Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

I notice all the debate is about the past, I am pretty sure he has moved on, and so must we all. *back to the future*
Assuming he had no play in the race fixing scandal, I actually felt he had redeemed himself somewhat by humbling himself at Renault, but as soon as he got to Ferrari the old beast returned and the darker side of his character re-emerged. The only reason I find it hard to hold this side of his character against him is that he makes no apologies for it. He is true to himself and there is no shame in that. When you are shameless that is.
Still one of the top two for me, ahead of Jenson and Seb.

Not all of it. ;)

just afew pointers Trulli was also managed by Briatore which is something Jenson does not want to bother wasting his time on the fact that

A) Fisichella his teammate was managed by Flavio and instilled as No1 in 2001
B) He performed better than Trulli in 2002 and was offered an improved contract with a clause stating 25% commission goes to Flavio for joining his stable as part of the deal
C) He was dropped for Alonso who was also managed by Flavio and was promised a race seat for 2003

Trulli actually was beating Alonso in 2004 with his win in Monaco raising his stock and whilst discussing contract it was something similar to the terms offered to Button with Flavio taking 25% of his pay.
The last lap sleeping in France changed Flavio's opinion and relationship soured from then on with Trulli clearly wanting better offers on his terms than Flavio

Apart from Alonso, and Schumacher the only other driver Flavio has managed not to shaft is Mark Webber

Going back to Alonso

He's an absolute formidable competitor and last year he did not care about being the villian for his grass cutting at Silverstone which is what cost him the title and the fact he started accusing the stewards of bias and not turn up for the BBC interview afterwards made him look bad.

Like Webber he sometimes has to feel the odds are against him to be backed against a wall to show his absolute best. The other side though is that he wants everyone to side with him but the first signs of trouble he refuses to admit he's the cause of it all

Apart from Alonso, and Schumacher the only other driver Flavio has managed not to shaft is Mark Webber

Not through lack of trying!

Anyway, you would expect Alonso to win a race before the end of the season. And if he doesn't, it'll be because Ferrari aren't good enough, because there has scarcely been a more consistent driver in Formula One.

As requested by tby, Fernando's average seasonal qualifying margins over his various team-mates:

FA_teammates.jpg

There isn't the same "Flavio bounce" as the Schumacher one, is there?

Well, the "Flavio Bounce" may not have been as big...but they did indeed come - the first right after the rather fast Trulli was put in the Dog House and, effectively, Sacked/Constructively Dismissed...and the second when Nando decided to flee the Hamilton challenge! :tea:

As an aside, is Boullier right about Grosjean...or was that basically a disinterested Nando knowing he'd be in a Ferrari soon?

JJ Lehto was recovering from a major accident and Jos Verstappen was a complete rookie with, as I recall, little testing under his belt, so it's not directly comparable. The change from 2005 to 2006 is interesting.

As is the comparison between 2008 and 2010, if you're that way inclined.

JJ Lehto was recovering from a major accident and Jos Verstappen was a complete rookie with, as I recall, little testing under his belt, so it's not directly comparable.

It is still worth noticing that the top 5 of Schumacher's team-mate gaps were Brundle, Patrese, Lehto, Verstappen and Herbert in 1992-5.

The change from 2005 to 2006 is interesting.

And extraordinarily surprising.

As is the comparison between 2008 and 2010, if you're that way inclined.

Again, that will make for unpleasant reading for Felipe, and extraordinarily pleasant reading for Nelsinho.

In '05 Fisi only outqualified Alonso 3 times, and each time the gap was 0.090s, 0.011s and 0.263s.

In '06 (when the 3-part system came in) he was quicker more often than before, and when he was ahead, his gaps were usually bigger.

s an aside, is Boullier right about Grosjean...or was that basically a disinterested Nando knowing he'd be in a Ferrari soon?

The Grosjean-Alonso comparison is based on a small sample of races (6 - I excluded wet Interlagos qualifying) - and there might be a relevant factor in that 4 of them are Q1 times. Romain was doubtless giving it 100% trying to make it through to Q2, whereas perhaps Fernando (who got through to Q2 16 times out of 17) had something in reserve?

Back
Top Bottom