Heikki Kovalainen

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by downforce, May 25, 2011.

1. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    When you've got someone like Flavio Briatore who has a history of bad driver management .. it does not bode well...if anything he's made himself rich taking a slice of every driver from his stable being on an F1 grid BUT not actually helping towards their career development with the exception of Alonso and Webber

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Il_leone - have you ever read The Piranha Club? Flav is probably no better or worse than many of the other managers and team principals in F1 but, unfortunately for him, he has a very high profile. You may argue that he has created this for himself. Many drivers have had their careers curtailed by poor management or the fact that their face doesn't fit.

Heikki got the boot as he wasn't fast enough when he got into a top team, he may blame back luck at McLaren for not getting better results but his team mate wiped the floor with him. I don't think we can blame Flav for the fact that he wasn't fast enough, (unless you have pictures of him shoving potatoes up the exhaust of Heikki's McLaren?). When Jenson joined McLaren everyone thought the same would happen but the situation turned out quite differently.

4. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    FB

I 've not read the book yet. I was referring to Heikki's time specifically at Renault and it is a typical Flav way of managing drivers before he even had time to settle Flavio was already throwing the next driver from his stable in. People were accusing Flav of picking only drivers from his stable to drive for Renault... no one batted an eyelid whilst the drivers were delivering the results which included pocketing a commission from drivers salary paid by Renault and he himself getting paid by Renault. Flav was more interested in lining his own pocket given talented drivers like Trulli and Fisichella never really fulfilled their potential

I agree there have been terrible team principals but the last 20 years Flav is definitely the worst if you consider how many drivers he fell out with or badly treated. Others like Christian Horner/ Helmut Marko and even Ron Dennis are that much better

Heikki has been very honest of himself at Mclaren that he did not make the most of his opportunities but he said Mclaren gave him enough chances to. They were honest with him that Kimi and Jenson were top 2 choices and he took it well. Yes he had bad luck in various races when he could have got better results but races like Monza was his for the taking and he missed an open goal

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice