Jérôme d'Ambrosio

I thought I'd give poor old Jerome his own thread to sit in the current drivers section for a little bit as I think, unfourtunatly, he'll be moved to the past drivers section very soon.

Got to feel a bit sorry for this nice Belgium bloke as you can't really credit him with having done much wrong on his debut F1 season but as the Virgin car was designed on a ZX Spectrum 48k its proven once again to be permantly glued to the back of the grid. He's not done too badly compared to his more illustrious team-mate. Out of the 8 times they've both finished the GP who's finished in front of him 3 times and sits in front of him in the championship due to having 2 14th place finishes - one on his debut in Australia and one in Canada. Glocks highest finish was 15th in Canada and Italy.

You'd have thought Glock should really be putting his rookie team-mate to the sword especially as they've resigned him again but Jerome is holding his own but unfourtunatly the only bragging right the man nicknamed 'custard' has gained is the right to shout "in your face Di Grassi!" as lets face it he's put him to shame.

Virgin will probably rotate in someone else next season and poor old Jerome will probably be scrabbling around unsucessfuly for a drive next year bless him. He is an Eric Boullier driver so there is some hope but Eric has a lot of drivers and I don't think Jerome is his priority.

What do we think guys? Has he done a good job or not? how do you think he'd fair in a more competitive car?

He hasn't done too bad, I doubt he is ever going to be a championship contender but I think a midfield team may certainly be an option... If he stays in F1, which I doubt.

All the rookies suffer from the same thing though: there are barely any seats, their only option is to pay... And when their sponsors no longer want to pay, it's bye bye. Kind of a shame, really...

I liked di grassi, and i like d'ambrosio but its a shame they both had to go/will go but to be fair di grassi left it in the wall on the parade lap at suzuka hopefully ambrosia won't do that!

I get the feeling JdA could well stay with Virgin. Unless they need the money so desparately they're going to put Yamamoto back in the team...

I think Virgin have Robert Wickens lined up and also Van Der Garde has been touted due to his Mclaren links.

I hope they do stay with Jerome as I don't think it'll do Wickens career any favours and Van Der Garde is a journeymen at best.

Give him another year and lets see what he can do in a car tested in a wind tunnel!

I would like to see the comparison with Glock to di Grassi, and Glock to d'Ambrosio, that's the only way I can judge the fella

I get the feeling JdA could well stay with Virgin. Unless they need the money so desparately they're going to put Yamamoto back in the team...

I thought d'Ambrosio brought money too?

Hey JdA got some TV time today! and he nailed his team-mate whilst doing it!

take a bow Mr Custard - hope you set the video so you can show the grankids you were in F1 in your day

its suggested here

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/11/14/pic-signs-for-marussia-and-others-stories/

by Joe Saward (who is usually reliable) that our friend Custard could stay at Marussia if Renault decide in the wake of the no return for Kubica to offer Timo Glock a drive (theres a clause in Glock's contract that says he could go) however its looking increasingly more unlikely and poor old Jerome could find himself in the F1 drivers workhouse - which personally I think is a big shame as I don't think he deserves it.

Joe Saward is quite complimentry about him too and describes him as one of the quiet revalations of the season. Apparently his team don't want to see him go either as they all love working with him! Just shows nice guys finish last huh?

Poor old Pudding. Can't say he did much wrong but I guess thats F1. Really nice bloke so lets hope he lands a good test role or a good seat in another series.

Take a bow Jermone.

.......and continuing the Jerome story

http://en.espnf1.com/virgin/motorsport/story/65689.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

seems quite confident we haven't seen the last of him and being in the Eric Boullier stable I wouldn't be suprised if he reappears. Logic to me says he might end up as Lotus Renault test driver which could mean he'd be in prime spot to gain if the Kimi Lotus combination goes the way of Mansell Mclaren

I'm starting to see a common theme with Virgin. Their second driver won't do to badly, yet will get replaced at the end of the season by another young chap.

Don't know much about Charles Pic except that he finished 4th in the GP2 standings, not sure it's a good career move.

We'll see.

interesting interview http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/272791/d-ambrosio-my-situation-is-better-than-last-year/

Firstly once again he comes across as a nice bloke and secondly its nice to see a guy being positive.

Interesting bit at the end where he still says he's up for a race seat and reserve is only the second option. I thought with the Toro Rosso twins being on the market now Jerome would def be focusing on the third driver role. Maybe he knows something we don't.

Jerome secured Lotus 3rd driver spot

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97160

Not too surprised as he's from Eric Boullier's stable of drivers but please fro Jerome as think he's a got a bit of talent and is a nice bloke. Whether he'll get a chance in some Friday sessions or not I don't know - I'm guessing Kimi and Grosjean need the test time at the moment but he seems to be rated as a tester by the team so maybe he can impress enough to get another shot somewhere down the grid.

Well you can tell from this thread that I'm a Jerome fan. Actually you can see from this thread I'm the only Jerome fan!

Anyways Mr D'ambrosio gets back in an F1 car at the Muggello test and hell its one that isn't made of recycled tin cans for once as he gets a full day of testing in the Lotus.

Eric Boullier says:

"Jérôme has been very patiently attending all the races and has been a conscientious and regular visitor to Enstone since he was announced as our third driver. It's clear he has been very eager to get behind the wheel and it will be invaluable for us as a team that he gets this opportunity. We have given him a full day to get to grips with the E20, and look forward to receiving his feedback from the test."

Jerome himself said:

"It's an amazing opportunity for me, and I'd like to thank Lotus F1 Team for giving me the chance to experience the E20; it's a great car and I can't wait to drive it. I know the team from my rookie day in Abu Dhabi in 2010, and I've felt very comfortable at Enstone this year which I'm sure will be a big help. Kimi and Romain needed time in the car during the winter after two years away, so the fact that this test has been put on the calendar after the first four races of the season gives me an opportunity to drive. It will be very valuable for me to get back into a Formula 1 car after six months, which has felt like quite a while. I've said all along that a third driver position with a top team would be much better for my career this year, and I'm starting to see the benefits of that strategy. I've learnt a lot so far with Lotus F1 Team, and this is just the beginning."

Reports he also added that he'd be giving and extra coat of polish to the Lotus garage floor at the next Grand Prix in hope Kimi or Romain would fall and twist an ankle so he'd get a race seat can not be confirmed.

Looks like he might finally get his chance in a competitive F1 car due to Grosjean's antics, if he can get close to Kimi in Monza he might just be able to get into F1 with another team next year.

Back
Top Bottom