, or in an inferior car) are incredibly rare. It's more likely that a driver with talent finds himself in the best car, maximises the package and bingo, world title.

I'd be tempted to say, this season, Hamilton beat the driver more than he beat the car.

Vettel had a car, certainly in the early part of the season, that had the legs to race Merc. The fact it all fell down was as much due to the pressure that Hamilton put on his rival than any progress Merc made with their package over the season.

Of Hamilton's titles to date, I'd be quite tempted to say this was his most impressive.

The Mercedes is underrated. Both cars were evenly matched. When Ferrari won the Mercedes was closer than Ferrari was to the Mercedes when it won. The same applies to qualifying.

Vettel made to many mistakes this year, Ferrari failed to develop the car in the right direction just like 2012, and there’s an ongoing power struggle between Binotto and Arrivabene. Only in last two races with the old package have Ferrari found their feet again. The package at Mercedes is better at the moment, no power struggles, good development and a consistent driver. And a wingman who the team can rely on. Raikkonen hasn’t done nearly as good of job as Bottas in the last two years.

I would say he would be much closer & season would still be alive but this isn't like 2014 or 2016 ferrari were favourites for the title on monza race day. But I think hamilton would win as in middle part of the the season was untouchable look at that pole lap in Singapore 1 of his best

Just have to compare to the teammate. Hamilton is won with 3 to spare. Bottas is 4th only 9pts ahead of verstappen

Maybe Max could win a Championship in a Mercedes, only if Bottas is his teammate though. He still isn’t consistent enough over the coarse of a season to beat Hamilton if the were teammates at Mercedes.

How about Lewis, Seb and Max just doing time trials instead, with no racing? Ok I jest, of course we want a full grid, but it would be interesting to see the best drivers in the same cars.

No, it would be great to have more than one or two brsb cars; and a set of regulations that allowed them to race close together.

F1 isn't a driver series; it's a team series and the teams need to be able to race.

I don't want to see one team winning all the time. That's as dull as seeing the same driver winning all the time.

This years' performance was Hamilton's best yet. No mistakes, no faux pas. Textbook stuff. What a shame he's such a bore out of the car, at least he appears to be.

What about his cutting across the infield in Germany, which should have brought about disqualification? IMO, he was allowed to keep the result only because he was driving for the home team.

Back
Top Bottom