First Entered 2008
Races Entered 55
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 1
Fastest Laps 1
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team History

In 1991 Eddie Jordan made the leap from the lower formulae to F1 with the Jordan Grand Prix Team. Jordan Grand Prix raced with varying degrees of success until 2005, taking part in 250 Grand Prix, winning 4.

In 2006 Jordan was sold to Canadian businessman Alex Shnaider and was rebadged as Midland F1 – entered as the first Russian Grand Prix team. Midland had little success and by the end of 2006 the team was sold to Dutch car sports car makers Spyker and the entry changed to Spyker MF1. Spyker were as unsuccessful as Midland and at the end of 2007 the team was sold again, this time to Vijay Mallya, and Force India was born

Force India

For the 2008 season Force India used an updated version of the Spyker car, designated the VJM01, married to Ferrari engines. Adrian Sutil and Ginacarlo Fisichella were the drivers with Vitantonio Luizzi as the tester. The season wasn’t massively successful, Sutil missed out on potentially scoring points at Monaco when Kimi Raikkonen crashed into him, otherwise the highest placing they managed was 10th for Fisichella in Spain.

Mercedes Power

For 2009 Force India moved from Ferrari power to Mercedes engines. With the same drivers as 2008 the early part of the season showed that Force India VJM02 had made steps forward in performance. Sutil ran 6th in China, before aquaplaning off the circuit, and was as high as 2nd in Germany before another coming together with Raikkonen as he exited the pits. The Belgian Grand Prix at Spa proved to be the high point of Force India’s season. Fisichella, to the amazement of many on the grid, put his car on pole and brought the car home 2nd only to leave the team to substitute for Felipe Massa at Ferrari for the remainder of the season. Sutil followed up Fisichella’s points scoring exploits with a 4th in Italy now partnered by test driver Luizzi.

For 2010 Mercedes engines were retained, as was the driver line up the team ended 2009 with. The VJM03 was another step forward for the 2009 model and Force India scored points regularly in the mid-field. Sutil managed the teams highest race finish with a 5th in Malaysia and the team ended the season 7th in the Constructors Championship

Test driver Paul di Resta replaces Luizzi for 2011 in the VJM04 chassis. With continuing support from Mercedes High Performance Engines and McLaren Applied Technologies Force India are looking to head the mid-field in 2011.

Today was a disaster for the team
Perez took Ocon out - how did not know it was him - the only other pink car and pink helmet driver on the grid

Then he decided to batter Sirotkin out of the way so Force India ended up with nil points. Now they have employed they can't race each other strategy again... I am not sure if I was Ocon I'd want to comply given he is looking for a drive.

Today probably shows why Perez is not wanted by the big teams as well ..if he did not have money he might not be in F1

With these guys its not as obvious as Sauber which is same owners, new name, given that its new owners, new name should we create a new thread for Racing (No) Point??

Well they have a new companies house number. The first time that has changed since Jordan so.....maybe new thread I reckon.

Having said that if we go that rule the Honda, Brawn and Merc thread should be merged into each.

Not trying to be difficult, I thought Racing Point was only a temporary name and they were going to announce a different one when they launch the 2019 car. I read that somewhere, I can't recall where though.

From what I remember they were Racing Point Force India last year just to get round the wrangle of not being a new team and then the Force India was going to get dropped for 2019.

The name actually really shows the teams intentions. You only have to look at the Merc emblem to see what they are going on about

I presume they had to change the company registration to avoid being pulled in to any litigation which will follow Vijay Mallay around.

So they're not going to be Racing Point (as we said), the new name they're going with is completely different it's 'Racing Point F1'.

Wow, who would have believed it? :rolleyes:

Angel - being fair, they were investigating other names - apparently they approached Lola over the possibility of rebranding themselves/licensing themselves as the Lola team... To me, that would have been a non-starter... Of course, given that Sauber have rebranded as Alfa Romeo, RPFI could have rebranded as Sauber! ;)

Back
Top Bottom