Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

I was bought 'The Mechanic' by Marc 'Elvis' Priestley who worked for McLaren, by my mum and dad for xmas.

I skipped straight to 2007 as it gives an honest account with few punches pulled about what went on inside the team that year.

Neither driver comes out of it well. 'Real' Hamilton fans may want to skip those chapters.

Two very interesting things that immediately came out of it were Alonso handing his mechanics and engineers envelopes stuffed with cash prior to the European GP to help encourage them and to support him. Apparently a senior engineer was appalled by this, told Ron and Ron had the money given back to Fernando who then made a sizeable donation to charity.

Also, as written in the book, to disappoint the conspiracy theorists in the Hamilton fan club. The reason they didn't change Hamilton's inters in China was down to the fact that Hamilton's pit wall and the man himself became obsessed with reducing the gap and therefore any tactical advantage Alonso may have had after he and Kimi had managed to work their way past Hamilton. They kept him out because it wasn't the optimum time to switch to dry tyres. It is believed that Ron may also have got involved as by then he wasn't keen on the idea of Alonso leaving with the number one on his new car. Both Hamilton and the team agreed to that fateful extra lap.

There are more interesting snippets which can be discussed in due course but its well worth a read.

Last edited:
You see when it comes to Lewis I just Don't know whether he is just a bit misguided or talks without thinking. I certainly Don't think there is any malice there though. I just think he's never had to think about things from anyone else's point of view but his own.

On the other hand the comments on that tweet have got me amused. Since 2012 the hardcore Hamilton have gone from "it's so obvious his team are not supporting him because he is different to everyone else and goes his own way...there prob racists too" to 2017 "Don't apologise Lewis you are right boys should not wear dresses and we love you for speaking out and making sure everyone conforms to the right gender role"

F1 fans are obviously ready for a black F1 driver but not a gender fluid one.

I get pissed off that every person must suddenly be politically correct when background/religion/race/age plays a huge role in the speed of personal adaptation.
Gender neutrality is currently the hot topic.
Being in the public eye almost dictates a publicist takes care of everything, just in case you say something a little off.

I get pissed off that every person must suddenly be politically correct when background/religion/race/age plays a huge role in the speed of personal adaptation.
Being in the public eye almost dictates a publicist takes care of everything, just in case you say something a little off.

I’m afraid I disagree with everything that has been said here.

If an individual wants to use social media, they have to accept the impact that might have on others. In this case, this comment may not only be hurtful to his nephew, but also to a wide range of people who may be struggling with their gender identity. You may not feel it’s a big thing, but many will.

Can't disagree with that.

We are in a strange time of rapidly changing attitudes and ways to communicate. It's going to take time to get it right. Decades or even generations maybe.

I think the difference is here is what can be considered the bullying aspect. If someone thinks it's funny or wrong that someone is the way they are then they are entitled to their opinion. Going on social media to vent on it is a different aspect. I Don't think Lewis meant any harm in what he said and actually big on him for thinking about it and realising it was not the right thing for someone with millions of followers to put out there. Let's remember these people are role models as well.

As for the the 'it's PC gone mad' stuff - I think everyone and their dog would have been singing a different tune if he'd said 'girls can't wear trousers'.

I wonder if Lewis Hamilton’s nephews parents got on the phone and slagged him off? I know I would have, and I would have demanded a very public apology.

I think this is the perfect time for some more facts from the book I'm reading. Again, 'real' Hamilton fans may wish to look away.

Apparently, in 07 Hamilton gave several interviews to a British broadcaster that were so bad and likely to upset fans and sponsors that the broadcaster actually contacted McLaren and said 'what would you like us to do with this?'.

The mechanics in the team became increasingly tired of Hamilton putting on a "goody goody" act for the cameras always giving the appearance of there being no problems with his side of the garage (compared to Alonso) when in fact Hamilton had caused a number of issues and was spending more and more time away from the garage and hiding away in a VIP area where no one from the garage was ever invited.

The mechanics were all disappointed that the young, eager kid they knew before the season had changed beyond recognition.

Gives him an excuse then?
I think he probably only deleted his tweet after he was told how objectionable it was, not because he realised after reflecting on his comment.

Back
Top Bottom