Kevin Magnussen

The son of former McLaren Formula One driver Jan Magnussen makes his Formula One debut in the 2014 season. He started his racing career in karting and quickly moved onto more powerful single seaters.
After early success in Danish Formula Ford he was soon competing and winning in Formula Renault 2.0 and Formula 3 before competing in the Formula Renualt 3.5 series and winning the championship in his second year.

As a product of the same driver development program that brought us Lewis Hamilton as well as a strong racing pedigree, Magnussen has become accustomed to winning at all levels of the junior motorsport ranks and will want to continue his success when he makes his debut in March.

He hasn't been put on a pedestal. Nobody has said he is going to be the next WDC. All people have said is he had a bloody good debut. Which he did. If others want to say it's only because of so and so or such and such fine. Do that.

Make a point. If someone responds then reply. If they respond then reply. If they respond it's probably best to agree to disagree, repeating the same things time after time becomes a pointless bore.

Please do not expect me to follow my own advice.:no:

I'm sure he can be Hamberg as can many of the drivers on the grid given the right equipment and the opportunity to do so, certainly Danny Boy showed some good speed in his first outing for RedBull and so I predict that he could be a world champion someday but not at Redbull as long as Seb is driving for them....

Last edited:
Replacing Perez for Magnussen must be the best thing Ronald has done for years (since 2009, when he stepped down as a TP LOL) apart from building up McLaren Automotive.

I'm sure he can be Hamberg as can many of the drivers on the grid given the right equipment and the opportunity to do so, certainly Danny Boy showed some good speed in his first outing for RedBull and so I predict that he could be a world champion someday but not at Redbull as long as Seb is driving for them....

In that case so can I. Just popping off to find me some sponsorship. Being a girl and writing to David Cameron should do the trick.

Apart from the fact it was Martin Whitmarsh decision.
I have liked that post - because I like Martin, think he has been hard done by and believe McLaren would have been in exactly the same position this year without Ron.

However, it would be reassuring to know that it was Martin's decision RasputinLives

Apart from the fact it was Martin Whitmarsh decision.

Was it? Ron has said otherwise (I know I know!)

Dennis, who regained the helm at McLaren earlier this year, admitted he had stepped in to make sure Magnussen was signed in place of Perez, hired by former team principal Martin Whitmarsh for the 2013 season.
"Sometimes only one person can take that decision - in this instance it was me because there were a range of issues," he said.
"There were a few occasions when I stepped in during 2013 and that was one of them."

Well Whitmarsh was responsible for Mclaren's young driver programme and signed Kmag and Vandoorne up to it in the first place so even if Ronald decides to step in and take the credit he can be trumped anyways.

Also if what Ron says is true and he 'stepped in' you have to ask yourself how often he did that and whether Whitmarsh was trying to manage a team that knew any decision he made could be flipped round at any moment. Hardly an environment to work in for success is it. More like being set up to fail so Ron can write his 'how I rode back into Mclaren on my white charger and saved them' chapter of his autobiography.

Last edited:
Well Whitmarsh was responsible for Mclaren's young driver programme and signed Kmag and Vandoorne up to it in the first place so even if Ronald decides to step in and take the credit he can be trumped anyways.
Well if you argue like that it would still be Ronalds action that gave Whitmarsh permission to do so.......you see where you are going with it?
We might as well congratulate Ronalds mother for giving birth to him.
In the end Ronald decided to replace Perez with Magnussen, Whitmarsh would have continued with Perez, and that's the point.

Back
Top Bottom