Current Daniel Ricciardo

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by RasputinLives, Oct 5, 2011.

1. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    IMO DR is the equal of Hamilton, Vettel, Max etc and I believe that, in equal equipment and with no favoritism being shown, would quite likely embarrass the above mentioned. There is little doubt that RB has been favouring Max since they hired him, lest they look like idiots for lavishing so much money on him.

I would love to see DR, at the very least, finish ahead of Max next year. Given the Mercedes advantage (so great that, IMO they may have been stage-managing results to make the Red Menace appear more competitive than they really are. Notice the instant .5 sec/lap advantage they have suddenly come up with?), it is doubtful that anything more than that lies in the realm of wishful thinking.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    You think Max is on same level as Hamilton and Vettel? I'm not sure I've seen the evidence to suggest he can get anywhere near either or them over the course of a season.

gethinceri and Chasz like this.
  4. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    No I don't, but the RB team clearly does. I named him because I was naming the number one driver for each of the top three teams.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Chasz likes this.
  5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    In terms of driving ability, I'd say Danny is as good as any driver at the front end of the grid. Where he is lacking, and why he'll never be a WDC in my opinion, is that he's not a ruthless git. That's the 5 percent on top of talent that makes the difference between an extremely talented driver (Berger, De Angelis, Peterson and Warwick for example) and a World Champion (Hamilton, Lauda, Senna etc).

Very occasionally, less ruthless guys do win the WDC but the effort in doing it knackers them out (Damon, Hakkinen and Rosberg).

The dangerous drivers are those that are ruthless gits with less talent than their rivals. Verstappen could be in that category.

6. Clay

Clay Test Driver

The current Red Bull line-up reminds me of Hamilton and Alonso in 2007. Ricciardo is the more experienced and less error prone driver, while Verstappen has the upper hand on him when it comes to qualifying and race pace, but is slightly more like to make a mistake, e.g. attacking or defending at all costs.
    Both careers are wasted at Red Bull at this stage or in Ricciardo’s case at Renault next season because they won’t be competing with Mercedes and Ferrari for some time. The Honda though does seem to be on par with Renault and we’ll have to wait and see how the relationship between Honda and Red Bull pans out.

7. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Except Ricciardo isn't a two-time world champion. Or even a one-time. Or ever will be. But essentially I agree Clay.

Max is I think getting a great start at Red Bull - he's in a decent car but not at risk of losing a close-run world championship. It's a very safe place to be - until very soon, when he'll need to get a wiggle on and start racking up trophies. When he is in a title-winning car I think he'll do just fine.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm still unsure about Max. Big talent no doubt but I just think 'Jean Alesi' everytime I see him. Will be happy for him to prove me wrong though.

Danny Ric? I just think Nigel Mansell. Amazing charges and can beat the best on his day. Will be loved by nearly everyone but will never be talked about as one of the 'true' greats.

9. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Very soon the #1 seat at Merc or Ferrari will be availavle and thestrapon will get it.

10. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    Max reminds me most of Gilles V.....spectacular at times but too wild to ever be a WDC.

I have also heard that setting up a car is not his forte, so, when he completely fouls it up, they put DR's settings on Max's car for the race, since DR excels at set-up.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  11. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives You could compare Max to Andre De Cesaris I mean how many chassis has he junked ? the other day they talked about Marcus Ericsson being involved in 11 accidents in 5 seasons saying that is not a great record for an F1 driver . I guess no one is mentioning Max' accident rate lately because he is a on a fat pay

--------------------
    Ricciardo does seem to have the worst of the reliability issue and really let it out that a piece about 8cm broke made from the team he is about to join. I have to say its more an installation issue in that Red Bull want the engine to suit their chassis but there are small differences between their chassis and Team Enstone's which is causing reliability issues

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice