Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

The frustration is palpable. Someone at McLaren tells me there is now a fist-sized hole in the wall of Alonso's driver room...
- Andrew Benson

Very mature behaviour. He might want to go and have dinner with Jeremy Clarkson.

But just think of all the new excuses he can come up with to explain his lack of success (it can never be HIS fault!!!). He now has a new power unit to publicly humiliate. What more could he ask for?

IMO, McLaren could have better spent the (undoubtedly very large) sum spent on his salary for developing the car and bringing new driving talent on board. I truly believe that FA is WAY past his prime.

Last edited:
Its only reputation and the lack of quality replacements that mean Mclaren need Alonso more than he needs them

Would Alonso's legendary status be tarnished if he never goes on the podium again? At the moment no because the only two drivers who has more titles than him Vettel and Hamilton are already both considered legends and probably to some people would put them ahead of him in the greatest drivers of all time lists

Ferrari and Vettel winning the WDC would be the ultimate insult to him

So probably we will wait for another 10 years when Verstappen is probably going to rewrite the records

I don't know if anyone else had picked up on this, but Alonso has signed up to drive in the Daytona 24 hours race in an LMP2 car - I'd not seen this until today... We really are getting to a change of heart from F1 teams - not so long ago, F1 drivers were not allowed to drive anything, for fear of breaking a fingernail!...

The team Fernando is driving for is run by Zak Brown. I think this might explain why he's being allowed to race there. Oh, and one of the other drivers in the car is Lando Norris. I suspect Zak is just trying to get value for money out of his driver contracts.

Suspect Fernando will treat it as experience for Le Mans, and given the publicity he'll generate it makes sense for him to do it with Zak's team.

Now ties with Honda have been cut, there's nothing stopping him driving for Toyota...

This article made me laugh

'Politically bad' Alonso only has himself to blame | PlanetF1

Nelson Piquet (Snr) saying Alonso has lost titles because he cause bad situations everywhere he goes. Yes that's Nelson Piquet saying that. It's not very often you come across a comment by one individual about another where if you accidently mixed up the names it would still apply.

Alonso has signed to do a full season (when there are no clashes) for Toyota in the WEC.

It's an interesting move. I think it probably signals a phased exit for Alonso from F1.

Back
Top Bottom