FIA Formula E

FFS. Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not November? Even on the morning of 1st April that would be a very bad joke.:(

Something tells me that (assuming it's true) the organisers don't have much confidence that there will be any racing. That's not a good signal to send to the public or the entrants before the series has even started.

Oh, am I looking forward to the sound of aero. The loudest sound of aero that I ever heard was a Vulcan taking off whilst I was working on the radar far too close to the runway.

Andretti and Penskie on board. Japanese team, British team, Chinese team.

If its marketed right then his has all the right ingridents to be an interesting and, shall we say, profitable series.

They love their electric cars out in LA

Sounds like a good series doesn't it. Makes sense for manufacturers like Audi to get involved. If they win an electric race car series might just help them shift some elecy cars in the real world.

Combining the following thoughts:
  1. How to improve overtaking/racing spectacle/even out the field a bit (in track motor racing in general)?
  2. Contactless charging built into the road (read about trials in Germany or somewhere like that in some article recently)
Leads me inexorably to this:
  • Put charging points in positions off the racing line to tempt drivers to do something different from the standard line for the reward of extra energy for a handy speed boost or for strategically staying out on track longer. :thankyou:
In what way would that not be stupendously awesome? If they have it in Wipeout 2097, how can it not be good? :yesss:

Nice idea about the charging method but I dearly hope they leave the "spice the race " gimmicks to F1 and the gaming community. Push to pass gimmicks to please the fans will bring the same derision to Formula E as it does to F1.

It's important to build the formula's integrity since the competition ought to be, first and foremost, a technical challenge with the drivers racing to prove and improve the technology. If one aim is to change people's perception of electric propulsion to wean them off of fossil fuels they will need to be convinced that electric vehicles offer freedom as well as performance. I doubt a road going equivalent to Scalextric slot car racing will be very convincing.

Of course having said that I'm an old geezer so what do I know about what younger folk's might want,:D

Edit: Oh and the technology exists to do the under road charging thing but it's the scaling up and logistics that have to be resolved. Since direct contact is out due to the obvious safety problem it relies on charging via creating strong electro-magnetic fields. Notwithstanding potential health risks to humans the interference caused by such fields to communications and electrical devices could also be somewhat problematic.

Last edited:
Induction loop charging in the tracks would be a gimmick I'd be happy to see, how about induction loop/maglev style braking into passing zones as well. Design a car that doesn't lock up/get spat off over the braking zone loops and you slow down massively quickly. Would definitely push the tech side, in a way that's far more visual to the layman than aero, as long as you didn't pop the drivers eyes out of their sockets!

One thing I've noticed in the regs for Formula E is that it states that the drivers will have to change cars twice due to charge time (They use one car for twenty mins, jump into the spare for twenty mins whilst the original is charging up and then change back).

Firstly I hope they allow a system for drivers to eek it out for one change (eg like the difference between a one stop and a two stop) but the main thing is it states this change involves a 100 yard dash for the driver.

Does this mean we may see overtaking in the pit lane in the form of a sprint race? If so this brings a whole new level of fitness to consider for a driver and may mean Usain Bolt is a good driver option.

Another big name joining in:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111323

I have to say I'm quite excited about seeing how this one turns out. For me the "interesting uses of new technology" side of it easily outweighs any "it won't sound right" moans.

Abt sport? Is he the father of Danial Apt the current GP2 driver and former GP3 runner up? If so we may have figured out who one of the drivers might be.

Speaking of which if you were Sergio Perez you'd suddenly announce how you've always loved electric cars right?

I hope this series doesn't end up on BT Sports TV wise as really looking forward to seeing it.

Having secured American, British, Chinese, Japanese and French team entrants to the series Formula E now has an entrant from India in the shape of Mahindra. Mahindra are worth billions of pounds in the motoring industry.

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINDEE9AR09920131128?irpc=932

Looks like Chandhock is hoping to drive for them too.

The field is looking very international compared to F1.

Last edited:
The race calendar has now been confirmed. It will start in Bejing in September and end in London in June averaging about a race a month.

Interstingly they will race at Monaco the week before F1 gets there. Other than that it goes nowhere F1 does.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111732

With races in December, Jan and Feb it'll at least be good for the off season.

I'm quite looking forward to it all.

Back
Top Bottom