Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

The previous holder of Lowe's position was Pat Symonds, who had a quite successful career but could not turn Williams around; Lowe is not guarenteed to do it either.

I think that if McLaren get Renault engines Alonso would be better off staying put.

from the interviews i heard post race. im certain alonso wants to stay at mclaren & he enjoys it at mclaren but he wants to get rid of honda. Although this might be my eternal optimsim part of me coming through but i feel 2018 should be the breakthrough we all waited since 2015 for. because they would be challenging with red bulls im pretty sure with a renault engine

also its the only engine i know that ever been confused at going flat out through pouhon

Alonso's got just enough time left in his career to burn another bridge, so why not Williams, or Renault, or anyone else. It really doesn't matter, he won't get a top drive.

I really want to feel sorry for Alonso but I kinda feel like this is all a situation of his own making.

Mclaren should stick it out with Honda and bring in Lando Norris. There are signs that Honda engine is getting better as long as it keeps running. At least they know where the problems are. Renault is hardly a risk free switch.

that's what I was thinking, at full charge and full chat on the first couple of laps it didn't look to be a bad engine at all.

They just need to get it recharging effectively along with some more reliability (although that looks to be heading in the right direction) and they'll have a tidy motor.

It would also fulfill the Alonso prophecy of leaving teams just before they become proper contenders.

I shouldn't be surprised to see JB back at McLaren next season (not least as he's announced that he will be competing in a full motorsport campaign next season)- with Alonso already decided on moving to pastures new, but the decision not being announced yet, due to the impact on the driver market!

I do wonder sometimes if Martin Brundle is on some sort of kick back from Flav should Alonso move team. His braying over the weekend about the "waste of talent" completely ignores the negative impact Alonso has had on the various teams he has driven for over the years and the fact the current situation is entirely of his own making. No one forced him to leave McLaren in 2007, no one forced him to leave Ferrari in 2014.

I don't care how good he is at pedalling the car, top drivers take the team with them. Fernando managed this at Renault in his championship years, he has singularly failed to do this with any of his subsequent teams and this won't have gone unnoticed by any of the other team principals.

This was the quote that got me:

"With a greater driver in the team, everybody is motivated to work that bit harder for performance because they know it's going to be exploited and deliver great results. But it can go the other way if you have drivers that are not performing."

How wonderful (GP2 engine!) Fernando has been (GP2 engine!) at motivating the Honda engineers (GP2 engine!) whenever he's had the chance (GP2 engine!).

So Alonso retired in Belgium saying he had an engine problem but Honda have come out publicly and said they could find no fault with the engine.

Interesting.

I think it was very obvious at Spa that Alonso retired because he didn't want to race anymore, whatever reason was given, he's totally fed up with a car that doesn't deliver. Well he seems to be, I don't know, obviously.
But surely that's not unnatural, would Button have retired if he was in a car that was winning races. I don't think so. But no one gives him a hard time.So why should we denigrate Alonso for staying put and looking for a better drive.
If he does go to Williams he may just drag something out of the car, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom