Fish Keeping

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Greenlantern101, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fish flitting from 90ltr to 240ltr now complete. Almost 3 months planning and serious graft.

One of the most stressful days in my life.

You don't appreciate how much you love your fish until you almost kill them through stress by trying to catch them in a net when they are so bloody fast and evade you for 10 minutes straight.

My most stubborn fish a 6 inch Siamese Algae Eater, my favorite fish, almost had me a nervous wreck after chasing him for 10 minutes straight he almost gave up exhausted, hit the glass so many times, I got him in the net my heart going like the clappers, I was shaking, then he sat in the corner of the new 200 ltr for 90 minutes and didn't move. So scared for him. He is ok, eating and hanging out with his easier to catch pal. So happy it's done now.

Whole tank looking great just to keep an eye on water chemistry now for next few weeks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Speshal and cider_and_toast like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Tank is 200ltr, custom filter with fluval 206 and custom beer keg expansion takes water capacity to 240ltrs.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  4. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Just shows, modern beer is like water.ROFL

5. Speshal

Speshal World Champion Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I'm very excited about my new vacuum :D

[​IMG]

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  6. Bushi

Bushi Pole Sitter

Did you let some water out before trying to catch them Greenlantern101 ?

Had the same thing with my 10 inch Pleco back when he moved tanks. In a few weeks I have to do the same with my other Pleco , raphael catfish,chinese catfish, and ancictrus. Those last three is gonna be hard since they can't be catched with a net. :ermmm:

Is that for fine sand aswell Speshal ?

7. Speshal

Speshal World Champion Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I've got fairly chunky gravel substrate and it lifts that if I'm not careful so I'd guess you'd have no sand left if you tried LOL

When I had sand substrate I used to use a 2litre pop bottle with the bottom cut off connected to my siphon hose, it allowed the sand to fall back down and yet clean the "detritus" from the bottom of the tank.

8. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Bushi yes the tank was only half full. If it hadn't been I think my SAE would of been on the floor he was jumping so far out the water.

Thats 3 weeks now they have been in their new home. Water chemistry is perfect, zero amonia, nitrate and nitrite. The monster filter is clearly working.

I might go and buy a few fish at the weekend.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  9. Bushi

Bushi Pole Sitter

Alright, thanks for the tip Speshal .

What kind of fish are you interesed in buying Greenlantern101 ?

Btw, PFK seems like a good forum. Had trouble in finding feedback for a new filter and they have a whole topic with that subject.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  10. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Bushi Yeh PFK is a great forum and magazine.

I have 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, 9 Neon tetras, 7 Rummy nose tetras, 5 Glowlight tetras, 4 Black Widow Tetras, 5 Zebra Danios, 6 Otocinlus, 1 Kuhli loach. Plus 8 shrimps and a dozen nerite snails.

Well I need to bump the Glowlights back up to a shoal of 8 I lost a few a whilst back. And I am thinking about adding a male and female dwarf gourami. And maybe a week later a betta, I miss my fancy man, I used to have.

I am also toying with adding a shoal of harlequin rasboras or alternatively 5 honey gouramis. But I might be bordering on over crowding if I do that.

11. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    There must be a limit to how much your tank will support Greenlantern101 ?

12. Bushi

Bushi Pole Sitter

Depends really from fish to fish. But I think the rule applies such as Tetras 4ltr per 1inch.

13. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    I bought 5 glowlights today so the shoal is up to 10 now. I also saw honey gouramis which are gorgeous but they weren't for sale as they had just arrived. I think I will get 5 honeys and see how busy the tank looks. I am almost at capacity.

Titch likes this.
  14. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    This is how the tank is looking at the moment
    . Try and ignore the elastic bands, they are holding the plants on the log. Should come off in a month.
    1471113739460-1672661823.jpg

Titch and Bushi like this.
  15. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    This is my moment of fame in Practical Fish Keeper magazine. Fame amongst fish nerds. LOL

magazine.png

FB, Titch and Speshal like this.
  16. Bushi

Bushi Pole Sitter

:whistle:(That's a whistle of amazement Greenlantern101 :)) That's a nice looking tank. Maybe that's a cover for there next issue. ;)

17. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    :thumbsup: Fantastic tank Greenlantern101 A few more pics like that in the magazine, and you'll soon be on the staff.

18. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    My daughter and her husband have just bought a 180 ltr tank and they are settling the water in. What quantity of small fish would be best ?

19. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    If it's an internal filter they are typically less efficient at removing pollutants than an external canister filter.

For an internal filter : If looking at small tetras like neons, rummy nose, glow lights etc. then about 25-30 plus maybe 4 otocinclus algae eaters and 6 Nerite snails to control the algae growth.

For an external canister filter you can increase that by maybe a third.

If looking at bigger fish like gourami & cichlids then you need to reduce that significantly.

ALWAYS check the fish are compatible with each other (Temperature, territorial, will they eat each other) and the water parameters (temperature, hardness, PH)

Successful fish keeping is mostly about keeping the water quality super clean.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Titch likes this.
  20. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Thank you Greenlantern101

21. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    My daughter is planting up her new tank, which she's had running for a week and a half, as well as the plants they have put in some wood from the fish shop, so should be OK. However overnight last night one of the bits of wood has grown a clear jelly like slime.
    Disgusting stuff, very thick and it grew so quickly.
    She has taken it out, but what's gone wrong.????
    Help!! Please.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice