Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

Looking like a future World Champion, which I think has suprised many after his time at Toro Rosso. Just shows how much difference the car makes. Looking forward to seeing him and Kvyat teamed together next year when Seb buggers off to Ferrari.

Looking like a future World Champion, which I think has suprised many after his time at Toro Rosso. Just shows how much difference the car makes. Looking forward to seeing him and Kvyat teamed together next year when Seb buggers off to Ferrari.

Maybe it also shows how much of a difference driving an average car makes when you end up in a much better car with similar rear end / grip characteristics ... I would hazard a guess the confidence of being able to drive probably the best chassis / downforce combo in the field coupled with the experience in handling a tail happy rear end with his smooth driving style has ticked all the boxes ...

Watching the head on shot of him through the swimming pool section ... of the drivers I saw I think only Alonso and Hamilton looked as aggressive as DR ...

The smiling assassin methinks ... too often in past seasons when the RBR would get stuck after a pitstop behind slower cars ... or make a bad (ahem ... keff keff) start ... MW just couldn't get past cars fast enough ... Seb always found a way ... and so does DR ... another top notch drive from Sauber territory after avoiding the triple pike forward roll of Massa ...

VwGajgX.jpg

Daniel is unlike most Australians who come out brash straight talking and sometimes arrogant. He's just a breath of fresh air and long may it continue. He's the complete opposite of Mark Webber in that respect.

Behind the wide grin he 's taken everything in his stride and not gotten overrawed with being teamed with Vettel.

There is no doubt he has got talent and there is a burning desire to win but certainly not win at all cost mentality that we have seen with a lot of modern drivers. He reminds of drivers of the yesteryears who you had to respect for their ability in the car but off the track could get along with

With his talent and age he has to be the most desirable driver right now. That's before you get to his marketability and being easy to work with.

I'm sure his agent's arrogance and greed will start to shine through.

He really does seem to be a breath of fresh air, the recent passing of Jack Brabham made me reflect on how drivers used to be (apparently) less whingey.

Real personality cuts through all the nonsense of whining children and passive-aggressive radio traffic.

I do worry though, that very few drivers make it to the top of the tree without that ruthlessness that you see in so many. Mika, Damon and Button were perhaps the only "nice guy" world champions in the last 20 or more years.

He does seem a nice lad it has to be said and I do think we have to credit Red Bull for giving him time to find his feet in F1 and develop as a driver. I was unimpressrd initaly I have to say but he really has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 18 months.

Back
Top Bottom