Heikki Kovalainen

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by downforce, May 25, 2011.

1. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, no flies on Jos the Boss he know where it's at.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Viscount

Viscount Pole Sitter Contributor

Kovalainen might be looking for a new team for 2013, to be honest though unfortunately I don't really think he has that many options further up the field and might stay with Caterham for at least another year. He admits he's a little further down in the pecking order for one of the top teams.

"We haven't looked at it seriously, I think it is a bit too early and there are a few guys ahead of me in the queue, things like what Lewis will do or what Michael will do, will probably have an impact on what everyone is doing."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/17583/7855577/Kovalainen-could-leave-Caterham

4. KekeTheKing

KekeTheKing Banned Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I really like Kovalainen, but he's already had an opportunity that most F1 drivers never get.

I think Italy 2009 pretty much sums up his career. Qualifies on the 2nd row with the best strategy, but loses positions to Barrichello and Button on the first lap and then finishes over a minute behind.

Caterham is a pretty good fit for both driver and team.

5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    If Caterham continue on their upward curve then I think another season for Kovi would be the right thing to do. As he has said, another step forward in the next couple of races and the midfield should start to worry.

If he decides to leave Caterham then I think he'll end up taking the spot in a team like Force India or Sauber if one of their guys moves upwards. Having said that, given the recent improvements at Williams, If I was Sir Frank, I'd be on the phone to Kovi and telling Senna, thanks but no thanks for next season.

6. EvilWhippet

EvilWhippet Podium Finisher

The thing I hate about this post is that there's nothing in it I can disagree with, and I really want to because there are few drivers as likeable as Heikki.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be harsh to bet on him to at least equal what guys like Massa, Hulkenberg, Senna and - for now - Button are doing with their machinery if he had it.

unberable and HamiltonRox! like this.
  7. Jos the Boss

Jos the Boss Champion Elect

Well he did beat Jenson at Monaco, in much worse machinery!

8. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Anyone a little bit worried that if Caterham don't get the 10th place spot the Kovi is going to have to make way for a driver with more miney behind them? Bruno Senna and Van Der Garde are waiting in the wings.

9. jez101

jez101 Bookies drive nice cars because of people like me Contributor

I think he has done all he can at Caterham. Might be a blessing in disguise?

10. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Not if he ends up off the grid. out of sight out of mind.

11. GermanF1

GermanF1 Race Winner Contributor

Well now we know that Charles Pic will be driving for Caterham next season. I wonder if that means curtain for Heikki? Unless Force India or Williams decide that they want him, it seems he has nowhere to go. Would really be sad to see him go out like that.

12. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Unfortunately it's all about the money these days which is why the F1 grid is going to be less and less about the top 24 drivers and more and more about the top 24 richest/sponsored drivers.

13. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    They still might keep him but Van Der Garde seems to have been given a lot of time to not get a race seat.

unberable, HamiltonRox! and GermanF1 like this.
  14. jez101

jez101 Bookies drive nice cars because of people like me Contributor

Heiki to Maroussia? They have improved this year and they have the fom money to pay him? And Pat Symonds?

15. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Heikki should go and do DTM or sports cars where he might win something. He's an able driver but never going to be World Champion so might as well pack it in now. He proved at McLaren he wasn't fast enough so no top team is going to give him a drive.

16. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Not unless they drop Timo as it looks odds on Max Chilton will be in the seat vacated by Pic.

17. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Max Chilton is only about 12 isn't he?

18. Slyboogy

Slyboogy World Champion Contributor

Going to the new teams was a disaster of a move by Kovalainen and Glock.

But it's not as if Kovalainen had much of a choice after his poor performances in 2009 at McLaren, as for Glock I'm sure he had other options.

Too many pay drivers around, but several are decent enough to stay or to be considered for a seat.

With Kobayashi, Heidfeld and Kovalainen getting pushed out of F1 by pay drivers, just shows the position F1 is going into, as all 3 deserve to be in Formula 1. Saying that though (doing an Eddie Jordan here) some of the pay drivers have proved themselves such as Maldonado, Perez, Pic, and Petrov have proved themselves or have done a respectable job against their peers.

19. GermanF1

GermanF1 Race Winner Contributor

Senna should be thrown out of F1, he is the worst of all those pay drivers. If that happens we will have a free seat at Williams, which could be a possibility for proven guys like Kovi or Kobi. Maldonado's money surely is enough for the team, or isn't it?
    But they will probably take Bottas, which would be good as well.

20. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Don't forget they now have to fork out for @ExtremeNinja's salary GermanF1 so probably need every penny they can snaffle ;)

21. Josh

Josh Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I think he made it fairly obvious today on the BBC that he won't be driving for Caterham next year.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice