Driver Numbers

I've updated the table in the first post with the allocated numbers. Seems to me that anyone who has picked a number under 30 (basically everyone) has missed out on any sort of marketing opportunity as all the numbers are so similar and close together.

sushifiesta - I think there are marketing opportunities there...

CTA.png

CTA.png

teabagyokel I hadn't really thought about the merchandise side of things, there's clearly opportunities there. My trail of thought was being able to recognise the driver from the plain number alone - I'm not going to be able to tell Vergne (25) and Kvyat (26) apart just be looking at their numbers on the car for example. I'll forget which is which. Unless we end up with stylised numbers on the cars maybe.

I never used to recognize drivers by their numbers anyway for instance the only way I could tell Hamilton and Rosberg apart last year was because Rosberg wore yellow gloves I recognized Button by his helmet and Sutil and Maldo because they were just plain crap and crashing all the time....

Last edited:
Personally I think this whole 'choosing numbers thing' is a stupid idea....... if the sport has no tradition of letting drivers choose their numbers (which it doesn't) then I don't see why everything should change now. If the authorities want something to market, then maybe the rulemakers can sort out the cars to improve the spectacle which will then allow the powers-that-be to market, er, the racing.

Formula One actually has the complete opposite tradition to 'letting a driver chose his number'. Numbers were always determined by which team you were in and were used to show a drivers position within that team.

All this does is add my fuel to the fire of the myth F1 is a competition between individuals which it really isn't. Every ship has its Captain but no one is stupid enough to think Columbus single handedly tried to sail round the world and nor should anyone think any driver ever has single handedly won a world championship.

Formula One actually has the complete opposite tradition to 'letting a driver chose his number'. Numbers were always determined by which team you were in and were used to show a drivers position within that team.
That's what I meant to say, but I got all confused with the double-negative :s

I think you will find it is called papering over the cracks but F1 doesn't have any cracks in it, it has ****ing great big chasms.

Cracks pfft I could live with cracks

Last edited:
Has any driver used 13 before as his number? In the last system it was omitted. It didn't come up in either list during my research.

Back
Top Bottom