Poll Did Hamilton do the right thing?

Did Hamilton do the right thing in Abu Dhabi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't see anybody say Hamilton shouldn't have backed up Rosberg.
I did day that, and I stand by it. Because in my opinion it would be OK to do that of a driver of a different team, but not to a driver of your own team. It's not in the interest of the team to have Rosberg lose positions. Even if the WCC is already decided, a 1-2 is preferable for the team over a 1-3 or 1-4. You can let them race, but you cannot let the team lose positions due to them racing.

And I'm not trolling when I say it, I have a different point of view. In my opinion F1 is mostly a teamsport, and not so much an individual sport.
I personally thought Rosberg shouldnt have let him through in Monaco.
And here again I think he should have, because he's in the same team. Although I think in the future I think he shouldn't because Hamilton has already proven that he only follows teamorders if they benefit him, so I would expect Rosberg to do the same.

After Rosberg's contract for 2017-18 was signed I also said that I wouldn't have given him a contract, simply because Rosberg and Hamilton in the same team doesn't really work out anymore,

And I'm not trolling when I say it, I have a different point of view. In my opinion F1 is mostly a teamsport, and not so much an individual sport.,

FYI,

If your opinion differs from that of a certain member, be prepared for said member to claim that you are "clueless" and "know nothing about racing".

Please ignore him and continue to show independence. Differing opinions and thought processes always make discussions far more interesting.

Absurd tby. Drivers are not obligated to tell anybody what they are going to do before the race.

Merc was going to stay schtum too right :rolleyes:

And FYI Jo, If you ask a question that you know the answer to, that was asked just a few posts earlier by someone else, which is completely irrelevant to the thread, then that is the very definition of trolling.

Seeing as he hasn't even managed to answer the poll question, or offer any insight whatsoever on the thread topic I'm left with no other option than to see it as a troll job.

edit -

And siffert_fan , I'm sure you've noticed that I have not taken issue with Wombcat's posts because he is actually bringing some thoughtful discourse to the table. You on the other hand have not added anything at all to this thread. A couple throwaway lines without any semblance of an opinion on the poll/topic at hand doesn't exactly shout, "let's have a meaningful discussion".

Last edited:
Hamilton didn't lie, he just makes it up as he goes along. When you're wallet's fatter than next year's rear tyres you can do that sort of thing. Being the fastest on the grid also helps.

Seriously though, anyone at any time, can do exactly as they please, and if others don't like it, then they can either do something about it, or do nothing. Obligation Schmobligation.

No one has to play the game. Except maybe politicians.

A few thoughts...

• I understand why Mercedes team management were keen to avoid a messy ending to a hugely successful title winning season. A collision between their drivers, or (much less likely) losing the win, would have resulted in the wrong kind of headlines altogether. At some point, Daimler will exit from F1, and they could go out at the top, as Honda and Renault did previously. If they aren't getting the right publicity to justify the huge investment, the management's future, and that of the race team, is ultimately at risk to a small but tangible extent.
  • Having said that, surely nobody at Mercedes (and few F1 followers) can be surprised at Hamilton's actions, nor that he would choose to ignore any attempted team orders. Hence while it may have been logical to issue the order, it was completely futile. Realism should have trumped principle here, and the result is that Mercedes look rather silly. Doubly so for the post race talk of sanctions.
  • As for the whole team orders question, my view is that drivers should be treated fairly, which is not necessarily the same as treating them equally. Context is everything, and I think the only sensible approach is to take account of the championship situation and the stage of the season when making decisions. Hamilton was justified in driving in a manner that in almost any other situation would have been completely unacceptable, because the Constructors' and Drivers' titles were secure, Mercedes had little to lose, and a champion should have the right to defend his crown, including driving tactically (but not unsafely, Ã¥ la Senna & Schumacher).

My final words on this topic. If you come away from the 2016 Abu Dhabi GP thinking Lewis a dirty, lying, unsportsmanlike driver then I truly pity that perspective.

I don't think it was wrong, nothing was at stake, the win was in the bag and any suggestion otherwise is nonsense. To a certain extent it is all moot now, there's no way they're going to do anything to Hamilton now that Rosberg has fled clutching his WDC. The real interesting question is who will get the other Merc seat.

Yes he did the right thing IMO.
I don't think any team would want a driver who didn't do everything he reasonably could to win the WDC.
I don't think he would have jeopardised the win and would have steamed off once Nico was 4th.
Surely the team must have thought about the possibility (especially after Horner's not so subtle comments in the week before!)

Having said all that Nico deserved to win the WDC, he worked hard and consistently over the season and yes he had mechanical luck on his side but most WDC are won with luck on your side.
Both drivers were deserving of the title this year.

having read the pundits and gone through various articles on the paper and the net the only people who appear most critical of Lewis' driving were British Ex World champions Stewart and Mansell

Stewart for saying Lewis disobeyed the team which I thought was rich pickings seeing he was No 1 during his time at Tyrell for most of his peak

Mansell saying Lewis should have done it earlier when you can Mercedes told him he would have faced being undercut

the majority have said Lewis has done nothing wrong and it was the only option for him.

Mercedes really messed up in team management

Back
Top Bottom