Movies Film Thread

Enja

isn't dead.
Valued Member
I realised we don't have a film thread!

Everyone loves a good movie.

Over the past few years I've found myself watching more and more foreign films and less Hollywood blockbusters, while it would be stupid to say they're all the same after a while, they do tend to merge into the subconscious and very few actually stick out.

And yet some people call it pretentious to watch foreign language films! :givemestrength:

I watched a film called "Shanghai Dreams" which was on BBC4 last week, I read the reviews and expected something quite dull and boring, but I was intrigued enough to have a watch. While it was definitely bleak, I thought it was an excellent portrayal of people struggling to live in 80's China. I'd give it a 7.5, maybe 8, out of 10.

So, seen anything good recently? :goodday:

Wait 'til c_a_t sees this.
Many a night he has regaled us with tales of his movie viewing in chat :D

I'm struggling to think of a decent movie I have seen recently :thinking:

ITV4 has just started a Clint Eastwood season presumably because it's 35 years or so since he started making films. They've had Coogans Bluff, Magnum Force and Pale Rider so far. They seem to show them a couple of times as well so one or more of those may come round again this week.

Brogan said:
Wait 'til c_a_t sees this.
Many a night he has regaled us with tales of his movie viewing in chat :D

I'm struggling to think of a decent movie I have seen recently :thinking:

Have I ??

Must have been drunk at the time.

I have to say, I love a good film but I haven't seen a good new one for a while. The funny thing is that while I was watching V for Vendetta (blooming great film and one of my all time faves) last night on BBC3 I thought about posting a Film thread to accompany the music thread. Spooky.

I love a good film that makes you think, I love black and white war films, I love comedies, Good science fiction films (which definitely does not include the three new Star Wars movies), 1970's disaster movies just because of how hammy they are, there are loads of films that are great because they are so bad they are good and quite a few others.

I'm not a fan of "Big Blockbuster movies" in general. It tends to be that the more the hype the less interest I will have in seeing the flim. With one or two exceptions most romantic films make me want to heave and at least 90 percent of the out put of Quentin Tarantino although I have yet to see Inglorius which I'm told is quite good. Any film that is supposed to be a comedy yet isn't and any film that preaches a message that is so blindingly obvious and overly sentimental. I'm sure there are one or two others but I can't think of any right now.

Top Films I would recommend (in no particular order)

1) V for Vendetta
2) Twelve Monkeys
3) The Cruel Sea
4) The Yangtze Incident
5) The Manchurian Candidate (the original not the remake)
6) Grand Prix
7) Planes, Trains and Auto-mobiles
8) The Blues Brothers
9) All the presidents men
10) Too late the Hero

Isn't it strange how most of the best Stephan King adaptations are ones taken from short stories and not those directly adapted from his novels?

Brogan said:
Absolutely.

Most of the novels-cum-films have been dreadful; Cujo; Running Man; Carrie, etc.

Sacrilege! Arnie films should not be judged by the same standards, they are a genre all of their own. Had a 'neggerfest recently (Conan, Red Heat, Commando, T1 & 2, Predator, Raw Deal, Eraser, Total Recall, Collateral Damage to name nearly all of them).

Commando is still the daddy though, the gloriously ignored continuity errors are an evenings entertainment on their own.

Bullfrog said:
ITV4 has just started a Clint Eastwood season presumably because it's 35 years or so since he started making films. They've had Coogans Bluff, Magnum Force and Pale Rider so far. They seem to show them a couple of times as well so one or more of those may come round again this week.

Speaking of Clint...

From off the top of my head, two films that I can nominate* are:

The Outlaw Jose Wales; and
Unforgiven (Showing tonight, by the way, on ITV4 @ 21.00)

I'm sure I'll post some more ideas, once I've given this some thought... :thinking:

*We are nominating films, aren't we..?!

Bullfrog said:
Sacrilege! Arnie films should not be judged by the same standards, they are a genre all of their own.
I agree, on reflection that one can be struck from the list.

Bullfrog said:
Had a 'neggerfest recently

I'll be back!

Brogan said:
Is unforgiven the one about the car and the Korean family?

If so I thought that was pap.

Blimey no, you're thinking of Gran Torino.

The Unforgiven is one of Clint's best cowboy films. (and his last I think) (with the exception of Space Cowboys of course :D ). He stared in it and directed it. I think it won him his first "Best Director" Oscar.

All in all, it's not a bad film.

cider_and_toast said:
The Unforgiven is one of Clint's best cowboy films.

Indeed.

"Harsh and Brooding", as the Guardian puts it.

Clint is an ageing gun-slinger, turned pig farmer, that takes one last job to avenge an attack on prostitute. Gene Hackman, as the brutal sheriff, does a decent turn as well...

Hmm, just updated my film list, couldn't get it below 29 though...

13th Warrior, The
51st State, The
Animal House
Dish, The
Down Periscope
The Fugitive
Gladiator
Goodbye Mr Chips (Robert Donat)
Hot Fuzz
The Incredibles
The Italian Job
Keeping Mum
Lawrence of Arabia
Life of Brian
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Man on Fire
The Man Who Would Be King
MASH
The Matrix
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Peacemaker (George Clooney)
The Santa Clause
Saving Grace
Schindler's List
The Shawshank Redemption
The Silence of the Lambs
Space Cowboys
Water (Michael Caine)
Without a Clue

Does make me realise there are some big holes in my collection though...

I can't post everything I own, my fingers would fall off. Since the advent of Fop it's blossomed ridiculously. Last purchases were some anime titles plus a couple of others

Akira (again, but this was a re-mastered edition I don't have)
Spirited Away (ridiculous that I didn't own a legitimate copy of one of my favourite ever films)
Ghost in the Shell 2 (one day I'll understand it, this I so swear)

A Scanner Darkly
Groundhog Day
Titus

13th Warrior, The - Don't think I've seen it.
51st State, The, Great Film. Love the discussion about the "dogs whatsits"
Animal House, A classic - The Horse scene !!!
Dish, The, Another Classic, Sam Neil is great in this film. US National Anthem as Hawaii 50 theme.
Down Periscope. Erm No.
The Fugitive. Harrison Fords last decent movie and Tommy Lee Jones on top form as usual
Gladiator. Seriously No !!
Goodbye Mr Chips (Robert Donat) - No seen sorry.
Hot Fuzz, Great Film
The Incredibles, Not seen.
The Italian Job, Only the original will do. Another classic but how frustrating is that ending.
Keeping Mum, I'm pretty sure this has Patrick Swayze in it? A very black comedy if I remember correctly.
Lawrence of Arabia, S'ok
Life of Brian, Great, Great Film.
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Ok but not a big fan of those 90's and 00's "gor blimey geezer" movies
Man on Fire, Not seen.
The Man Who Would Be King, Is this the Sean Connery and Michael Caine film? If so, it's great.
MASH, Another absolute cracker of a movie, Big fan of Donald Sutherland
The Matrix, Nope, just can't get into it. Not my cuppa at all.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Classic, no need to say more.
The Peacemaker (George Clooney), Not seen,
The Santa Clause, Not for me.
Saving Grace, Not seen.
Schindler's List, It's ok.
The Shawshank Redemption, Great Film.
The Silence of the Lambs, Great Film.
Space Cowboys, Great Film
Water (Michael Caine), One of the most underated British comedies ever and I don't know why?? Love it.
Without a Clue, Is this the Film where Michael Caine plays Sherlock Holmes? Great film if it is??

Back
Top Bottom