Le Mans DeltaWing Racing Car to participate in Le Mans 2012

It's going to be fascinating to see how it performs on track.

I just can't shake the feeling that the design is fundamentally wrong, but these guys should know what they're doing.

Bond.jpg

Bond 875

Period: August 1965 - March 1970
Firm: Bond Cars Ltd., Preston, Lancs.
Production: 3,400
(Mk I, Mk II, Ranger Van/Estate)

Weight: <400 kgs; 8cwt
Top speed: nearly 95 mph
Acceleration
0-60 mph:
16 secs (Bond 875);
14 secs (Ranger)

The prototype Bond 875 was announced shortly after the 1963 Motor Show. A complete 875cc Imp engine was used in a lightweight 3-wheeler with a fibreglass bodyshell. The car's lightweight (less than 400 kgs) enabled the low-compression (8:1) commercial version of the engine to be used. (2 star petrol)
Rootes slowed things down with their concern over high running temperatures, but the car was publicly announced in August 1965. Public attention was caught when racing driver John Surtees unofficially broke the equivalent saloon car lap record at Branch Hatch, attaining 100mph.

This the Bond Bug that always comes to mind for me.

bb700es.jpg

and this was cool when I was kid.

Think the Delta Wing cars will be a bit more stable though.

I've been looking for a proper pic' for 2 weeks! Funny thing though, it was quite pretty. I often wondered what it would have been like with a tuned up motorcycle 1100cc Kawasaki motor in it instead of Reliant's own archaic motor.:thinking: Did see a body attached to Top Fuel dragster at Brighton Speed Trials one year. Now that was funny!:)

There was some doubt over who would be providing the engines - obviously we have our answer now. I'm intrigued as to how it will perform - Nissan surely wouldn't get involved if it wasn't reasonably credible?

I think that Ben Bowlby has shown what is possible with some determination. Having seen some of his work in action very early on in his career, I have to say he has done very well for himself, I was unable to find any information on the VC90, which if I recall was his first foray into race car design.

I have to admit that I was a little cynical when looking at the delta concept, as every bit of me says that the thing would understeer, but looking at the pictures, and watching the videos, it seems that they have clearly got round the difficulties, and built a very capable car.

It will be interesting to see how it performs against other, more traditional designs.

Bet that’s so easy to forget how wide the rear is when fighting or overtaking. Its like filtering in traffic on your motorbike then remembering you’ve got your panniers on.

Looks amazing! Was that Dario Franchitti driving in the onboard video?

Could give Audi more of a challenge than Toyota with whatever they bring

Good article here.

Doug Fehan, head of the Chevrolet Corvette racing program, fielded two cars powered by massive 5.5-liter 500-hp V-8 engines at Le Mans. An hour after the DeltaWing crash, he sat in the pits and offered an epitaph.

"Ben Bowlby is one of the bravest men I know," he said. "He gave up everything to follow this dream. In the end, he knew one of two things would happen. People would walk up to him and say [in a mocking tone], 'So, you designed the DeltaWing.' And his career would be over.

"Or they'd say [with reverence], 'So, you designed the DeltaWing.' And he'd be a hero."

Fehan smiled. "He's a hero."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...adical-experiment-in-racing-11000792?click=pp

Back
Top Bottom