Current Fernando Alonso

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by RayInTorontoCanada, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Mezzer

Mezzer A fine chap if ever there was one. Contributor

I think it’s all over, and I can’t help but think when he looks back at the later half of his career and wonders whether [allegedly] trying to blackmail Ron was worth all the grief that came afterwards.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Andyoak likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    With the lack of announcement so far from alonso on the 14th. Interesting alonso liked this tweet. Backing his argument that team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne is closer to his level than some of his previous F1 team-mates despite his poor qualifying performances this season . As i just find it weird him supporting his teammate its so out of character. For the last decade as been more than happy to chuck his teammate & sometimes team bosses under the bus at any time if it benefits him. So has he all of sudden 16 seasons in become mr nice guy or whats his ulterior motive

Screenshot_20180814-145225.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  4. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    That's because it's more important for Fernando to throw shade at Kimi right now I reckon.

5. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Good bye and thanks for all the fish...

McLaren Formula 1 - McLaren confirms Fernando Alonso decision

Mezzer, gethinceri, Speshal and 3 others like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Well we didn't see that coming did we? Good luck to Fernando, he'd burnt his boats at Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull didn't want him, with the other cars being nowhere near fast enough there really wasn't much point in him staying was there?

Hmm, should I point out to FB it should be So Long And Thanks For All The Fish? Probably not ;)

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  7. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I know a lot of you don’t like Alonso, for various reasons, But I will miss his shenanigans . We need colourful characters in F1, especially at the moment.

8. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm not an Alonso fan but agree with you wholeheartedly Titch. He certainly adds character to the sport and is one of the more mentally agile drivers. I might not miss him as much as you though ;)

9. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Cue beginning of 7 days of mourning in the RasputinLives household.

LOL

RasputinLives likes this.
  10. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I think that was the clincher. When a surprise top seat opened up for next year and Horny and the gang went public with a veiled "thanks but no thanks". Fernando's tickets to the USA were confirmed.

11. Clay

Clay Test Driver

Hallelujah.

12. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Alonso suggests he could return to F1 after 2019

13. Speshal

Speshal World Champion Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Good, have fun in Le Mans and Indianapolis Frenando.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  14. Road of Bones

Road of Bones MTC Mole Premium Contributor

I’ll miss him, but I expect McLaren will miss him even more next season. Sainz to Woking then?

15. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    With Lando as his teammate.

16. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    It does leave F1 with one less "Premier League" driver. I reckon we now only two who are seriously top division and then a long serious of "Championship" drivers.

F1Brits_90 and gethinceri like this.
  17. Mezzer

Mezzer A fine chap if ever there was one. Contributor

I think it's less that they didn't want him than, when weighing up potential grief with Verstappen as their future boy plus whatever salary he would want (unless he was prepared to take a huge paycut, which I think was pretty unlikely), it just didn't make sense. It's a sad end to a F1 career for a top driver like Alonso but, as I've said before, it's a bed of his own making.

18. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    This probally the most conflicted post ive written, because i was really sad at the news being confirmed but expected. As Id assumed alonso retirement was coming. (Picture below) me & him have had our up & downs. Times i loved watching him like at renault also back end of 2012 onwards & times like for around 4 years between 2007 - 2011 that i hated his guts. in my eyes he was public enemy number 1. So i felt strange to feel so sad for a guy who ive grown to like but did have had such hate for

You could tell he getting disillusioned since spa 2016. He has other ambitions which he has my best wishes for. 1 of most unfulfilled talents of last 20yrs. Because if you told me in oct 2006. He wouldnt win another world champ, i wouldve laughed you out of town as it incomprehensible that man of that talent wouldnt. But as someone has said Fernando Alonso was so often the right man at the wrong place at the wrong time. F1 will miss him in 2019. For his personality, his battling attitude. The drives that turn hate to love in 2010 i against alonso but 2012 i was for him. Because i think 2012 was alonso at his best. Its a miracle that car was even in championship contention at interlagos. Because red bull was in a different league in performance. Yet he was 3 pts & 30laps away 156 pts ahead of teammate massa

No doubt in my mind that he would still be capable 17yrs since his debut of winning a 3rd world title if he was in a top team. But his career has inhibited that with blackmail, crashgate, fernando is faster than you & honda which is shame. Alonso in a red bull wouldve been amazing

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  19. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Forgot to post my physic prediction on twitter LOL
    Screenshot_20180814-234727.jpg

20. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    So who will we all love to hate now?

21. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    doesn't Alonso former teammate (enemy into friend) Lewis Hamilton fit that bill

Road of Bones likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice