Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

McLaren got rid of the wrong one.
Alonso was vastly superior to Piquet, Grosjean, Massa, Raikkonen and Button, as it stands now, Vandoorne will suffer the same bitter fate.
Therefore, I see no reason to put Vandoorne in a better car than Alonso if he can't beat the old man he isn't going to be much better than any other nobody on the grid. Hamilton is the only driver on the grid so far who has beaten Alonso - with the exception of Jarno "the train driver" Trulli if one is to judge by the points tally of their time at Renault in '04.

Rutherford do you expect every driver who enters F1 to be a complete finished product on getting in the car? Suggesting that because Vandorne has not beat his two time world champion team mate, who has over 15 years of F1 experience, over the course of 2 Grand Prix means who is not deserving of a better drive is ludicrous.

There is such a thing as development and potential. I'd much rather see one of the new guys in a good car to see whether they have what it takes - rather than an old guy who we know will do well but get beat by Hamilton and Vettel.

It's a bit similar to how Fernando ended up with a top drive in the first place.

Last edited:
gethinceri I know, I was pointing out that McLaren didn't get rid of the wrong one for the reason I mentioned. ;)

RasputinLives I don't expect Vandoorne to beat Alonso straight off the bat - like Hamilton did, when Alonso was already a two time WC - but I also don't see him beating Alonso regularly either and if he can't beat Alonso in a McLaren he's not worth putting in a top car unless he's to become a domestique like Massa or Barrichello.
Would Alonso lose against Vettel? We don't know the gap between Alonso and Raikkonen was greater than the gap between Vettel and Raikkonen. ;)

Last edited:
Vandoorne and Alonso both have only one opponent this far, and it's the orange machine around them.

McLaren have 4 mechanical DNFs from 4 starts. Difficult to compare at this stage!

I find this very interesting in the fact that they'd never have been able to do this if Bernie was still running F1. Not that this is a bad thing. Bernie just didn't like to share his toys.

I'm not sure it signals a future in Indy Car for Alonso though. I think it's more part of his ever growing sales pitch for next season.

Would not be surprised if he announced Le Mans too.

He wants to be the goat.

Fernando Alonso Indy 500 bid part of desire to win 'triple crown'

"I've won the Monaco Grand Prix twice, and it's one of my ambitions to win the triple crown, which has been achieved by only one driver in the history of motorsport: Graham Hill," said Alonso.

"It's a tough challenge, but I'm up for it. I don't know when I'm going to race at Le Mans, but one day I intend to.

"I'm only 35: I've got plenty of time for that."

Last edited:
I hope he knows what he's getting himself into... the Indy 500 isn't really the safest environment to be a rookie in for someone with no oval racing experience...

Have you seen the video of Fernando and Zak Brown making the announcement? Judging by the wallpaper I can only assume it was filmed at the local Indian restaurant to the MTC. I'll see if I can find a link.

I hope he knows what he's getting himself into... the Indy 500 isn't really the safest environment to be a rookie in for someone with no oval racing experience...

incubus....Those oval races with their necessary high fences to protect the spectators, aren't safe for any driver whether being a rookie or veteran.

Although I would be over the moon, if Fernando could pull it off with a win like Rossi.

I bet his Mum's not happy.

Alonso has always been so openly devious and ambitious. There is no one else quite like him. Which is a shame, at least for the entertainment value .

Back
Top Bottom