Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

The thing I really enjoyed about Palmer/Kvyat/Alonso in Bahrain was that I've never seen a battle before with such a strong negative correlation between driver talent and car competitiveness.

Live feed here:

30k people watching Alonso's car being fine tuned. I guess many people have a lot of time at their disposal (including me)

Finished up with a lap at 222.5mph. Not bad for a first run, and five full days of practice still to come before qualifying.

A few notes:

Car livery sporting the right McLaren Orange papaya with some nice retro touches, like Alonso's name in cursiva, the kiwi on the nose, the number 29 in blue giving a nice contrast.

Helmet also very retro with a black mate background and a few touches that remind of his F1 helmet

He killed 2 birds with a stone. Actually with the car itself. He said he avoided one but couldn't see the other 2. At least there was no suffering

At some point when he was called in to the boxes, he had to block hard. I think the commentator mention his tyres were squares now

Alonso is enjoying himself. Very easy going and the Andretti crowd were also having a good time

Do you know what the title of Alonso's diary is?
Guinness Book of World Records.

Every race weekend it's the same with Alonso: "I'm the best, I'm the greatest of all time, the people in the team are inept."... We're only four races in, but I'm sick and tired of him already.

He hasn't won a race in four years, that's a fact and it's down to his decisions, impatience and interpersonal skills - he seems to have upset a lot of people at Ferrari.

I've never heard him say 'I'm the best, I'm the greatest of all time', or anything like that. Not that I'm a fan of his, far from it. His touchiness, outbursts and apparent fallout with Ferrari show his faults and his disatisgaction with his lot, given that he's a double world champ and would like a better car.

Rutherford - hypothetical question - would you rather that Alonso had already retired, or was driving a competitive car?

It will be a sad day when the last temperamental, plotting Prima Donna retires from F1. Let's face it, we can always rely on Alonso to stir things up a bit, when it's all getting a bit dull.

I've never heard him say 'I'm the best, I'm the greatest of all time', or anything like that.

He never directly says it but has implied it throughout most of the Grand Prix weekends. "My best race ever" "I'm the quickest in the corners" "Wow these guys must be really slow if I'm in front of them" "how are we this far up?". He is very subtle.

He gets his mate Webber to say he actually is the greatest

It's all about self promotion for Alonso this year. Convince everyone he is doing amazing and hopefully get a good drive.

Edit - hell without his comedy radio messages he Wouldn't get any air time! All well thought out

Last edited:
It will be a sad day when the last temperamental, plotting Prima Donna retires from F1

It's quite an unlikely event that the day you above mention will come before the destruction of the planet by nuclear warheads, an asteroid, global climactic change, alien invasion, Judgement Day, acid rain or meddlers in the space-time continuum.

I've never heard him say 'I'm the best, I'm the greatest of all time', or anything like that. Not that I'm a fan of his, far from it. His touchiness, outbursts and apparent fallout with Ferrari show his faults and his disatisgaction with his lot, given that he's a double world champ and would like a better car.

Rutherford - hypothetical question - would you rather that Alonso had already retired, or was driving a competitive car?
He's a great driver and before he moved to McLaren he was most likely the best on the grid. It's difficult to judge him now.
If he doesn't shut up I'd like to see him retire. His ego has always been a limiting factor in his career, I doubt he will change at the age of 36. He could have beaten Hamilton in 2007, instead he got involved in a messy struggle for power at McLaren, lost the backing of the team and the championship. His career went downwards from there on.
At McLaren he forgot that Briatore wasn't team manager, as he would have just fired Hamilton.

I like Alonso, I like Webber, but I don't like their circle j**king.

Rutherford I can't disagree with the details of your last post, but my resulting feeling about Alonso is opposite to yours. Although I'm no fan, his very nature, his anger, his annoying traits make him more interesting for me, as a paying fan who wants to be entertained. I see this all the time, people getting angry with sportsmen and women, entertainers etc who they have absolutely nothing to do with, will never get to know or ever be close to. If Alonso was repeatedly ringing your doorbell asking to borrow some sugar and boring you with tales of how bad his car is I'd understand, but he's not (unless I'm very much mistaken). Do we want a grid of Nice Personalities who never get ruffled? Now that would be dull.

I don't mean to argue, you have every right to prefer him not to be in the sport if you like, but be careful what you wish for.

As for his comments RasputinLives, the same thing goes, even if he was being serious. More controversy equals more entertainment, unless the behaviour is so extreme as to be really offensive.

Rant over.

I Don't have a problem with him being in F1 and in fact find his attempt to manipulate the Mclaren are crap situation into a Alonso is a god situation quite amusing. Unfortunately it very much takes the focus off other up and coming talent on the grid I would much rather see grow.

I'd much rather see Carlos Sainz sign for Renault and show us what he's got the see Alonso sign for them and moan because it's not the best car. Because of his PR strategy, and the plaudits and sponsors it attracts, it's more likely to be Fernando and I think that its F1s loss as its younger talent falls out of the sport because it's older talent clings on through sponsorship manipulation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom