1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical F1 Engines - Where to for the future?

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by FB, Dec 21, 2014.

1. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

To add to the refueling (which I like but think fuel flow should be slowed down) idea, the WEC is mandating that the P1 cars drive in pit lane on electric power only, maybe this is not a bad idea for F1?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    marksawatsky - that had been in the initial regulations announced for 2014, but was binned, along with most of the interesting rules!

4. TR

TR Rookie

I think this would be very bad for racing. I'll try to explain why. Given the huge advantage to be gained by having large peak power (qualifying, overtaking, start,etc.), constraining only the total fuel (or energy) used during a race, will lead to the teams designing engines that at peak operation will consume the total fuel allotment in a (small) fraction of the race. Consequently, the actual racing will be dominated by the drivers having to manage their fuel allotment. This means lots of lift and coasting, drivers losing the race because they ran out of fuel, none of which sounds particularly interesting to watch.

A secondary concern would is safety related. Regulations in the last decades have had to limit the engine power available on safety grounds. A total fuel used limit, does not put an effective limit on the instantaneous engine power. This could lead to unsafe situations.

My vote would be to limit fuel flow (or energy consumption), and nothing else. This will allow the engine to be driven at maximal power, for as long as they stay in one piece, while effectively limiting the maximal power.

5. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Cars running out of fuel back in the early 80's was great fun.

cider_and_toast and Andyoak like this.
  6. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Cosworth are considering a return to F1 if the rules are simplified. There's an interesting bit at the bottom about them making an LMP1 engine. This, apparently, is the Nissan engine fitted to the ByKolles car as Cosworth did the development.

Cosworth begins work towards 2021 Formula 1 return

7. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    i disagree with refuelling. because people do forget that very few overtakes where happening on track. because it was all happening through strategy in the pit lane. at least this currently makes forced to make overtakes on tracks

well more engines the better as long as they are capable & not honda but that is as much fia fault as well honda

Share This