Formula 2 GP2 2012

Just a word on Max Chilton. In his 2 previous seasons of GP2 he's managed 5 points scoring finishes and a total of 7 points

In the first 5 rounds of GP2 this season he's had 5 points finishes and totals 45 points(point system has changed) - somethings obviously clicked into place for him - he's still only 21 so maybe he's a future F1 driver yet

Don't know if many people caught the race at lunch time on a FRIDAY. I did I'm having a long weekend. I have to say apart from the annoying commentator it was a great race. In particular the driver that is starting to stand out for me this year is not the championship leader but Brazillian Filipe Nasr who today in particular showed some real natural talent, easily my driver of the day, fantastic double over taking the jewel in the crown.

Im sure the 8 spectators ( I actualy counted them) enjoyed every moment.

If you missed it you can see it again tonight (Friday) at 11.10pm or before race 2 at 10.30am tomorrow. Race 2 is 11.55am. ;)

As a secondary point, with so few spectators never mind the politics how can this race possibly happen next year. 8 people. 8.
At silverstone last year 310,000 people watched the GP2. not 8.

Bahrain as a race race venue should be buried after tomorrows race. Bye, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. :wave:

For some reason my series link failed so I just managed to catch one of the re-runs.

A fairly interesting race again but it seems these guys are suffering even more than F1 where tyres are concerned.
Apparently they have to keep some sets for the second race tomorrow so even when their tyres had hit the cliff they just had to keep going.

That's not what sprint racing is about.

Did anyone else see the first race at Catalunya?

I'll say it again, Calado is dangerous and I think his licence should be withdrawn.

New tyre rules introduced for GP2.

The new tyre rules for GP2 are an exciting development that will introduce a bigger element of tyre strategy and management to the race weekend, making the GP2 Series even better preparation for the very pinnacle of racing. With two sets of the softer compound available to them at any point in Monaco, the GP2 drivers will need to think really carefully about when to use them, but they will end up with more experience of running on a faster compound, which needs to be wisely managed.

http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News/2012/05_May/New-tyre-rules-introduced-in-Monaco/

The venezuelans are taking over. First Pastor now Cecotto.
gp2.jpg

I was thinking that was a decent position for Serenelli, but of course the field was split in two because of last year's chaos, so he's back where he belongs!

An absolutely crazy start to the sprint race at Monaco.

Calado ran out of track at the first corner from the start and bounced off the barriers.

A spinner at the top of the hill then caused a chain reaction which resulted in Nasr going over the top of the car in front.

The rest of the field came to a standstill but unbelievably the race wasn't red flagged and once the 4 or 5 stranded cars were removed the race was under way again.

Having not long had Sky, I've not been watching that much GP2 but thoroughly enjoyed today's race.

However, whilst watching it I was wondering why they don't show the "driver's positions ladder" (as I like to call it) on screen, the cars have all got timing transponders on them, the commentators can obviously see a lap chart, just wondered why they didn't broadcast it?

What a race in the spirit race!

With five laps to go it looked impossible for Razia to win. Calado was unlucky today really as he could well have win this race. But he's showing he is the business this season and is possibly a future F1 driver. I really do feel that the Valencia street circuit could be more suited to GP2 racing than F1.

What a bloody waste of time!

Just watched the two races from Valencia and it was safety car after safety car.

Don't think I'll bother wasting any more time on GP2 this year.

The GP2 tyre rules need reviewing.
I watched the first race yesterday and even though the track was bone dry on the racing line, they weren't permitted to change to slicks until the 6th lap, as per the rules.

It was that alone which allowed Cecotto to win.

It was a bold strategy though, very bold I must say, not sure why a few others didn't choose that option.

Valsecchi gets 2 points after Palmer and Caletti get penalties, puts him 10 points behind championship leader Luis Razia.

I kind of lost interest in GP2 after the first few races, just tuned back in, starting to like Valsecchi.

Also I find the commentators very boring, and I found the lead commentators comment on someone spinning out, out of order "he just ran out of talent" - the dude has more talent than you anyway.

The GP2 tyre rules need reviewing.
I watched the first race yesterday and even though the track was bone dry on the racing line, they weren't permitted to change to slicks until the 6th lap, as per the rules.

It was that alone which allowed Cecotto to win.

No rule forbid them changing tyres earlier - however it would have not counted as the mandatory pit stop.

Back
Top Bottom