Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

So Alonso retired in Belgium saying he had an engine problem but Honda have come out publicly and said they could find no fault with the engine.

Interesting.

but lets not forget Honda aren't greatest at evaluation they called 2017 engine a huge step forward & then took to Canada for 1 of the cars to see the chequered flag

Honda have been poor but I'm afraid I refused to believe Alonso knows and engines broke and the trained engineers at Honda Don't. If that were true Fernando should be building the engines himself.

Alonso says Mclaren have a really good chance. Reports Vandoorne was spotted being shown the wall at turn 15 cannot be confirmed.
He talked about Karma, when Palmer retired during the last race, if he believes in the concept, it should give him an idea, why he has achieved so little in the past few years...
It won’t help him, he’ll be blessed with another PU failure.

The car which was supposed to drive Alonso around the track in Monza also suffered an oil leak. LOL

I think Mclaren Renault will be fighting for top 6 next year and Alonso would be mad to leave. Then come the big engine change in 2020 Mclaren will start making their own engines. Keeping Honda would be wrong after they have been let down so badly.

Alonso has burnt his bridges with Honda but he has kept on saying that with a decent engine the McLaren could be fighting for wins. It looks as though he may well get the chance to put his money where his mouth is.

Given how thoroughly he has bad-mouthed Honda, I wonder if any of the Honda-powered Indy car teams would be willing (allowed) to give FA a full-time ride.

So true Road of Bones, Honda cost Alonso any chance of a third title when he was at the peak of his powers. I hope he has another chance with Renault power, he deserves that at least. Something else we should remember, he was in the box seat for the win at Indy, making up places every lap with only 20 to go when his Honda let go. The win was certainly within reach. Any one of the Indycar teams would love to have Alonso in one of their cars. I'm sure if Alonso had a choice of Honda or Chevy power Honda would be hoping he was powered by them, they certainly wouldn't block him.

IMO when someone is being paid millions of dollars to ply their profession, their employer has the right to expect them to exhibit professional behavior at all times, NOT behavior more appropriate for someone ensconced in a pram than in an F1 car.

They all do it. Senna moaned at Honda, Prost at Ferrari. Nigel at everyone, obviously. We've been deprived of some great racing, whether Alonso "deserves it" is irrelevant to me.

siffert_fan ..... I've said before Alonso's behaviour dates back to his McLaren bust up in 2007. Surely it''s time to leave the past behind, it was ten years ago, we were watching a very young man growing up which is often not a pretty sight. Without rehashing the past, the scandal that lead to Alonso's behaviour was not of his making. Ron Denis and many other insiders at the time have made it very clear that Alonso wasn't at fault. The driver we see today still has the self belief he always had, but is a very different man now he's matured. If McLaren were able to recognise where the blame lay and bring him back into the team surely we should also be able to leave the past where it belongs.

If you think that a "mature man" constantly moans and pouts, then your idea of maturity (and manhood) seemingly are vastly different than mine.

FA also seems to have a Trump-like aversion to accepting responsibility for ANYTHING.

Last edited:
I dont believe Alonso moans and pouts, he does set very high standards for himself though and makes it obvious he expects the same from those around him which is one of the characteristics that sets him apart and will leave him with the reputation as one of the greats of F1.

siffert_fan

I agree and that's why I'm tired of him.

I also can't believe McLaren decided to part from Honda and not Alonso. How many more years has he got in him and who can guarantee that the Renault will be an improvement next season? Would it not be beneficial to have a long-term engine partner instead of being a customer team?

Alonso has failed everywhere except at Renault, where Briatore always had his back, even going so far as releasing Trulli once he posed a threat to Alonso. He hasn't just been berating Honda, he already did it at Ferrari.

Back
Top Bottom