Poll Did Hamilton do the right thing?

Did Hamilton do the right thing in Abu Dhabi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suspect that, should the identical situation present itself next season, Nico's reply will be "I'm quite comfortable, thank you".

And Monaco is one venue where it is near-impossible to pass if the other driver isn't willing to let you by.

Last edited:
Wasn't Nico......

You knew he did. And I know you and TBY are just trolling, because anybody that believes Monaco has any relevance to Abu Dhabi is as clueless as the day is long. I'll give you some cold hard truths anyway though.

Rosberg may have been the happiest driver ever to relinquish a position to his teammate. He was pretty much ecstatic that Mercedes gave him permission to drop back. He wanted none of Hamilton's pressure around Monaco on a slippery circuit and he was utterly decimated in the race after that. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Lewis would have finished that race ahead of him anyway, just like a Red Bull, 2 Force India's, a Ferrari, and a McLaren did.

By that logic the Malaysia result had no relevance to the WDC result. It makes perfect sense what siffert and tby are saying.

I'm glad you know what Nico was feeling though and how the race would have played out. Will be sure to tap into your psychic powers in the future.

Hamilton did nothing out of the rules.
And his action was some that supported intrigue upto last laps in this race.

Mercedes rulers are needing to decide:
they do what they say and allow his drivers to fight on the road,
or they are liars.

Constructors Cup was for Mercedes before race.
Championship was garanteed for Mercedes drivers.
And what do they want?

I can't believe any team would expect to ask a driver to effectively abandon any hope he had of retaining his title (and in a very public way) for the sake of a championship that was already won.

All though I'm a Senna fan through and through, I can well imagine how Prost felt when his own team manager went to the stewards to argue against his win and to reinstate his closest rival and teammate. If he wasn't already on his way out of the door, he would have been after that.

Can I just say that I would have thought these actions just as unprofessional regardless of the driver involved. This is not an anti-Hamilton thing more about playing the game fairly. Within the rules of the sport Lewis was perfectly entitled to do what he did I simply question whether it was the right thing to do in a sporting context. You also have to question what this might do for the way the Mercedes team works in the future but F1 drivers rarely consider such things in the heat of battle.

Looking at the poll it appears I'm in a minority, which is fine. None of the discussion here is likely to make me change my opinion though.

I'm pretty much with you on this FB. As said in a previous post I would have preferred Hammy to race away with it, but if he so decided to back Nico up then better to have done it with more guile than he did. I don't agree with Joe Saward's view that "Lewis did a quite brilliant job". Hence I haven't voted - it's not a yes/no question for me.

They are raising a point

I'm sure we'll be hearing from them again soon, but I suppose the implication is that because Nico happily moved aside in Monaco when told his teammate was much faster, then Lewis should have given it full beans when told by the team that he was much faster in Abu Dhabi.

I see no correlation and I'm certain this never entered Hamilton's decision making process. The two situations are night and day.

In the end, the question posed in the thread boils down to, "Should Lewis have fought for the Championship or conceded?" I would not support a driver that gladly selected option 2.

KekeTheKing, crystallising the point down to "Should Lewis have fought for the Championship or conceded?" is a good way of looking at it. Agreed, who could look at that question and say no he shouldn't have fought? But it conveniently ignores the fact that there was chicanery (pardon the pun) involved in Hamilton's fight. It's how he fought that's the issue, not the fight around it.

Merc won't do anything because they can't, but they won't forget it either.

KekeTheKing you are robust in the defence of your argument, which is fine but accusing others of trolling when they are raising points that have been written in articles in motorsport publications is a bit to strong.

Also your pithy line about 'hearing from them then soon' I find needlessly antagonist.

I don't believe for one second Hamilton would have responded positively to an instruction to speed up in that race. Rosberg may have chanced his arm in asking for it but I think even he would have been surprised to see it happen.

That said, credit must be given to Rosberg for following team orders when they were given to him. Its a relief it didn't have an impact on the championship.

Its also worth pointing out that Hamilton failed to follow team instructions in Bahrain a few seasons ago to let Rosberg through so there is history there.

I can well imagine the outcry of the racing boots were on the other feet.

I guess another way of wording this thread is 'did Mercedes do the right thing in asking Hamilton to speed up'?

I can well imagine the outcry of the racing boots were on the other feet.

I think we pretty much know how Hamilton responds to any driver going slower than his car is capable.

in Bahrain

Are you thinking Hungary 2014? Where Lewis' car caught fire before turning a Quali lap?

And maybe these anecdotes are worthy in a broader discussion, but I fail to see how any of them matter when it comes to Abu Dhabi 2016. Which for some strange reason an incredible series of radio transmissions are being interpreted as an ordinary "Team Order".

I guess another way of wording this thread is 'did Mercedes do the right thing in asking Hamilton to speed up'?
The answer to that question is absolutely clear: No. Certainly, in hindsight, the win (or even the 1-2) was never under real threat. The team on the pit wall completely messed this one up.

Can I just say that I would have thought these actions just as unprofessional regardless of the driver involved. This is not an anti-Hamilton thing more about playing the game fairly. Within the rules of the sport Lewis was perfectly entitled to do what he did I simply question whether it was the right thing to do in a sporting context.

Could you better articulate why? Do you also disapprove of the typical antics of the race leader at a restart after a safety car?

I didn't see anybody say Hamilton shouldn't have backed up Rosberg. They are saying Rosberg proved he follows team instructions, however in the future, knowing how it could have played out, he shouldn't ever let Hamilton through again. He should do a Max/Seb/Lewis.

I personally thought Rosberg shouldnt have let him through in Monaco.

Back
Top Bottom