• Allow all names no matter how offensive; e.g. Loony, Shamilton, Banana Face

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is a mountain.

mountain.jpg

This is a molehill.

molehill.jpg

Which is what this thread has become.

In my opinion if it's not directly offensive to the driver concerned, libellous, derogatory or racist then it's fine.

I can't call Alonso - 'El Gonzo' - cheerfully implying I consider him a bit of a muppet.

the-great-gonzo.jpg

Yet we can vote for him for "chump" of the weekend?

Speshal said:
In my opinion if it's not directly offensive to the driver concerned, libellous, derogatory or racist then it's fine.
Define derogatory.

RickD thinks calling Alonso "Nando" is derogatory.

If I defined derogatory it would look like this.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: necked :censored: :censored: :censored: chicken :censored: :censored: innertube :censored: :censored: engineer

But the dictionary defines it as :

Showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.

So by that criteria we are all guilty by voting in the chump of the day.

Talk about pedantic

I'm out of this thread.

It's obvious that no matter what policy the site adopts, someone is going to go out of their way to find fault with it.

Why don't we just allow a free for all as they do on 606 for example and see how long the site lasts then?

Signing off...

Just got in after a pleasant evening out and worked my way through this lot. I think what we are left with is context, for example:

Alonso the loony - insulting & offensive
Alonso was driving like a loony - opinion, not offensive

Schumcher is arrogant - opinion, not offensive
Schumacher is an arrogant git - insulting & offensive

One of Fernando Alonso's most empashioned supporters on 606 (and briefly a member here) had the user name El_Nando - if he doesn't find the name Nando offensive I'm struggling to see why anyone who is not a big Alonso fan would.

This isn't making a mountain out of a mole hill, simply a way of avoiding alienating peolpe who might be offended and, therefore, no longer contribute to the site. How many have posted on here that they are "refugees" from 606 because of all the childish name calling and slanted, derogatory threads posted there? Do we want this site to go the same way? I would hope not.

I suppose all we can ask is that if you are requested not to use a name or phrase for a driver that you respect that decision and refrain from doing it.

This is what I was saying about just letting the mods use their discretion. With that in mind any discussion on what particular phrases are ok and what aren't are redundant, as a mod would use their discretion for the context in which a comment is being made at any given time.

Obviously we are all members because motorsport is something we are all passionate about, and at times passion can sometimes boil over into argument or saying things we aren't aware might be offensive without realising it.

Well, to put it another way, at some point in the future I'm going get my hair off about something and no doubt make a comment I shouldn't have, and rightly i'll get a ticking off. But we are all adult enough to suck it up and move on. I'd love to believe i've never said anything that has ever upset anyone but the reality is everyone has days where they only take their foot out of their mouth to swap feet.

And just to put this discussion into better context, i'm sure no one is claiming their right to a favored pet name is a deal breaker, as the site goes through transitional phases there will always be bumps in the road, but as long as we all work together to smooth them out best we can i'm sure we can all get along without resorting to violence :D

I'm with FB on this one, a large part of it comes down to context and personally, I do trust the moderators on this site to get things correct most of the time. Not all the time, that would be impossible, but they do a good job and I'm sure they will carry on doing so.

From what I've seen, CTA is by and large the most intelligent motorsport forum I know of. I think this is something you should all be proud of. In keeping with the intellect and passion on this forum I also trust the members here not to go around name-calling every 5 minutes. I know there are isolated cases where this happens. It will happen, it's natural. But I think that merely by being a good example we can hope to stifle any silly remarks from getting out of hand.

Someone says something that the moderators consider to be derogatory? It gets edited, and the intelligent discussion can be picked up again.

CTA should aim to bring the level up rather than stoop to suit the needs of haters, trolls, etc. There are other places they can go and have their games.

I initially voted for option 3, but after reading a few posts, notably by FB, brogan and enja, I have chnged it to option 1.

I have sometiomes succumbed, on another forum, to the temptation to refer to Michael Schumacher (whom I do not like) as 'Mikey'. It may be borderline as to whether it's actually offensive, but was nevertheless deliberately used by me, in a less than complimentray way. However, since joining this forum I have been careful not to use disparaging nicknames including that one, in respect for the rules, and I have found that it doesn't matter in the slightest; I can still get my point across when required, without such namecalling.

Therefore I wholeheartedly support the status quo (that's the current CTA rules on nicknames, not Francis 'Shorty' Rossi, Rick 'WOMORR' Parfitt and their band of geriatric rockers).

I did say I was out of this thread but it's important to make this point as obviously there is confusion as to what is and isn't permitted

Under the current rules Chad, Mikey would be fine as far as I can see.
It's just a variation of Michael.

Based on the current comments and poll standings, I think it's fair to say that the majority of people support the current system.
We will however do a slight rewrite of the rules to make them as clear as possible.

I have no problem with Mikey either. He may not like being called it, but it's not offensive (I don't like being called Steve, but I don't get offended by it).

Back
Top Bottom