How do we deal with driver names?

How do we deal with driver names?

• Allow all names no matter how offensive; e.g. Loony, Shamilton, Banana Face

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It seems clear that if certain individuals want to push the boundaries, we adopt the approach of only using the correct drivers name, as listed on the FIA entry forms and nothing else. It seems a shame we can't use the nicknames published in the press (which you can be assured will have been checked for any legal ramifications).

I am, however, more than happy to start handing out warnings to anyone who does not follow the forum rules, followed by bans for the repeat offenders. Most forums do NOT give the same input to the decision making that Brogan does. Nobody else is paying for this forum, nor does any staff member get paid, so no member should feel they have a right to do what they like. I can't speak for anybody else, but I can say that I am personally getting a little tired with the endless debate and people pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable, both with driver names and with attempts to bypass the swear filter. This is a public forum and anything posted here could be read by any individual, whether it be a minor (who should be protected from the use of offensive language) to any member of an F1 team, who may take offence to the name used to describe them on here.

Brogan said:
Below the belt Rick and totally uncalled for.
You have taken my private comments completely out of context.

Still waiting to hear why a title such as "Off the Button" is derogatory if it's in relation to a driver's performance.
You do understand the difference between comment/opinion and insult don't you?

So far you seem to be the only person pushing for being allowed to insult drivers, particularly Alonso which you have done several times.

You know what, I sometimes wonder why I bother
Bro,

You asked me for evidence of why I have formed an opinion of the way you were trying to do things, I did not post your comments, just the gist of what was said in a PM, not your actual comments, so to take offence at that is slightly disingenuous.

I am not trying to upset you Bro, I am trying to find the limits of what you think is acceptable on these forums when it comes to name calling. My stance is still as it started, if you want to have equality across the board, then the only way to do this is to use the drivers names. As I have previously stated, this is not my decision, it is yours, but you asked for input and I have tried to supply it. If things get taken out of context on a discussion about the drivers names and the things we call them, I think that rather proves the point.

Oh, and as an aside, 'Off the Button', when talking about Jenson, is rather derogatory, I do not understand why you can't see it would be used in this fashion, especially as 'On the Button' has been used as a catchphrase/for promotional purposes on Buttons merchandise.

I think there is a major difference between comments such as "off the Button" and nicknames that could quite easily be consider insulting by certain people.

"Off the Button" is a play on words, and it would not be beyond the realms of possibility seeing such a statement as a headline in the press.

I have to say Rick that "Looney" can be construed completely differently really, and although I am sure you do not mean it in any major derogatory fashion, it would and could definitely be taken as such by any number of thorough Alonso fans.

I think the only answer is to mind the feelings of other users, and if it seems to be annoying other people simply move on and don't use it again and we can all remain happy :)

MajorDanby said:
"Off the Button" is a play on words, and it would not be beyond the realms of possibility seeing such a statement as a headline in the press.

I have to say Rick that "Looney" can be construed completely differently really, and although I am sure you do not mean it in any major derogatory fashion, it would and could definitely be taken as such by any number of thorough Alonso fans.

I think the only answer is to mind the feelings of other users, and if it seems to be annoying other people simply move on and don't use it again and we can all remain happy :)

Totally agree, MD. :thumbsup:

Brogan said:
You know what, I sometimes wonder why I bother

Do what the hell you like everyone, I've got more important things to be getting on with.

You bother because there is hope yet. :)

I won't say any more on this topic, I'll cast my vote and I'll go along with whatever the poll result is. I suggest everyone else does the same.

There wouldn't be any Hammy Wammy for fanboys to worship

Taken from the F1 forum just now.

Option 3 would lead to more posts of this type (and worse) and I for one wouldn't want to post on a forum such as that.

Personally speaking I prefer more reasoned, adult debate without the need for silly name calling or childish insults.

It appears I'm jumping into the debate a bit late, but I voted for "Keeping the Current System", as I honestly didn't think there was much of a problem.

This has been the most well-mannered sports forum I have ever visited, and I thought everyone was doing a pretty good job policing themselves.

I guess I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. If somebody is told that a nickname they use is offending someone, they should be alerted to this fact. If they continue to use the term in a derogatory fashion there is only one course of action as far as I'm concerned, suspension or expulsion.

Keke, that is fine, but what if you find something offensive that no one else does? Does this mean that the nickname will not be used again or will the moderators just leave it and let you continue to be offended?

Also, what if someone is simply reporting the use of a nickname out of spite, how would you tell the difference between that and someone being truly offended?

RickD said:
Keke, that is fine, but what if you find something offensive that no one else does? Does this mean that the nickname will not be used again or will the moderators just leave it and let you continue to be offended?

Also, what if someone is simply reporting the use of a nickname out of spite, how would you tell the difference between that and someone being truly offended?

The mods just employ their judgement, nothing more. They can't get every call 100% right, but neither would anyone reasonably expect them to. As with all things you can't please everybody and you can't legislate for people trolling either side of this subject. What you can do though is try and make this place appear as receptive and welcoming to anyone who's interested.

I'm with the majority on this one. We are for the most part adults here and therefore fully aware what sticks and stones are capable of.

But don't get me wrong, I am just as guilty of ranting and raving about the actions of a driver/(FIA member ahem) and whether or not my opinion of them has been devalued in any way. Indeed anyone who joined around the same time as me, for the same reasons as me, will fully understand what I mean when I say that this site was the perfect place to scream at the top of your lungs for a couple of months in order to cleanse oneself of a lot of pent up anger.

The site today is not recognisable to the one originally put together, it has come on leaps and bounds since then and has a life of its own now, but what I am particularly proud of is that the ethos that brought the site about in the first place is still the driving force today.

So my 2c for what its worth is to let the moderators use their discretion, if a comment or word is used which blatantly adds no value to an argument other than a cheap ad hominem then by all means moderate as per the rules, everything else is herding cats.

So essentially it's all about context and implied meaning?

I suppose for me it's more a question of why do those members who want to use insulting terms feel the need to do so?
Why can't they use terms which aren't derogatory to get their point across?

I'll leave this thread and poll running but the overwhelming choice so far seems to be a continuation of the existing procedures.

KekeTheKing said:
It appears I'm jumping into the debate a bit late, but I voted for "Keeping the Current System", as I honestly didn't think there was much of a problem.

This has been the most well-mannered sports forum I have ever visited, and I thought everyone was doing a pretty good job policing themselves.

I guess I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. If somebody is told that a nickname they use is offending someone, they should be alerted to this fact. If they continue to use the term in a derogatory fashion there is only one course of action as far as I'm concerned, suspension or expulsion.

Seconded, thirded etc.

Coupled with the fact that I cannot cope with the concept of a free reign for naming drivers, that's not why we're here, and unless we hold proper lessons on how to spell Algethingy's name I'm completely mullered with the other option...

The fact i lost the will to live after page 2 :sleeping: just about sum's it up.

Basically i agree with Keke and many others that are all saying pretty much the same thing, after all we are all adults here with touch of common sense hopefully to respect the forum rules and each others comments.

Having said that the last few days or so have been shall we say "interesting" to say the least and whilst i know moderation is not not an easy job (been there done that in live chat) judging some of the purple i've seen recently all i'm going to say is don't do your dirty washing in public it incites aggravation and manifests itself. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

slickskid said:
judging some of the purple i've seen recently all i'm going to say is don't do your dirty washing in public it incites aggravation and manifests itself
That proves the point nicely that you can't please everyone all of the time as earlier in the thread someone was saying how moderation which is done "behind closed doors" is not something they like on a forum. They prefer reasons to be made clear in the forum for everyone to see.

It's fairly obvious that whatever system is employed there is going to be a section of the community which isn't happy.
Unfortunately there is very little we can do about that.

slickskid said:
Just advice spoken from experience.
Care to elaborate?

I find it interesting that the colour of the text bothers you.
It's just a colour to make it stand out whereas if a mod posted on a thread in the normal black most people would overlook it completely.

slickskid said:
It has nothing to do with the colour at all (not quite sure where you made that assumption)
So can you elaborate then?

I mentioned the colour as you specifically referred to "the purple".

Are you saying that edits should be made by mods invisibly with no explanation?

Back
Top Bottom