Let's not forget Indy

... And the Monster is leading the Championship ... It seems he's finally found his way. And Dixon made my lose 20 bucks ...

And Montoya ran as low as 30th, yet stll won!! Try THAT in a GP!

So far this year, we have been to at least one race in the following series;

F1
V8 Supercars,
Edurance,
Indy cars
WEC
DTM.

Guess which was the dullest.

Did you go siffert_fan?

Anyways that was a hell of a race. Exciting as always, and congrats to Montoya, incredible talent. The moment that sticks out to me from that win isn't him coming back from 30th or anything, but him battling with Will Power and Scott Dixon with ten laps to go. Going through turn two Montoya had a bobble in his car, and at the moment the video boards happened to be showing his onboard. His hands were going all over the place trying to get the car under control, and he managed to do not only that, but he didn't lose any speed and was attempting a pass down the next straight. Unbelievable car control.

On a side note I just finished watching the Awards Banquet on TV and boy these IndyCar drivers are personable, and hilarious too. Incredibly entertaining.

Finally, I've figured out the magic of the Indy 500. No matter what happens, you never know who's going to win this race. Not on lap one, not halfway through, not with five laps to go. Hell, sometimes you don't even know who's going to win as they head down the final straight towards the checkered flag. Not until somebody has taken the checkered flag do you have anything more than a guess at who's going to win this great race. Its very entertaining, with just the perfect amount of overtaking. A pass for the lead, or any other position for that matter, could happen at any time, but it won't. Its never a sure thing. Knowing that the potential for a pass is there every time, but waiting to see it happen or not, is what creates both the entertainment and the suspense of the Indy 500.

soccerman17 .... My man missed out but a hell of a race, as always. Scotty lost front end grip during the last 10 laps unfortunately and couldn't push into the turns, oh well another year next year. Anyway soccerman17, glad you discovered the magic of Indy, the rest of the series is pretty damn good too. :D

Kewee Dixon was fast all day and had his fair share of issues. Lost one of his head pads towards the end and his head was moving all over the cockpit. As you said lost front end grip, but also had to deal with an overheating engine at the very end of the race. Incredible job to finish fourth in my opinion.

But yes, the rest of the series is pretty damn good, looking forward to the rest of the season and hopefully some faster Honda cars next year.

Definitively a hell of a race, at one point Montoya was on the grass but kept the car under control. I'm glad Savedra and the injured mechanics are Ok. It was Ganassi vs Penske as usual, but even so the last 10 laps are what racing is all about. I had to choose between Monaco and Indy and for sure I did the right thing.

I loved the handshake between Pensky and Ganassi (spelling) after the race. Classy move as always from those two strong competitors.

It's interesting listening to the drivers and owners in Indy, they all support the series and make sure it looks good. In F1 there is always something to complain about.

Tony Kanaan was graceful after his crash. He took the blame, apologized to the team and pointed out how his car didn't flip (a little jab at the critics). Good to see.

I really enjoy the Indy races. Some can be a little dull at times but there can also be some good racing.

We hadn't been to a 500 for quite a while, so this year served as a good reminder of how great it is to be amongst such a huge crowd of racing enthusiasts who are really enjoying themselves. It truly is something very special.

Thankfully, Indy racing racing seems largely devoid of the gigantic egos that are so prevalent in F1. Owners, managers and drivers all seem to genuinely like one another, and there is little of the whining, excuse-making and animosity found in other forms of racing.

Every fan of motor racing owes it to themelves to attend the 500 at least once.

Not sure if anybody here got to see the two Detroit races this weekend, but I hear there was some pretty intriguing strategy going on with rain falling and stopping and starting back up again in both races. Wish I had seen it, maybe its online somewhere though.

Spoilers below if you haven't watched it yet.

They were pretty good races. Two very different races even with the similar conditions in both. Race 1 had lots of yellow flags from the beginning and drivers running at the back and midfield were able to roll the dice with daring strategy calls by putting slicks in maybe a few laps too early in some cases. Marco Andretti looked set for a victory, but teammate Munoz had the fuel and track position when the red flag was shown.

Race 2 started out much calmer. Power and Montoya were the class of the field to begin with. The lease exchanged hands twice very early, then Montoya began extending his lead with Power pushing him. Unfortunately Power had electrical problems when moisture got into the steering wheel connections so he had to pit for a change of wheel. As the track finally started to dry chaos ensued. Drivers began crashing and more yellows came out. This threw off the strategy that had been playing out and the race turned into a fuel saving exercise for some and a battle for others. Bourdais had jumped Montoya in the pits and had track position. But as the race neared the end Montoya lost out to Sato and Rahal before Power got loose in turn 1 and took out Castroneves causing a red flag. The race was restarted with about 5 minutes to run. Montoya lost out on the last lap as he was running on fumes to finish 10th from a dominant lead early on. Bourdais held on for the race victory, his first of the season.

Two very good races that I thoroughly enjoyed. Back to an oval next time out when they head to Texas.

The Firestone 600 is live on BT Sport 2 at 1 a.m. if anyone fancies staying up. I will be firing zeds at the ceiling but it is repeated on ESPN at 1 p.m. tomorrow, at the same time as the Blancpain sprint from Zolder.

Dixon all the way by 8 secs over teammate Kanaan. Ganassi really strong this time. I don't really got what Andretti wanted to do but in the end, didn't work.

I couldn't watch, I've been really busy this weekend and haven't been able to watch any motorsport, except for the Isle of Man TT highlights I just caught on TV. But Marco's strategy didn't turn out too badly, he finished fifth didn't he?

A little late (a lot late, actually), but another great race in Toronto last weekend. Some alternate strategies going basically the whole way, and amazing on the track action as well, never a dull moment. Great stuff, amazing product from Indy this year.

I couldn't watch, I've been really busy this weekend and haven't been able to watch any motorsport, except for the Isle of Man TT highlights I just caught on TV. But Marco's strategy didn't turn out too badly, he finished fifth didn't he?

I think the team gambled and it didn't work out in the sense that he could have won and instead was 5th, not too shabby anyway

Back
Top Bottom