Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

Just a question. If it was Stroll or Hulkenburg this weekend that got the penalty would there still be the uproar. Surely its only because Riccardio at his home race who had a chance of victory/podium

Nope, I think no matter the driver, the punishment didn't reflect the crime. It is understandable that the home fans will be me upset than most though.

I do feel that Australians do the same as the British. Build them up and bash them down. Ricciardo has to be 100% perfect in Australia, it’s just not going to happen is it.

I still think that if Riccardio was allowed to have a reprimand. Then the next team would say you gave Riccardio had a reprimand. Why have we got grid penalty. & you can create grey areas in red flag, As they are of most serious you cant just in hindsight say it wasnt car problem because like double yellows & red flags so you dont know what could be around next corner. & he was over the delta. I feel if it was car not contention. It would be more accepted as we wouldnt be letting our heart rule

Not been a good weekend for aussies grid penalty, cricket captain likely to resign & boxer just got KOd out cold in title eliminator

It is a good time to make a statement like this as the end of the season is a long time off. If it happens they cab shout it from the rooftops, if it doesn't it will be quietly lost in the mists of time.

Cynical? What me? Never.

Well I remember Raikkonen doing a similar thing in early 2006 with Ferrari to replace Schumacher so he aint the first . If I was Daniel I'd be frustrated with Red Bull and Renault but also make it clear he aint going to move over for Seb like an obedient lackey

I can't remember who was it but someone did not rate Ricciardo on here and today Daniel showed why he deserves a seat at either Ferrari or Mercedes if he was not staying at Red Bull. The overtakes were Mansell like full commitment , perfectly positioned with the car, bold , aggressive and clean

a well deserved win

Ricciardo's record continues - in all six races that he has won, he has started no higher than fourth and outqualified by his team-mate on each occasion.
Ava.png

What he shapes up as a complete driver against the others is debatable but one thing is for sure he always takes his opportunities. I can only think of one race (Monaco) where he had the chance to win and didn't take it and that was his teams error not his.

RasputinLives - The Spanish GP of 2016 is another where he could have won it but his strategy was ineffective.

If you look at those six races, it is evident that Ricciardo keeps his head while others are losing theirs. Look at the other drivers who scored in each race: Alonso and Bottas - experience and an ice-cold temperament. Those are some incident packed races - Massa and Perez, Hamilton rolling along the gravel, Vettel binning it, Hamilton and Rosberg at Les Combes, Bottas and Rosberg, Verstappen and Ricciardo's team-mate racing, break-tests, nudges, headrests, at least two Force India team-mate collisions, Raikkonen with no steering wheel, Stroll vs Bottas on the line, Verstappen and Vettel, Safety Car pit-strategy...

I'm sure that's not even scratching the surface!

Back
Top Bottom