Technical F1 Engines - Where to for the future?

It seems, frankly, bizarre that the FIA would grant a 25 year monopoly to electrical racing to one single series; i’m not at all convinced that that contract would stand scrutiny by the competition and monopoly authorities.

The thing with formula E is it’s a bit shit. If formula 1 goes all electric, the following would need to be met:
  1. Cars should be capable of 200mph+
  2. Cars should be capable of covering 200 miles without switching cars
  3. Teams need to be developing technology that is road car applicable.

It seems, frankly, bizarre that the FIA would grant a 25 year monopoly to electrical racing to one single series; i’m not at all convinced that that contract would stand scrutiny by the competition and monopoly authorities.

The thing with formula E is it’s a bit shit. If formula 1 goes all electric, the following would need to be met:

1. Teams need to be developing technology that is road car applicable.

Since self-driving cars seem to be the way of the future, that would mean creating self-driving F1 cars. How many on here would watch such a series? I wouldn't.

There is no way F1 will go all electric. The majority of it's audience are old farts and purests who throw a temper tantrum because the cars aren't 'loud' enough or that the speedometer on the graphic doesn't go up high enough (let's be honest that the only way you can actually tell how fast the cars are going on TV). There will come a point where F1 will shove the word Classic in front of its title and then carry on burning oil.

My wishes for Formula 1 engines are simple: I want a variety of configurations and I want them to sound good. I think the way to get this is put a limit on fuel and cost and put tighter restrictions on factory teams than satellite or independent teams.

this point weirdly comes from me playing F1 2017 & the multi class race tying up loose ends before the new game comes out. where me as a 2010 Red Bull was battling to fend off a 2004 Ferrari in montreal. that I think that V10's would be beneficial to F1 currently because not only are they cheaper, lighter & louder. but they are arguably just as quick or quicker. so I did some research on 2004 pole times compared to the 2018 pole times that have same circuits or same layout.

it was quite interesting that 2004 Ferrari had it hypothetically been on the 2018 grid would've qualified 14th in austraila, 11th in Bahrain, 9th in Canada, 5th in Italy & 15th in China. that's all despite less sticky tyres, no party modes & 15yr old aerodynamics. whose to say you stick the 2004 v10 engine in 2018 ferrari. they wouldn't have gone much faster or would it be interesting to get rid of engine rules & let people do what they want you could have a grid of V10s & hybrid V6's. could help the budget problem & B teams for the privateers at the back of the grid

Why not just pluck a fuel number out of the sky, let's say 50 litres of bio fuel.

Then tell the teams, 30 minutes before the race the FIA representatives will come to your garage and fuel both cars with exactly 50 litres. That's your lot.

Build anything you like in the back of the car, you have to complete a 200Km race on that.

For testing, it wouldn't be on days or times but on fuel. To test the car you'll get 500 litres of fuel supplied from an official fuelling truck. When it's gone it's gone.

That would increase diversity of design, improve efficiency and fuel economy.

Winner.

It always strikes me as odd that Porsche and Audi are represented (who haven't been in F1 in any real sense for 30 years), yet Honda who have been represented on and off throughout the period are not. (I'd also want to see other manufacturers, including Ford

You'd think that Honda, having been caught out by the new rules in 2015, would be proactive in being involved in the discussions!

I don't understand Porche and Audi as basically they are the same company though pretend not to be, Honda may not be interested, it doesn't say they were or weren't invited

Porsche and Audi is basically like Citroen and Peugeot...its odd to think.Porsche and Audi appear to have separate racing divisions

Why are not Ford invited given their F1 history?

Back
Top Bottom