Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions,

Do you know how Clark, Stewart and Senna were in similar conditions?

Clark and Stewart, especially, drove through some horrendous conditions on extremely long circuits like the old Spa and the Nordschleife...where it could be foggy in one area, raining in another and bright sunshine in yet another.

I don't have a chance to look at the data and race reports but when one makes the above statement, they need to have a good reason for stating so and have to take other drivers in to account when using the words "best ever".

Jenson's also been featureless in those exact kinds of conditions so, to be fair to the other greats that came before him, it can be a double edged sword.

Even Hamilton has had an edge on Button from time to time in similar conditions - Belgium, Korea, Silverstone - so it's not as if it's been all one way at McLaren.

Cheers.

Even Hamilton has had an edge on Button from time to time in similar conditions - Belgium, Korea, Silverstone - so it's not as if it's been all one way at McLaren.

Ray, Korea was in wet conditions, and he struggled. We're referring to the wet/dry crossover point. Button is neither the fastest in the wet, nor in the dry. But perhaps he's the wisest in between.

My feelings on Button are mixed. He's smart and great at taking advantage of situations, but at the same time seems to completely avoid going toe to toe on strategy to beat an opponent. He rarely wins by being the fastest guy out there on equal terms. I think the whole smooth on his tyres thing is a fallousy. Plenty of times he's burned his tyres and Hamilton's carried on for much longer and vice versa.

Do you know how Clark, Stewart and Senna were in similar conditions?

Do you? Hammy could well have read the same books and watched the same documentries as you on Clark and Stewart. You seem to be making a habit of questioning people's F1 knowledge as you decided to on mine yesterday when I said Schumacher was one of the greats. These are people's opinions - just because they don't agree with yours doesn't mean they 'don't know their F1' and it gets peoples backs up when you do.

I don't think Button is the best ever in mixed conditions too but there is no denying he certainly has a skill at taking advantage of them but i'd never question someones 'F1 knowledge' because they claimed that.

We all have different opinions thats what makes the world great and you're opinion is just as valid if you've watched 60 years of F1 or just started watching it last week otherwise this wouldn't be a free to join forum you'd have to prove your F1 credentials before joining and it'd be about 3 people all agreeing with each other.

My feelings on Button are mixed. He's smart and great at taking advantage of situations, but at the same time seems to completely avoid going toe to toe on strategy to beat an opponent. He rarely wins by being the fastest guy out there on equal terms. I think the whole smooth on his tyres thing is a fallousy. Plenty of times he's burned his tyres and Hamilton's carried on for much longer and vice versa.

I agree with you on the not going toe to toe part EW. I think thats mainly because he;s under the belief that if he goes toe to toe with the likes of Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton that he'll lose and feels he has to outsmart them with strategy. Whether this is a lack of confidence or born out of the fact that he used to be constantly told he wasn't as quick as them I don't know. It'll be interesting to see if his confidence grows in this area now he's proven himself to be a worthy rival.

Personally, I believe that Jenson knows that he is not the quickest out there, but he seems mostly to be fairly comfortable with that, hence the alternate strategies, I see this as a strength, rather than a weakness.

He has proven he is able to overtake, and, apart from some dubious decisions early in his career, I do not think his application or dedication can really be questioned at all.

I would not put him as the best driver on the grid, nor would I place him as low as some people seem to want to. He will win some races, he will mostly be there or there abouts on pace, and relatively consistent, and in a team with Hamilton, provides McLaren with as good a bet for the WCC as they have had in a long while, subject to the car being up to the job.

Personally, I put him above Rosberg and Kubica, as he has actually fulfilled at least some of his potential, which I feel others have failed to do, in what may be seen as similar circumstances.

Above all though, despite poeples assertions of whinging, and sneaking, which I do not subscribe to,I find him generally very easy to connect with, for want of a better expression, and I feel like I am racing with him, rather than simply watching him, not sure if that makes sense, but as someone has already said, I see him as a bit of a Tim Henman (in the nicest possible way) on his day, he can be right up there, there are ups and downs, and he will never be the best in the world, however, he will always have a strong following in spite of that.

It could be argued that Clark Senna and Stewart could win in any condition, not just those rare changeable condition ones. So it's Hammi is not comparing Jenson to them.

It's maybe more accurate to day that of the drivers who only win in those conditions Jenson is one of the greatest

That is a bit of a silly statement

He has won 11 races, 5 of which were in changeable conditions, and 1 was wet. There other 5 were dry. I am sure you will come up with some retort about the Brawn/advantages etc, however, it does not change the facts.

That he has not won a race in the dry for McLaren is as much to do with Lewis being that bit quicker, a point which you are very aware of, and there have been some 1-2's (Canada and Turkey last year) where if Jenson was driving with, for example Heikki, he would have won in the dry.

So I can only conclude that your only issue with Jenson is that he is not as good as Lewis, which seems a little daft to me. Each to their own I suppose.

Jenson has the ability to drive as fast as others in the same car, he is just too laid-back and can be slightly lazy at times. Both on track and in career planning. He seems to like the easier safer options

It can be frustrating for his fans especially at the start when he could have challenged MS and seen off Alonso, but instead chose the fat contract

Sorry, I did not realise that you worked for McLaren/Brawn/Honda/BAR/Williams. How else would you be able to pass your own opinion (which you are entitled to) off as fact.

I have seen evidence of poor decisions, and possibly greed/chasing a paycheck, I emphasise possible, as it could also be poor advice from his then manager, who he parted company with and stayed with Honda.

I have not, however, seen any evidence of laziness or application, nor do I feel or see any evidence that he does not try hard enough.

I have not, however, seen any evidence of laziness or application, nor do I feel or see any evidence that he does not try hard enough.

How many off days do Seb and Lewis have, where they go missing in a race even though they have a capable car?

Why does Button do brilliantly once in a while, like Monaco? It would be worse if he just wasn't good enough, but he is

He has out driven Alonso and Seb, why does he not turn it on more often?

We're referring to the wet/dry crossover point...perhaps he's the wisest in between.

Perhaps. Perhaps he's also lucky in them to. There's always an element of luck, not just wisdom. Look at Canada. Bailed out time and again by umpteen Safety Cars inspite of unwise (or unlucky / it cuts both ways) tyre pitstops, tangles (w Alonso) and a penalty.

There was an element of it in Hungary too...at the point where Hamilton had just retaken him and, thus, lucked out into not needing to stop.

Fine. He's a very good driver. No one's doubting it...But to say it's all wisdom is unwise, frankly. ;)

Cookin, to be fair, every Driver has off days, and many have flashes above their normal level, some have more than others, this is what separates the great and good.

Jenson has had some great drives, and some not so great drives. As has Lewis, as has Seb, as has nando, etc etc.

The only race i can recall being really disappointed with was Hungary last year. I was not so concerned about korea, for other reasons, but generally speaking every driver has their level, and some are higher than others.

To state that the only reason one driver does not do as well as another is because they are not trying hard enough is a bit disrespectful to both.

If you want to one pinpoint Jenson's weakness is his ability behind the wheel is affected more by the level of confidence he has in his car due to his driving style much like Hill in his latter years....
It is generally true that drivers who prefer understeer have less margin for error like Hill, Prost and Button than drivers who prefer oversteer in their car like Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton.

The problem seems to be magnified ten fold with Jenson. When he has full confidence in his car he can as fast even faster than the front men like he showed in Monza and Abu Dhabi last season. If he has a slight concern about the car his performance tends to be more worse than other drivers like Hungary last year

I think someone here hit the nail on the head he has too many "off days", and his wins in the "changeable" conditions due involve a lot of luck.

Yes every driver has their off days, but Button seems to have them more than others..

However, this year he hasn't been bad in that aspect...

Yes every driver has their off days, but Button seems to have them more than others..

However, this year he hasn't been bad in that aspect...

Think you should look at last season again Sly - Button kept in the championship until second to last race by being consistent. Yes when he had his off days they were bad off days (Hungary, Korea) but he made less mistakes than the other challenges which is why he hung in there despite having less wins than most

If McLaren could marry Jenson's abiltiy to bring the car home with Hamilton's prodigous speed, they'd have won the 2010 WDC and would now be in the process of hunting down Vettel this year. I mean seriously hunting down Vettel.

Back
Top Bottom