FIA Engine Mapping clarification a-comin'

Undoubtably there are grey areas in the rules, and all teams will try to take advantage of this. And the FIA are notoriously bad at creating a level playing field because they either cant help having favourites, and teams they dont like, or they are just not good at policing their rules. So on this engine mapping:dunno:Here we go again, like Silverstone last year....a mess! (So what gonna happen, anyone know??)
On that Vettel manoeuvre, he was clearly in the wrong, no question there. Yes it would be better if the tracks themselves punished such manoeuvres...but they dont, and in this case the stewards got it right.

They're not good at making the rules, and then can't help but be bad at policing them. Rules should always be a watertight "you cannot" etc. If it's not covered by "You cannot" then it's legal. There's too much room for manoeuvre for teams at the moment. The FIA must either pay peanuts to the people who write the rules or just be monumentaly dim if they think teams like Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren or Mercedes won't try to outflank them. A rule should always be black or white - you can (it's legal), you can't (it's not).

I would say the FIA are good at making the rules but the teams are better at finding ways to get around them. That's what the car designers are there to do. The FIA's job is to close the loopholes where they see fit to and as quickly as possible. I hope there will be clarification after Hungary, if not before, but I don't envy the task of trying to appear impartial to everyone whilst modifying the rules mid-season.

Keewee,
It was Vettel's pass of Button that was in question. Hamilton never entered the equation.
Of course your right. A simple mistake. The point I was making remains the same though.
By the way, you've got one too many e's in Kewee. ROFL
See how easy it is to make an error. LOL

In this case I don't believe the reg's are being changed.
It's just a very badly worded reg' which has allowed it to be exploited in this manner.

It was a badly worded reg that RBR rightly took advantage of

And 11 other teams are either kicking themselves for not thinking of it... or not being aggressive enough when taking advantage of it...

Well if they didn't agree and didn't accept Red Bull's explanations then why were they allowed to race and keep their points? Ridiculous. This also isn't from a biased stand point, I'm just annoyed that the stewards were so undecisive when simple analysis shows that if the stewards don't buy RB's excuses then they are clearly in breach of the rules

IMHO, the reg in question must have some sort of mitigation... based on a set of circumstances or particular circumstance... RBR most likely when questioned referred to this circumstance... the stewards had a choice... either call them liars or grit their teeth and fix it on Monday... which they have done...

Josh - I suspect they were allowed to start for the same reason that James Hunt was allowed to take the restart of the 1976 British GP, Michael Schumacher's ban in 1994 started at the Hungarian GP and Renault's ban for the 2009 European GP was quashed.

Kewee - no... RBR complied with the rule as written... as confirmed by the stewards on Sunday morning. Now the rule will be clarified (i.e. changed).

I do not believe it was the FIA that found this out by themselves... these settings have been in use since Valencia... so there are two full races, qually and practices of data available... the rumour was McLaren nudged the FIA... that is how the game is played, has been played and will always be played...

Just because there is a loophole, it doesn't mean it should be exploited.
Red Bull could have alerted the FIA to it instead of gaining an advantage. All it does is taint Red Bull's legacy.

Rightly or wrongly it is the nature of the beast... don't hate the player... hate the game (and in this instance, its inadequate rule book).

Direct your anger at the FIA who had A LOT OF TIME to write that rule... and also kinda know how the teams operate vis a vis the rules

I'm going to look for some loopholes in the FF1 regs. Let's see how you all feel when I exploit those...

Sport is nothing without ethics. It is incumbent on participants to adhere to the spirit of competition, I think.

Well said jez101.

To make a ridiculous analogy, foreign embassy personnel, personnel contracted by the UN on peace keeping duties, etc. have diplomatic immunity; that doesn't mean they should all break the law of the country they are stationed in.

As jez alludes to, something called morals and ethics prevents most people from doing that.

Does anyone find it ironic... with these settings in use for the two previous races (and all the data available)... that on the morning of the incumbent WDC's home race, the teams owner just a hop skip and a jump away in Austria... McLaren's impressive upgrade package having being implemented... that Jo (asleep on the job) Bauer stumbles across this at 7am ?

Don't make me start the "McLaren Dibby Dobber" thread...;)

(to be fair, it will be Ferrari Dibby Dobber :embarrassed: in Hungary... and RBR in Italy...:embarrassed: )

I'm going to look for some loopholes in the FF1 regs. Let's see how you all feel when I exploit those...Sport is nothing without ethics. It is incumbent on participants to adhere to the spirit of competition, I think.

I have no doubt that those rules are iron clad and not subject to interpretation... and if they aren't then time to :spank: the author(s)... for being very naughty naughty boys...

Back
Top Bottom